Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Gary Hilton > Reviews

Content by Gary Hilton

Gary Hilton "ursinebrute" (Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hive Active Heating Thermostat Stand - Black Chrome
Hive Active Heating Thermostat Stand - Black Chrome

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but well made, 7 April 2017
My Hive thermostat is currently sat on my mantelpiece, and every time I pick it up I seem to press the "boost" button in the top, so I've wanted one of these stands for a while but could not justify nearly £30.
Today, it was on offer at £23 so I took the plunge and am so glad I did!
It's a weighty, quality product and well made. Go for it!

I, Daniel Blake [DVD] [2016]
I, Daniel Blake [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Ken Loach
Offered by LOVE DVDS

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going., 27 Feb. 2017
This review is from: I, Daniel Blake [DVD] [2016] (DVD)
Gritty, harsh and realistic is one way to describe this film.
Slow, pedestrian and dreary is another.
Yes, it illustrates a true depiction of life within the welfare system, but as a piece of entertainment it's rather bleak. Worth a watch if you get chance, but one to rent and not buy as it's not going to stand repeated viewing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2017 4:50 AM GMT

VAK® Samsung Galaxy J5 (2016) Heavy Duty Armour Tough ShockProof Builder Hard Back Case Cover Pouch With Stand For SAMSUNG GALAXY J5 (2016) + FREE Screen Protector & Cloth + Touch Stylus (Lime)
Offered by PANAAZ FASHION

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality case, 23 Nov. 2016
Bought this is the lime green: colour not as vivid as the picture but still very good.This is a quality case which appears durable and hard wearing. A friend saw mine and immediately went online to order one themselves! Not sure I'd use the stylus but great value and good delivery times. Highly recommended.

OMGAI Upgraded 30cm 8 Tubes 144 LED Meteor Shower Rain Lights of Waterproof String for Christmas New Year Party Decoration Tree, Blue( UK plug - IP44 Waterproof )
Offered by YUNKUN CITY

2.0 out of 5 stars Adequate & Functional., 4 Oct. 2016
This is a set of 8 lights. Each light contains 18 LED lights in a tube, and they hang vertically. Each individual light is illuminated briefly one after the other in sequence to give an impression of "rain' or snowfall. They are reasonably priced and look good when lit, however I have a couple of minor issues & niggles.
First of all, as already mentioned, the lead from the plug to the first light is very short. Ridiculously short. Unless your plug socket is VERY close to where you want to hang your lights your are going to need an extension lead (or attempt to extend the cable) and whilst the lights are supposed to be waterproof (time will tell) the plug itself is not. Also, there is a transformer (I think) which is only about 12 inches from the main plug and I have no idea whether this is waterproof or not? So for a set of lights claiming to be waterproof I think this is a bit of a misleading term when you consider that the plug (and probably the transformer) are not.
Secondly, the lights are "out of sync". When you first switch them on they all "fall" in synchrony. But each light is slightly "out" so they begin to randomise the longer they are on. To be fair, this doesn't spoil the overall effect (in fact, it may even add to it) but I'm not sure if this is a feature or a defect, and 1 particular light of mine is wayyyyy out of sync with the others so I suspect it is a flaw.
Finally, a few of the individual LED's lights don't work. Not a big problem because the sequence of lights fall so fast that your eye doesn't really pick up on individual lights, and it doesn't detract from the overall effect, but nevertheless there are definetly several lights defective.
Despite these flaws they still look good when lit in darkness. For a tenner I would consider them, and if they last I would say you should consider these if you want a cheap set of lights, but with the niggles I have listed I would personally spend a little more and shop elsewhere.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2016 12:30 PM GMT

Sea Team Mechanical Style Gear Elements Black Wall Clock - Quartz Movement
Sea Team Mechanical Style Gear Elements Black Wall Clock - Quartz Movement
Offered by Sea Team

