Profile for Ashtree > Reviews

Content by Ashtree
Top Reviewer Ranking: 188

Ashtree "JS" (Northern Ireland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Piccadilly Shaving Co 180 g Lime Shaving Cream Bowl
Piccadilly Shaving Co 180 g Lime Shaving Cream Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice stuff!, 10 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In a way, it's almost impossible to review a shaving product, because whether it be blades, razors, soap, brushes or aftershave, one man's meat is very much another's poison, and what one person regards as the greatest invention since the invention of inventing, another will regard as an invention of the devil.

Having said that, I liked this cream very much. Not enough to make me switch from the Proraso products that I currently love... but yes, this is a good cream.

It does all it's supposed to. A little goes a long way, rapidly whipping up into a thick, pleasant-smelling, and very slick foam. To my mind, it didn't leave my skin feeling just as nice as my Proraso stuff (or Miller's Wool Fat soap) does, but again that's probably just down to personal preference, and others will probably love it.

The bottom line? As I've said, it won't persuade me to switch from my current products (or even to use it as an occasional variation), but it's still a very good cream, and I can't see any reason to give it less than five stars.

Logitech Z533 UK-Plug Multimedia Speaker System with Subwoofer
Logitech Z533 UK-Plug Multimedia Speaker System with Subwoofer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great PC sound system, 7 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For a long time, the speakers have been the weakest link in my PC setup. I've been using a weak, sickly little set that I even have to hold close to my ear to hear some YouTube vids.

So when I was offered this for review purposes, I jumped at it.

Well... my days of barely-audible vids are a thing of the past, to say the least.

What you get: a left speaker; a right speaker; a huge woofer, and a bizarre volume/bass control (AKA 'all access pad')

I had a nervous moment when I saw that it's almost totally without instructions: just a few little pictures on the inner flaps of the box its packaged in. But these wasn't a problem - it's all pretty obvious - plug the speakers into the woofer. Plug the woofer into the PC. Then plug it into the mains. All done!

I like the set up. It's light years ahead of my precious sound, obviously. If I wanted to be just a little nit-picky, I do think that the treble is a bit tinny for my taste at times - and I'm not really a fan of the 'all access pad'. I would have been quite happy to just use the PC controls to set my volume and preferences, and it's just another thing to clutter up my desk. I also think that it seems a bit penny pinching that they didn't include the bluetooth attachment as part of this (not inexpensive) package, and made it an item which must be separately purchased.

In short, if I were depending on this as the sound system for a TV or music player, I think the treble would become a serious annoyance. But as a computer sound system, I'm perfectly happy with it.

Wahl Clip and Rinse Cordless Clipper and Trimmer Set
Wahl Clip and Rinse Cordless Clipper and Trimmer Set

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK - and you get a lot for the price., 6 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this free from Amazon for review purposes - they seem to think that I have an insatiable appetite for hair clippers, and I think this about the 5th one I've reviewed.

In a way, that's to the disadvantage of this product, but more about that later.

Out of the box, it's impressive, especially for the price. It comes in a handy carry bag, with a comb, scissors, attachments for various hair lengths, and even an attachment for each ear! (which, to be honest, I find it hard to imagine anyone actually using - but maybe that's just me)
The cutter itself looks very classy, and is very quick to charge up.

The addition of the nose/ear clipper is a nice bonus (runs on a battery - not included)

I did feel a bit let down by the actual haircut experience, compared to the other clippers I've used. It's hard to put my finger on why. The clippers are powerful enough - they'll glide through your hair easily with no painful tugging. But the end result definitely didn't feel as good as the other clippers. Running my hands over my head, the haircut felt a bit rough and uneven in comparison.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by the Philips models with their swivel heads (which make it an absolute breeze to cut your own hair - this non-swivel model felt really unwieldy in comparison). Or maybe it's the quality of the length attachments - the ones included in this set seemed a bit cheap and rubbery, with several of them bent slightly out of shape even before use. Whatever the reason, I felt that ease-of-use and the quality of the final result were worse than anything else I've used.

Not TERRIBLE, by any means - just not AS good.

Given its low price, I feel a bit mean giving it just three stars, but I also feel that four would be TOO generous. THink of this as a 3.5 review, perhaps.

