Profile for Sarah Mallard > Reviews

Delia's Cakes
Delia's Cakes
by Delia Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars No Whisky Cake !, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I have not bought this book yet but it is on my list. I have looked at the contents and I am happy with the recipes apart from one ommission, a whisky cake. Made this some time ago but I have not got the recipe and I was really hoping that it would be in this book. This had to be the best cake I have made as it was eaten by people who do not normally like rich fruit cake and won't eat Christmas Cake. From memory the fruit was steeped or boiled in whisky and then made as a rich fruit cake. The cake was then fed with whisky, marzipaned and iced with an icing flavoured with whisky and treacle. I have never had so many compliments about a cake.

I have made Creole, Whisky Dundee, Christmas Cake, Mincemeat cake and others so I have faith in Delia.

Glad to see that she has included some recipes for special diets.

I have still given the book five stars because it is worth it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2013 7:07 PM BST

Colour Me Beautiful: Expert guidance to help you feel confident and look great
Colour Me Beautiful: Expert guidance to help you feel confident and look great
by Veronique Henderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than a consultation., 29 Oct. 2012
The first part of the book focuses on determining which category you fall into. Some people will fall very easily into a category and others may find it more difficult.

I found it fairly straight forward to determine my primary colouring which is soft but had difficulty in deciding whether I was cool or warm. I came to the conclusion that I was perhaps neutral and I could dip into cool and warm shades providing that I kept it soft and not really bright.

I like the suggestions of using jewellery and scarves to tone down or brighten up "mistakes" that you have made. Pearls with a dark fabric do really soften the look.

The rest of the book is devoted to what clothes and hairstyles suit particular shapes and I found this useful. I realise now why colour blocking is not a good look on me. The final section is about your specific style and gives examples.

On the whole a good book and much cheaper than a consultation. My only wish is that there was a bit more help in deciding whether you were cool or warm when this is a secondary colouring. Perhaps they could sell the swatches that are the main determinants in whether a person is cool or warm. So if you were soft and wanted to determine whether you were cool or warm the four swatches in the colours that they suggest.

I think that what comes out of this book is that it makes you more discerning about what you buy and if you are a bit of a sale junkie that cannot be a bad thing.

Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
by Pippa Middleton

2.0 out of 5 stars Very simplistic, 29 Oct. 2012
This a very glossy book which is well illustrated. There are tips and recipes included for seasonal celebrations.

If you are a person with a modicum of entertaining and cookery skills then this is not the book for you. It is very simplistic in it's approach. Pippa almost insults the intelligence of the reader at times.

If you are a complete novice then you might find the advice and recipes useful but there is very little in it that you could not find already on the Internet. The book lacks substance and in my opinion there are much better recipes for celebrations in the plethora of cookery and entertaining books that are already out there.

I have a large collection of cookery/entertaining books and after browsing through Celebrate in Waterstones I don't think that it adds anything to what has already been written.

I suppose that if you are interested in the royal connection you may feel that you want to own this book. However anyone considering paying an extortionate price for a signed copy should consider whether it is really a good investment.

I think that I will be following the year through with Nigel Slater's new book rather than Celebrate. He shows some real passion for food.
Comment Comments (25) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2013 9:16 PM BST