Profile for V Family Fun > Reviews

Content by V Family Fun

V Family Fun (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Mills & Boon Modern Girl's Guide to Growing Old Disgracefully (Mills & Boon A-Zs, Book 6)
by Ada Adverse

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 23 Jun. 2017
For me, this isn't a book that you read in one sitting - I love picking it up every now and then when I need a giggle. It gives me a few moments of escapism which is a rare event when you have four children.

Each page contains a classic black and white photo and a funny little anecdote, often something that is easy to relate to so I find myself laughing and nodding my head in agreement.

With this particular book being titled 'Growing Old Disgracefully' there are plenty of jokes about ageing and I think it would make a great little quirky gift for any woman, old or young, because we're all getting older aren't we!

This was another enjoyable read from the series, providing some light hearted relief from everyday stresses.

by Laura E. James

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming, 21 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Follow Me Follow You (Paperback)
I bought this book at the Choc Lit on Tour event in Southampton. Laura was talking about social media and how it featured in her book, I loved the sound of it so I just couldn't resist!

At the beginning I was introduced to Victoria's life and immediately connected to her struggles with her little one (although I must admit her son Seth behaved far worse towards her than mine ever have towards me) - it always amazes me how small people can cause so much chaos and bring even the strongest grown-up to their knees. The moment Victoria decided to do something about his behaviour had me punching the air, I was rooting for her.

Bringing a touch of Hollywood glamour to the storyline was Chris Frampton, a classic book heartthrob who apparently had something to hide. It turned out that Victoria knew his secret and I couldn't wait to find out what it was, my mind was whirling with possible theories! Chris was also having a few parenting problems and was trying to reconnect with his son who had clearly been through a tough time.

We've holidayed in Weymouth many times so I was excited when Victoria announced her plans to visit. It was everything I expected, the author's words transported me back to some of my favourite places and this made me feel involved. Another part of the storyline I enjoyed was getting behind the scenes of a social media network - it was interesting to see a different side to it all.

I'm not sure why (because they never do) but I kind of expected things to run smoothly on the romance front. Obviously I was mistaken and there were lots of bumps in the road, great entertainment for me as the reader but not so great for the characters. I enjoyed every drama-filled moment that followed and finished the book with a smile on my face.

Follow Me Follow You was a heart-warming tale of love lost and found again.

Policeman Pete Books: Book 7: Policeman Pete and the Cheeky Magpie
Policeman Pete Books: Book 7: Policeman Pete and the Cheeky Magpie
by Barbara Ann

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 19 Jun. 2017
We see a lot of magpies around our house and while we're out and about so this was an obvious book choice for us.

My daughter was super keen to find out what the magpie had been up to and once we had read it (about a thousand times) she decided that ALL magpies were cheeky - whenever we see one now she points at it and says "cheeky magpie might have pinched stuff mum"!

As you'd expect from a children's book, the characters were warm and easy to connect to and the colourful illustrations really brought the story to life. My daughter particularly liked the map of the villages of Saddleworth at the back of the book.

This was a lovely book that gave us lots to discuss and sent our imaginations off in all sorts of directions - just the kind of book I like to read with my children.

Mad (Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know Trilogy)
Mad (Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know Trilogy)
by Chloé Esposito

5.0 out of 5 stars A scandalously fun page-turner!, 15 Jun. 2017
As soon as I read the description of this book I knew I had to read it - it sounded edgy and a bit crazy, I couldn't wait to delve into the madness.

Wow, it was addictive right from the start. Alvina's behaviour was shocking but it was simply impossible to look away. I couldn't stop flipping the pages, I didn't just want to know what Alvina would do next, I needed to know! She was a pretty unforgettable character - blunt, mostly uncaring, unpredictable yet SO entertaining. There were certainly lots of laugh out loud moments.

Alvina was very sexually motivated so expect lots of explicit scenes. In my opinion these scenes were required to create the right atmosphere for the storyline, it needed to be edgy and gritty to successfully represent Alvina's strong personality.