The Atheist Who Didn't Exist: Or the dreadful consequences of bad arguments
The Atheist Who Didn't Exist: Or the dreadful consequences of bad arguments
by Andy Bannister

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Funny, 6 Aug. 2015
Who knew that a Christian book on such a serious subject could be so funny???

And I don't mean occasional-mild-smile funny, I mean grin-like-an-idiot funny, or laugh-out-loud-in-the-bus funny! And if you're someone who usually ignores footnotes, you won't want to ignore the ones in this book, because they will totally crack you up.

And yet the book IS serious, and the arguments are solid. If you are (or have a friend who is) an open-minded or enquiring atheist, this is THE book for you/them.

I really, really can't recommend this book highly enough.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this stuff, 6 Aug. 2015
This popped up in my 'Amazon recommendations' (I'd never heard of it before that), and I thought I would give it a go.

I'm glad I did. I use it as my shower soap, and I love the fragrance (not too in-your-face). I'd describe it as a sort of subtle spicy lemon. I also love the way it makes my skin feel.

Apparently it can also be used as shaving soap. I've not tried this (I'm too fond of Italian Proraso and Turkish Arko shave soaps), but would imagine it would do a good job.

Anyway, give it a go - highly recommended.

Proraso Shaving Bowl
Proraso Shaving Bowl
Offered by SBS UK Hair and Beauty Products

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and... not so cheerful, 31 July 2015
First, I'm a huge fan of Proraso. Discovering their pre-shave creams totally transformed my morning shaves, and I actually prefer their cheap & cheerful bristle brush to my stupidly expensive badger brush. I've been exploring their products ever since, and this is the first one I haven't liked.

Yes, it looks great in the photos - almost like a real metal bowl with an enamelled interior. In practice... well, sorry but it's not cheap & cheerful, it's just a cheap & nasty piece of lightweight plastic. I've bought proper metal bowls for less than this. I have a lovely lightweight travelling bowl made from horn that cost less.

I love Proraso stuff, but in this one instance, I'd have to say you can get far better for your cash.

Proraso Retro Styled Lathering Bowl
Proraso Retro Styled Lathering Bowl
Offered by LaBarbiera

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but not so cheerful, 31 July 2015

Tefal Infiny Force Metal Handblender HB864140, 700 W with 20 Speeds, Metal Wand, 800 ml Beaker and Patented Sauce Attachment - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-made and versatile, 14 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Tefal Blender is a good quality product which performs well.

Some positive points include: -

clear and easy to follow instructions
nicely made robust components
20(!) speeds and a turbo function
useful measuring jug (which can also be used to liquidise soup etc)
very quick and effective results
recipe book for simple sauces and mayonnaise

It's certainly not the cheapest of hand-blenders, but if you're happy to pay this price, I don't think you'll be disappointed by the results.

Vidal Sassoon Infra Radiance Diffuser Dryer
Vidal Sassoon Infra Radiance Diffuser Dryer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest, I was very disappointed by this dryer.

I didn't find that the 'infra-radiance technology' made any noticeable difference, and in fact the dryer was nowhere near as effective as my much cheaper high-street brand model.

It is heavier to hold and takes me much longer to dry my shoulder length hair, and I don't think it makes my hair look or feel better than any other dryer I've used.

I found the concentrator flimsy and awkward to attach. In short, I don't think that this hair-drier is good value for money or a particularly good performer.

Frankly, I was disappointed with it and expected better from Vidal Sassoon.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Proraso, where have you been all my life??, 11 July 2015
I've been using a straight ('cut-throat') razor for quite a few years now (using a razor that was made in the days when Queen Vic was a skinny girl, actually!), and in all that time I found that I can get a really close shave, or I can get a really comfortable shave, but that a really close, really comfortable shave, was a far from regular event.

Enter Proraso. I started by using their pre-shave cream, and I couldn't believe the difference it made. Then I moved on to their after-shave liquid, after-shave cream, and this balm.

They're all superb, and have made really close, really comfortable shaves the norm rather than the exception.

They're also *considerably* cheaper than the products I'd been using previously, by Geo F Trumper and the like.

If you feel that you sometimes need a little something to soothe your skin after a shave, you owe it to yourself to try this product - and do consider the pre-shave stuff too!

Highly recommended.