4.0 out of 5 stars Great clock......IF the price is right, 9 May 2016
This is a unique, quirky clock which not everyone is going to love but it certainly grabs your attention and sparks conversation!
The first thing is, it's big. REALLY big. At roughly 2 feet diameter it need a lot of space in order to appreciate it. And it's deep; it comes out from the wall 12-13cm. It seems to keep good time (so far) and it's quiet. It takes 2 of the big fat 'D' cell batteries and there is a sticker on the battery unit advising that they are changed every 6 months so perhaps if it starts to make a noise it's time to change the batteries?
There are several gears at the top that don't appear to have any practical purpose other than to rotate to add effect. There are 2 smaller dials showing the month & date; now the month dial doesn't move and has to be manually adjusted each month, but this is clearly mentioned in the description so this came as no surprise. The date will also require a manual adjustment for those months with less than 31 dates in them, but this is just like any normal wristwatch with a date window, so again, not a deal breaker.
I was initially worried that it would look "plasticky" but it isn't too bad. What was interesting was that once it was up on the wall my son saw it and immediately loved it, but it was only on closer inspection he realised that it was plastic and it sort of put him off a bit, but he didn't even realise it was plastic until he got right up to it and touched it. I do think that it would have been an improvement to make the main wheel from aluminium or something to lend a touch of class, but I guess they had to keep it as light as possible as the main time cog (plus the 2 smaller ones) simply "hang" freely atop one cog which slowly drives them round over a 24 hour period. It is because they just hang there, resting on another cog wheel that they do swing a little if breezed past which again, just undermines the overall build quality a little.
Now this currently retails around the £80 mark, but I was fortunate enough to get this from an Amazon warehouse deal for under £40. Honestly; if I had paid the higher amount I think I would have been a bit disappointed, but at the price I paid I am delighted.

Invotis Wall Gear Clock Black (560x710x120mm)
Invotis Wall Gear Clock Black (560x710x120mm)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great clock.....if the price is right, 9 May 2016
A lot of the smaller cogs near the top and in the middle don't appear to have any practical purpose other than to rotate to add effect.
I was initially worried that it would look "plasticky" but it isn't too bad. What was interesting was that once it was up on the wall my son saw it and immediately loved it, but it was only on closer inspection he realised that it was plastic and it sort of put him off a bit, but he didn't even realise it was plastic until he got right up to it and touched it. I do think that it would have been an improvement to make the main wheel from aluminium or something to lend a touch of class, but I guess they had to keep it as light as possible as the main time cog simply "hangs" freely atop one cog which slowly drives it round over a 24 hour period. It is because it just hangs there, resting on another cog wheel that it does swing a little if breezed past which again, just undermines the overall build quality a little.

Invotis Wall Gear Clock Silver (71cm x 56cm x 12cm)
Invotis Wall Gear Clock Silver (71cm x 56cm x 12cm)
Offered by Contemporary Heaven

4.0 out of 5 stars Great clock.....if the price is right, 9 May 2016
A lot of the smaller cogs near the top and the middle don't appear to have any practical purpose other than to rotate to add effect.

Invotis, Clock with Date and Gears
Invotis, Clock with Date and Gears

4.0 out of 5 stars Great clock.......if the price is right, 9 May 2016

Invotis Wall Gear and DATE Clock BLACK/WHITE Numbers (H68cm x W56cm)
Invotis Wall Gear and DATE Clock BLACK/WHITE Numbers (H68cm x W56cm)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great clock.....for the right price, 9 May 2016

Snow White 200 Multi Coloured LED String Fairy Lights for Xmas Tree Party Wedding Events Garden(8 Lighting Functions, Memory function) - Athentic Quality Indoor & Outdoor Use Mains transformer
Offered by The Worldwide Mint

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, couple of niggles., 11 April 2016
These are a very good set of lights, suitable for both indoor & outdoor use. 200 lights in red, yellow, green & blue with8 different functions. I have two minor criticisms however:
First, the plug ( which is also the transformer) is "upside down" i.e. When you plug it in the bulk of the transformer goes upwards as opposed to down. Not a big issue you might think but if, like me, you want to plug these into an outdoor plug socket then it is impossible to close the flap. Ok, whilst these lights are suitable for outdoor use the transformer itself should go indoors, but many outdoor plus sockets have a flap or cover that lifts up and can lock down over the plug once it is inserted to provide rainproof protection, but this is not possible due to the bulk of the transformer.
Secondly, the lights don't "remember" the last setting, so every time you switch them on it goes back to the combination setting. A bit annoying if you want these on a timer.
Still, less than a tenner for a 200 multi colour set is great value.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20