I was surprised by Alvina's sister Beth, especially when she made her proposal - I had so many questions about her reasoning but feared I might never find the answers. I quickly forgot about the 'why' though as a crazy series of events followed, each of which had me on the edge of my seat wondering what on earth would happen next! Alvina seemed to thrive on all the drama as she rolled from one life-threatening situation to the next leaving all kinds of carnage in her wake.

Mad was a scandalously fun page-turner, complete with insane antics and heart-pounding action. I can't wait for the next instalment!

Holiday in the Hamptons
Holiday in the Hamptons

4.0 out of 5 stars Romantic and impulsive, 15 Jun. 2017
I previously read and reviewed Sleepless in Manhattan which is also part of this series of books by Sarah Morgan. I really enjoyed the author's writing style so I was looking forward to getting stuck in.

Felicity's life in New York was thrown all out of sync when her ex husband moved to the city, there was a real sense of panic about her and this made me keen to find out what had happened between them. They seemed so good together at the beginning of the book so where did it go wrong?

If you've ever read any of my book reviews on Me, My Books and I then you might already know how much I love a dual narrative. I just love knowing things that the other character doesn't - inside information is always the best.

Felicity was such an instinctual character, her actions were so entertaining especially her comebacks! It took a little while for me to figure Seth out as he was quite a calm character to begin with. Something that was obvious, however, was the fact that he had unfinished business with Felicity.

A big part of the storyline centered around family and what I liked most about this was how it highlighted the differences between Felicity's and Seth's families.

This was a lovely read - romantic and impulsive, it warmed me up for summer nicely.

Doodle Cat is Bored
Doodle Cat is Bored
by Kat Patrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 9 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Doodle Cat is Bored (Hardcover)
Initially this looks like a simple book and I wasn't sure my daughter would connect with it as she usually likes books with a lot to look at but how wrong could I have been - she loves it! Read on to find out why she always ends up laughing hysterically whenever we read it.

The illustrations are super bright and colourful, they catch your eye and bring the story to life beautifully.

Doodle Cat is a lovely character. If you can overlook the fact that he's a cat he is actually very relatable and reminds me of all of my children at one time or another - inquisitive, imaginative, a little bit crazy and sometimes bored.

The storyline itself is fun but it also teaches children to use their imagination and find their own entertainment. It's SO helpful when children can occupy themselves and I feel that this book encourages them to do so.

The pages that are guaranteed to make my daughter laugh out loud involve farts and Doodle Cat's bum, absolutely perfect content for her sense of humour 😂.

This book is a great addition to our children's book library, my daughter asks me to read it to her most days and I've even caught her telling the story to herself from memory whilst dissolving into giggles over bums, farts and Wizard Susan's moustache (don't ask)!

All the Good Things
All the Good Things
by Clare Fisher

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, 5 Jun. 2017
This review is from: All the Good Things (Hardcover)
It always amazes me how some authors have the ability to make you care about a character who has obviously done something unimaginable. Someone who you would consider a monster in the real world.

As a character, Beth had quite a unique voice. Every page I read took me deeper into her mind and I admit that I didn't always like what I saw but it was that which made the story interesting. I simply had to know more.

The author's writing style was emotive and drew me in easily. I was surprised to find that I could relate to Beth in some ways (mainly her love for reading and books), the way she described reading was perfect and I sat there nodding along in agreement. I also enjoyed the lighthearted moments when Beth was working at Odeon with Chantelle and the "Chuckle Sisters", not only did they make me laugh but they showed me a different side to Beth.

The storyline raised lots of questions but the one question that hung around until practically the end of the book was 'what did Beth do to end up in prison?'. I made several guesses, one of which was correct but I still wasn't prepared for how that particular scene made me feel. For me, at that moment, it erased all of the caring feelings I had towards Beth and in my eyes she quickly became the monster that I didn't think she would be. By the time I had put the book down, I felt torn - I couldn't believe what Beth had done but part of me understood the chain of events that led up to it. I just didn't know what to think!

This was a raw and thought-provoking read that overflowed with emotion but had a difficult conclusion.

