Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for J. Jonas > Reviews

Content by J. Jonas

J. Jonas

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Leonidas Belgian Chocolate Gifts: 35 Luxury Assorted Chocolates 590g, Gift Box
Leonidas Belgian Chocolate Gifts: 35 Luxury Assorted Chocolates 590g, Gift Box
Offered by Chocolate Express

5.0 out of 5 stars good product, 15 Feb. 2017
Fast service and good product, have liked Leonidas chocolates for years.

Love Yourself Lovable: Realising Your Authentic Loving Self Through The Profound Yet Simple Practice Of Ho'oponopono (How to love yourself Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for modern life, 14 Feb. 2017
Before reading this book I had never heard of the Hawaiian practice of Ho’oponopono, a method of mantra healing and connection with Spirit/Divine/higher consciousness, although I had seen one article about the astonishing healing powers of shamans who are based in Hawaii. I have had an interest in matters related to the spiritual for a long time so this book was just right for me.

It begins with a brief history of the founders and exponents of Ho’oponopono, the meaning of which is ‘to make right.’ Hawaiian society has an ancient spiritual tradition. A woman named Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona took the tradition and used it as a basis for a modern healing system. Several other notable people are mentioned as well, including a leading figure named Dr Hew Len.

The next section of the book deals with the beliefs underlying the Hawaiian teachings, the core of which revolves around human nature and the possibilities for transformation opened up by surrender, letting go and transmutation of problems and negative beliefs. The practice of Ho’oponopono does not involve analysis of problems – it operates on a basis of instinctive realisation of what constitutes a problem by asking oneself ‘What do I need to let go of?’ rather than apportioning blame on others.

This is a view that I found especially liberating in this context, and where this book differs from so many others dealing with similar subjects is in the clear explanation and outline of how to practice Ho’oponopono. It is profound yet simple at the same time, partly using a daily mantra to achieve positive results. Readers may think they have come across similar ideas before, but this is very different in the ease with which one can practice daily. It is a form of deep healing that is perfect for the modern way of life. The final part of the book gives personal examples of how Ho’oponopono has transformed the author’s life.

The book is highly recommended because of the clarity and simplicity of instructions for anyone wishing to improve their daily outlook.

The Jewel Box
The Jewel Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent writing, 3 Feb. 2017
This review is from: The Jewel Box (Kindle Edition)
I haven’t read a romance novel in years, so this was a departure and a challenge compared to my normal fare of biographies and factual books. I’m not a fan of romance novels, since my first encounter with them years ago via Mills and Boon steamy shirt-rippers, but I wanted to try something new. When I began, I thought I wouldn’t like it. I have been so surprised! This doesn’t read like a work of fiction but more like a true account of a real person, and it is a credit to this accomplished author that she treats us to a fly-on-the-wall experience, spanning a few decades in the family’s life.

It is a tale encompassing passionate, lasting love that is thwarted by events and other personalities besides the rollercoaster emotions of the main characters, Cherie and Gabriel. My heart sank when the book opened with Cherie seeking work as a sexy dancer in a ‘go-go’ bar, thinking the entire book would be set in the bar called The Jewel Box, but the action moves through many other locations and involves many different characters along the way. The story never loses the reader’s interest as we follow the life and progress of Cherie and Gabriel. The extra characters are an addition to the whole rather than being a distraction, as happens in some other books. I never had difficulty knowing who was who, or their relationship to the main characters.

The writing is excellent and flows well. Highly recommended to people who like romance novels, and even to those who don’t. It’s a great book, well worth anyone’s time.

Bobby's Girl
Bobby's Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting book, excellent style, 3 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Bobby's Girl (Kindle Edition)
At first read of a few pages this appeared to be a sweet boy-girl romance set in the East End of a London still recovering from World War Two, but appearances are deceptive. This tale has grit and reality at its heart, and the depiction of hard times is excellent.

We see the world through the eyes of Kate Keegan, who is eleven when the tale begins. We follow her through times of exquisite love and exquisite pain as she experiences the first romance of her young life, as deep and meaningful as any adult romance. She and her friends play among the ‘bommies’ – bombed out buildings left after the war – and as she matures the reader is led into the depths of her relationships with the Alley cats gang, one of many gangs that arose in that era. There is tension between them and the Hellcats from a nearby area.

Although told from a simplistic viewpoint appropriate for a young teenager, the book displays a complexity of emotions little understood by the characters who feel them, but portrayed well by the author. An enchanting book, especially recommended for a young adult readership and for those who want to know what London was really like in those times.

Tourists of the Apocalypse
Tourists of the Apocalypse

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 2 Feb. 2017
An intriguing premise in this book by an accomplished author, Tourists of the Apocalypse holds interest from the first page. I can’t write too much about the plot without giving away spoilers, but the tale unfolds in a way that is riveting. I could see this book being made into a popular sci-fi film.

