Profile for Ashtree > Reviews

Content by Ashtree
Top Reviewer Ranking: 192

Ashtree "JS" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Withings Home - Wi-Fi Security Camera with Air Quality Sensors
Withings Home - Wi-Fi Security Camera with Air Quality Sensors

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disappointing, and not AT ALL Android-friendly., 14 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was given this item free for review purposes. If I'd actually paid any cash for it, it would now be on its way back, and I'd be demanding a refund.
Instead, it's probably going to be on its way to the bin very soon.

I'm not sure how well this camera performs with an iThing, but on Android I've found it to be totally useless.

Visit the website, as instructed in the manual, and Android isn't even mentioned. It simply says: "To start the set up your Withings device, please visit this page using your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch."

I went to Google Play, searched for 'Withing's, and found the app there. My next problem was that of my 3 Android devices, it was only compatible with one - and that one wasn't my phone. So I can forget about using the camera to monitor my home from another location - which was the whole point of getting this camera in the first place.

Oh well. I decided to set it up on my tablet, just for the purposes of being able to write SOMETHING about it in a review. The app quickly found the device, set it up, and then halted telling me that I had no internet connection. Yeah... I'm posting this review via that very same non-existent internet connection.

So far, this has been a dead-end that I can't get past.

I was expecting great things from this pricey (and classy-looking) item. Instead, it's hard to express exactly how disappointed I am by it. I'll keep trying for another day or two, and if I can get it to function at all I'll come back and revise this review. For now, I'll just mention that an alternative wi-fi security cam (much less expensive than this one, if not so classy-looking) was totally hassle-free to set up and works flawlessly with ALL my android devices. (TP-LINK NC200 WiFi Cloud Security Camera)

Heritage Sterling Silver Studs Rose Gold Plate Celtic Teardrop Stud
Heritage Sterling Silver Studs Rose Gold Plate Celtic Teardrop Stud

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely earrings at a bargain price!, 12 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The heritage Sterling Silver Earring Studs are very pretty and excellent value for money.

They're nicely presented in a gift box which is marked “Sterling Silver”. The earrings themselves are light and easy to wear with decent backs to keep them in place. They are a nice leaf shape with a rose coloured gold effect trim and sterling silver lined hoops in the interior.

Highly recommend these earrings for a present or personal use.

Half Hitch Gin 70 cl
Half Hitch Gin 70 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars The Earl Grey of Gins, 9 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Half Hitch Gin 70 cl (Wine)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In general, gin is only something I use to make a G&T, but this reminded me that a decent gin can be a mighty fine "Sippin' Liquor". On a trip to Holland many years ago, I first discovered how pleasant neat gin could be. This product has reminded me.

This is high quality stuff. Even the bottle is so pretty and heavy that I considered pulling off the labels and using it as a decanter.

As for the drink itself, my first thought was of Earl Grey tea - so I was quite pleased to to read the tasting notes and find Oil of Bergamot and Black Tea mentioned. Yummy.

I know taste is very subjective, but if you're a gin drinker then I can't imagine you not liking this.

It would make a great present for someone, and it also DOES make a darn fine G&T!!

Recommended.

Beurer BF 800 White Diagnostic Bathroom Scales with Bluetooth Smart and Health Manager

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down a bit by the software (and PS... inaccurate), 4 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My previous scales were considerably cheaper than this item, and gave a similar range of readouts of weight, BMI, water, muscle, etc. So, in reviewing this, things boil down to one simple question: Are you happy to pay a premium price for bluetooth connectivity?

When you use these scales, if you have a phone/tablet bluetooth paired and running the app, they will send all the readings to the app and keep a record of how you're doing. You can also get a free account at their website and store your details there (well... when their website is working, which is another story).

Basically, these scales are an attractive, accurate and well-made item. But in my mind there's no doubt that you're paying an awful lot for that bluetooth feature. I got these free for review purposes - would I buy the item again if something happened to these? Definitely not.

My previous setup (cheaper scales and MANUAL entry into a vastly better app of my own choosing) was IMO an altogether better setup, and now that I've reviewed this item, that's the one I'll be going back to. The bluetooth feature IS nice, but the relatively featureless app lets it down badly.

PS - 4/1/2016 - I've just come back to deduct another star. I've discovered that these scales were consistently telling me I was 6 pounds lighter than I actually was! Grrr...

Collins CL53BN-01 Legacy A5 Ruled Notebook - Mint
Collins CL53BN-01 Legacy A5 Ruled Notebook - Mint
Offered by Tudor Office Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great invention!, 29 Nov. 2015
This is a really novel idea, in that it manages to cut the number of electronic components down to zero. Yes, ZERO!
Obviously there are both pros and cons.