The Queen of Wishful Thinking
The Queen of Wishful Thinking
by Milly Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars ... of Milly Johnson and I had heard lots of great things about this novel so I was excited to ..., 30 May 2017
I'm a big fan of Milly Johnson and I had heard lots of great things about this novel so I was excited to get reading.

I just have to quickly mention the beautiful dedication - I absolutely 'get it' Milly, our dog likes to sit on my feet too and I cannot imagine a day without him. This had me in tears before I'd even started!

As I began to read I quickly noticed the familiar location and a few of the characters, I love it when authors connect their books in this way. It was also wonderful to see the return of the Daily Trumpet, its regular mistakes were a constant source of amusement for me.

Bonnie's marriage wasn't exactly full of love and light, her husband Stephen sounded awful - controlling, cheap and totally unaffectionate. I couldn't figure out why Bonnie put up with it until a later in the storyline. I felt sad for her, she was such a lovely character.

To begin with, Lew and his wife seemed happy enough if not a little mismatched. He was a down-to-earth character, she was stuck up, spoilt and mean so I had a feeling that this would eventually cause problems between them.

I quickly became caught up in the daily details of life in the little antiques shop, the traders were larger than life and each of them captivating in their own way.

Bonnie had a secret and it wasn't until I got about halfway through the book that I had an inkling as to what it could be. There were more secrets to be discovered though, the revelations were spread across the pages and led to a series of dramatic scenes that left me wide-eyed with shock. Basically, just as I thought everything was pottering along quite nicely the author turned up and created some serious chaos.

The complexities of marriage and relationships were written in such a raw and honest way, the giggles were an added bonus making it an all round fabulous read. Classic Milly Johnson!

The Summerhouse by the Sea
The Summerhouse by the Sea
by Jenny Oliver

4.0 out of 5 stars A sparkly, summery read, 23 May 2017
What a first chapter, I finished the page thinking "OMG what just happened"! Don't you just love a striking start to a book, I know I do.

The writing was fun and fast-paced with characters who were easy to visualise. The descriptions of Ava's Spanish retreat were wonderful, I could almost smell the orange trees and feel the warmth of the sunshine on my skin.

Ava and her brother Rory were very different characters indeed. Rory, a workaholic who was so engrossed in his own little world that he forgot about those nearest to him. Ava seemed unsettled, she wasn't sure which direction her life should take. When their lives became too complicated, a spot of role-reversal took place - an entertaining twist I must say.

The summer house itself held secrets that inevitably would be uncovered but I felt like the house and its secrets were the key to the siblings being able to find their path in life. The house contained what they needed to heal.

I had a few favourite amusing moments: a conversation about FOMO, a flying iPhone, a digital detox and hip wiggling in the kitchen!

Memories of days gone by mingled beautifully with the possibilities of a new future in this sparkly, summery read.

The Last Piece of My Heart
The Last Piece of My Heart
by Paige Toon

5.0 out of 5 stars Paige Toon has done it again!, 18 May 2017
I'm a big of Paige Toon (my previous reviews can be found on Me, My Books and I) so I was really looking forward to reading her latest offering. I admit I had high expectations and I'm glad to say that those expectations were exceeded! Paige's writing is so comfortable, it's just so easy to sink into the storyline and feel like you already know the characters even though you've only just met them.

Bridget's story was captivating, I loved her quest to claim back the pieces of her heart but I was equally enthralled by her job as a writer. Both took her to intriguing places and both offered her some exciting possibilities. Bridget had such a fun personality that it was impossible not to like her, I particularly enjoyed the time she spent with Charlie, they were a very entertaining duo.

The humour was spot-on for me, I felt it added some lighthearted moments to the storyline. There were also some emotional scenes which helped me understand the characters better and brought a tear to my eye. Obviously I can't write this review without mentioning the romance - I loved the fact that it wasn't rushed or forced in any way because that wouldn't have felt natural for this story. Instead there was a wonderful slow burn that peaked with an explosive moment under the stars, it was kind of magical!

Paige Toon has done it again with an enjoyable, emotional and uplifting read that told the story of love and loss beautifully.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20