Profile for Prefer to DIY > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
SQL In Easy Steps 3rd Edition
SQL In Easy Steps 3rd Edition
by Mike McGrath

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have found for the adventurous beginner., 19 Aug. 2016
Very easy to read for the beginner like me implementing a database for my own e-commerce site, do not be put off by the glossy pictures in comic book fashion, the facts are there and the style or writing by this author is very understandable.

Flymo FVISIMO Visimo Electric Wheeled Rotary Lawn Mower - Orange
Flymo FVISIMO Visimo Electric Wheeled Rotary Lawn Mower - Orange
Offered by Co-op Electrical

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good mower, would be 5 star without the striping roller, 20 Jan. 2016
Bought over a year ago when I wanted a basic wheeled rotary mower for my patch of grass, reasonable size but by no means a lawn, nohard edges or striping required. I found the striping roller a real hindrance as it prevents wheeling backwards. Going backwards the roller can catch on a bump and as it is combined with real axle height setting mechanism it would cause that to change and scalp the bumps. To be fair they say cut forwards only. So I completely removed this roller which is very flimsy and easy to remove and cut away the plastic support brackets, (because they can dig in even better) it is now what I would rate as 5 star, beware however it may well void your guarantee!

UHU 38106 All Purpose Adhesive - 125ml Tube
UHU 38106 All Purpose Adhesive - 125ml Tube
Offered by OMGHOWCHEAP LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent general purpose adhesive, as good as it was decades ago!, 20 Jan. 2016
Once freely available, but like many solvent based products it is not so easily bought from local shops as it was when I was a kid. This glue is even better than I remembered 40+ years ago, probably because I am using it more appropriately, sticks absorbent and non-absorbent materials very well, just follow the instructions! Buying in these bigger tubes is very good value, and luckily if the tube does get squashed a little in the post, which this one did it did not squirt any glue out when it was opened, probably because the glue is not compressible and the tube material gives.

Sony CMTS20B All-in-One Audio System with DAB
Sony CMTS20B All-in-One Audio System with DAB
Offered by ASK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compact unit for general use, very good value for money., 20 Jan. 2016
I bought this in March 2015, it performs very well for such a small unit, there is some low drive noise from the case but only noticeable if one is very close and the music is quiet, but in normal use it is not noticeable. After all if you are really into high quality reproduction you would not buy such a unit. Start of music playing when loading a new CD is a little slow. However I would say that this is very good value for money unit and the sound reproduction through such small speakers to my ears is very good.

Sangamo Choice RSTAT1 Mechanical Room Thermostat
Sangamo Choice RSTAT1 Mechanical Room Thermostat
Offered by MCD Electrical - Established 1993

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit and better than digital for the older timer - controller run central heating systems., 23 Jan. 2015
Tried a digital programmable device, basically only sensed the wall temperature which caused all sorts of problems when in use, so went back to the old type like these which actually work on air temperature so all is well and predictable again. This was just what I was looking for, simple effective and easy to fit on my two-wire system, digital programmable thermostats with an old timer/controller system are unhappy bed-mates. Quick delivery, pleased.

LENOGE® Brand New 18.5V 3.5A Replacement Laptop / Notebook AC Adapter / Charger Power Supply + UK Power Cable for HP 430, 630, 2000; G32, G42, G50, G56, G60, G61, G62, G70, G71, G72; HP HDX16; Compaq Presario CQ32, CQ35, CQ40, CQ41, CQ42, CQ43, CQ45, CQ50, CQ56, CQ57, CQ60, CQ61, CQ62, CQ70, CQ71, CQ72

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, outer cable sheath broke at exit of strain relief as soon as uncoiled!, 23 Jan. 2015
Outer sheath of cable split at exit from the strain relief whilst uncoiling cable, what is the point of a strain relief if it aids cable breakage, the point is it is eye-candy. Just as well I did not buy this for a laptop, goodness knows what the electronics inside is like, still good enough for my use, you get what you pay for, if you are lucky, unfortunately.

MySQL Stored Routines: Creating Your Own Procedure and Function: A Beginner's Tutorial
by Djoni Darmawikarta

4.0 out of 5 stars Note to new users of MySQL and Workbench, 18 Oct. 2014
I originally could not find the menus referred to in the text at the beginning of chapter 1 which led me to believe that the main text of the book had not been updated, as a beginners guide this was a major oversight by the author and led me to write a poor review, now I know better I have rewritten this review.
They are in fact accessible when you have a database to access either locally or remotely and you click on the MySQL connections button on the home page of Workbench.

Beginning Database Design (Wrox Beginning Guides)
Beginning Database Design (Wrox Beginning Guides)
by Gavin Powell

3.0 out of 5 stars Old but still a relevant desktop reference for the novice., 17 Oct. 2014
Having borrowed a copy on-off from my local library over the last few years, buying a cheap second-hand copy for my novice entry into database design for my own ecommerce store I have found this book to be a useful desktop reference. I do not find it particularly an easy read, but as a quick look-up, especially the glossary near the back makes it worthwhile and appears to be still mostly relevant today some 8 years after first publication.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2015 6:06 PM BST

Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability (Voices That Matter)

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version, 30 Jan. 2014
An enjoyable thought provoking read whilst on holiday, now I am back I shall view the colour page examples on the PC Kindle App. Unlike many books the content is well presented with just enough humour to lighten heavier sections without being silly.

AA Car Essentials 9 LED Torch
AA Car Essentials 9 LED Torch

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing torch - bright and batteries last, 29 Aug. 2013
Bought with scepticism that the batteries would last well enough and the beam would be strong enough for wandering down the garden frequently at night to my shed, I was very wrong, after 9 months use with the original batteries it is still capable of illuminating 3 to 4 stepping stones ahead of me. Many sellers sell these and much cheaper but I am a firm believer that cheapest is rarely the best. The AA's item in my opinion is well made and should last for many years. Bought a second one recently for my wife to use if I fall asleep in the shed ;)

Page: 1 | 2