PRO:
* Pleasingly soft rubbery cover.
* No batteries or recharges needed.
* Therefore no worries about batteries running out at a crucial moment.
* Extremely robust. In the interests of testing the device fully, I have thrown it over a high bannister on to a hard tiled floor, and it suffered no damage whatsoever and remained fully functional. This was also the case when it was banged on a table with considerable force.
* I've also discovered that even if the notebook suffers minor to moderate exposure to water, it still remains perfectly functional (though it may suffer some purely cosmetic damage).
* The 'codex' form of the GUI screens makes it extremely rapid and easy to flick from one item of data to another, and they're very tactile, made of smooth high-quality material (with lines to facilitate easier and neater data entry).

CON:
* Some form of stylus will be ABSOLUTELY necessary (but none is included, which seems a bit of an oversight)
* In order to fully utilise the 'cut and paste' function, you'll also need extra hardware - a 'scissors' unit, and 'glue' or 'sellotape' add-ons (also not included).
* Due to the lack of an illuminated screen, the notebook's functionality is greatly impacted by lack of light, and in very dark conditions it becomes completely useless.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
All in all, I think this is a really great gizmo, and I'll be using it in preference to some of my electronic items. Data entry and retrieval is MUCH faster. And at this price, it's a no-brainer.

Highly Recommended.

Dower & Hall Dewdrop Silver Beaten Circle White Topaz Pendant on 46cm Trace Chain

5.0 out of 5 stars Even nicer than I was expecting!, 16 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very pretty necklace of nice quality hallmarked 925 silver. The chain is nicely designed
and of a decent length. The clasp is easy to fasten and has a silver tag with “Dower and Hall” written on it so this emphasises the good quality. The necklace is well displayed in a presentation box stamped inside and out with “Dower and Hall”. Although the box has no label to say that this necklace is 925 silver, by looking carefully with a magnifying glass , I was able to see that the necklace chain clasp itself is hallmarked with “925”. This is a beautiful necklace which makes a lovely quality gift.

The Cutting Room [DVD]
The Cutting Room [DVD]
Dvd ~ Parry Glasspool

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth watching even if you normally like 'found footage'., 15 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The Cutting Room [DVD] (DVD)
It's been many years since I've seen a movie quite as bad as this. The 'story' could be written on the back of a postcard and still leave room for a summary of 'War and Peace'. It drags on (and on, and on) tediously, until about the last 10 minutes, and even then it's an even more feeble than usual version of the 'found footage' ending.

It takes a certain amount of subtlety and talent to make a found-footage movie work, and this mess has neither.

Seriously, your time is worth more than this.

The lost art of how to draw fantasy females
The lost art of how to draw fantasy females
by Frank Granados

1.0 out of 5 stars Wildly overpriced, 13 Nov. 2015
If you're quite happy to pay more than 20p per page, then you'll probably be quite happy with this little booklet/pamphlet, and should regard this as a four-star review (the author isn't quite as good as he thinks he is).

Personally, I think that 20p per page is a rip-off price, hence the single star.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PS3)
Offered by Digitalville UK

1.0 out of 5 stars NO single-player?? Seriously?? (And now with added in-game money gouging!!), 11 Nov. 2015
I'm so, SO glad that I rented this and didn't jump right in and buy it.

Not all of us want to play on-line. Many of us enjoy the storylines (or at least, we did, up until the end of the Modern Warfare series).

But to just decide that if you're not running a latest gen machine, you're not getting the full game? That is so wrong that I don't even know where to start. I mean, did money change hands somewhere, to try to force us all to buy PS4s or something? It would have been more honest if they'd just not released it at all for PS3, instead of trying to gouge money out of us for an incomplete product.

Just unbelievable! If you have a PS3 and you want a campaign mode, avoid this like the plague.

And I'm pretty sure that I won't be buying any more CoDs from this point on.

PS... interesting how many of the five-star reviews are one-word reviews. THAT'S not suspicious at all...

Deliverance: (SPCK Classics)
Deliverance: (SPCK Classics)
by Michael Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've yet read on this topic., 10 Nov. 2015
To date, this is the ONLY sane and balanced book I've read on this controversial topic. The others have either been basically new-age psychic stuff with a VERY thin veneer of Christianity, or totally extremist ravings that see demons in every corner and under every stone, and seem to rate your chances of being possessed as rather higher than your chance of catching a cold.

This book covers all the usual areas, but in a calm and measured manner. I personally thought that the collection of liturgical material at the end of the book was extremely helpful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20