We see the action through the eyes of Dylan, who is thirteen at the time the story begins. He is fascinated by new neighbours who arrive in his street and take over three houses, living quietly but mysteriously, talking about a ‘Fail Safe’ they never elaborate on. Dylan’s family life is dysfunctional until they appear and they help him, offering basic employment. Although they are on friendly terms with him and his mother, Dylan’s neighbours never divulge what is going on, providing only hints about their purpose. Later in the book, when that purpose is revealed, it comes as a surprise to him and also to the reader. This is a tale that grips from the beginning and holds the reader’s attention on every page. Highly recommended to fans of science fiction, and to any reader who wants a thrilling ride.

Crazy for Alice
Crazy for Alice

5.0 out of 5 stars I was hooked, 2 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Crazy for Alice (Kindle Edition)
The author has a vivid imagination and a flowing style of writing which has produced a fast-paced story that keeps the reader gripped from the beginning. The phrase ‘I couldn’t put the book down’ is often overworked but in this case it was true. I was so hooked I was on the edge of my seat as I read chapter after chapter to find out what happened next.

The characters are believable, the scenarios and interactions between them dealt with in a way that makes the reader feel as if they are there, witnessing the love, anger, betrayal and ultimate understanding portrayed on the pages.

Classed as a Young Adult fantasy, the book can be enjoyed by adults too, due to the originality of the story and the liveliness of the action. An excellent book.

Wood, Talc and Mr. J: We never had it so good... (The Rowlings Years Book 1)
Wood, Talc and Mr. J: We never had it so good... (The Rowlings Years Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, endearing and intelligent writing, 2 Feb. 2017
This is an enchanting book, a slice-of-life written in literary style, easy to read and enjoy. It follows Phillip’s life in Northern England during the late 1970s by way of music popular at the time in the many clubs he frequents. Life with his family is portrayed in whimsical, sometimes poetic manner, and I loved the scenes of banter involving family interactions. The book is intelligently written, funny, endearing and original in its use of prose to convey atmosphere without sinking into cloying detail.

Most of the musical references, and others, went over my head as they are specific to the era., but those I did recognise were used in a delightfully humorous way, making me aware of what I was missing the other allusions I didn’t get. There are plenty of compensations in other quips and lively descriptions. All in all, a joy to read, a tale that is absorbing in its portrayal of a young man’s changing relationship with the world, his friends and his family. Highly recommended.

Cherry Liqueur Chocolate Gifts, 16 Luxury Dark Cherry Liquor Creams from Premium Chocolatier Leonidas, Gluten Free (300g)
Offered by Chocolate Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Dec. 2016
I know Leonidas chocolates very well and they are always good quality. This service from Amazon makes it easier to obtain them. Highly recommended for anyone who is a chocoholic or simply wants to try the best Belgian chocolates with an excellent cherry liqueur centre.

Waiting in the Wings
Waiting in the Wings

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and witty, 14 Dec. 2016
I have come to expect a well-constructed, intelligently-written book from this accomplished author, and Waiting in the Wings ticks all the right boxes. The story of the author’s rollercoaster relationship with her mother is told with honesty. She regrets that she cannot say the words, ‘I love you,’ to a mother who has been exasperating and difficult to deal with, even in her vulnerability and defiance as she clings to her independence and refuses professional care help. Although the author can’t say the words, we see through her daily actions and patience, the love and compassion that lie beneath.

I applaud the author’s courage in writing so openly about her family, laying bare her thoughts about them – it takes guts to do that and it takes excellent writing to put across a tale that is absorbing, funny and poignant. Waiting in the Wings achieves all that. I felt as if I knew the characters as much as my own family, which is due to the power of the dialogue, the narration and descriptive passages. I became the fly on the wall, observing events as the author explored the past and the present, combining her life story with that of her mother. The flashbacks are never confusing. The book drew me in, held my attention and had me laughing aloud at some the characters’ antics. Highly recommended on so many levels, not least for the portrayals of heartache, comedy and a willingness to allow love and wit to prevail.

The Case Of The Disappearing Corpses: Inspector Cullot Mystery Series Book 3
The Case Of The Disappearing Corpses: Inspector Cullot Mystery Series Book 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me laugh, 24 Nov. 2016
It isn’t often that I find a book that makes me laugh. The Case of the Disappearing Corpses is such a book. The humour reminds me of novels by Tom Sharpe (who wrote ‘Wilt’ and ‘Riotous Assembly’) and on occasions I thought I could discern scenarios influenced by some of the best comedy writers of the past few decades. It is parody at its best, incorporating a detective tale that holds the reader’s interest as we see Inspector Cullot, ‘the great man,’ making no sense at all with his insights and imposing manner.
The book not only parodies detective tales in general but it also pokes fun at a great many stereotypes in books of all genres. The sexy temptress, the bumbling idiot, the long-suffering sidekick who nearly gets it but doesn’t quite manage to second-guess his superior (hardly surprising since the Inspector’s insights seem to have no basis in reality) are all drawn by a sharp wit and a comical play on words. Apart from the main characters I enjoyed the introduction of Harris Cord, the famous American actor and a man still performing in action roles when clearly past his sell-by date, as though he hadn’t aged since the day he turned twenty. Nicely done. I loved the skilful writing and irrepressible humour, and recommend this book for its sheer enjoyment level. The reader won’t be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8