Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Shop now Fitbit
Profile for Gary Hilton > Reviews

Content by Gary Hilton

Gary Hilton "ursinebrute" (Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Megableu Creepy Hand
Megableu Creepy Hand

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for younger kids!, 27 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is basically a modern version of "spin the bottle", but instead of a bottle you have a creepy Adam's family inspired "thing" hand doing the pointing!
Reading some of the other reviews on here, there seems to be several reviewers who experienced problems with their hand, but everything worked fine for me.
The main question I had before I received this was regarding the truth, dare or forfeit nature of the game cards, and if they were suitable for children? Well, yes, they are. To give you a sample here are a few:
Truth: Who in this room has the worst smelly feet?
Dare: Take a pencil between your toes and write your surname
Forfeit: Stand against the wall and imitate Spiderman until your next turn.
Truth: When did you last go to bed without cleaning your teeth?
Dare: Pretend you are a cow
Forfeit: Mime a nursery rhyme.

As you can see these are clearly aimed at children and although the box suggests it is aimed at children 7+ I think early teens and upwards might find the whole thing a bit childish. Nevertheless, there is no denying it went down a storm at my nephews 10th birthday party!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars AEG is V.Good !, 23 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are many irons out there, and at first glance this appears to be just another iron, but it handles pretty well. Not too heavy, ( even when full of water) good quality sole plate which glides nicely over clothes, and sensibly placed responsive buttons & controls. However the big selling point here is SAFETY.
There is an automatic switch off mode which works in one of 2 ways; firstly, it will switch off after 8 minutes which is great if like me you are a bit OCD and go out thinking "did I switch the iron off?" No more worries.
The second way is if it is knocked over or left face down on its sole plate, in which case there is a nice loud alarm and then after 30 seconds it switches off. Personally I would like a variable setting so I could reduce the cut off time as I feel 30 seconds is just a little too long if left face down on your clothing, but it works and that's the main thing!
Would I recommend it? YES! Even if the safety switch off feature is not the main attraction for you, this is an excellent iron in its own right.

Webbox Chicken Fillets, 100 g, Pack of 15
Webbox Chicken Fillets, 100 g, Pack of 15

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality treats for fussy eaters!, 8 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave these to a friend who's pet dog has a gluten allergy and as such, she needs to be very careful what she feeds him.
He absolutely loved these and couldn't get enough. As they are essentially pure dried chicken fillets with little else, there were no issues or side effects associated with them and I know she has gone on to purchase more, so full marks here!!

Webbox Cats Delight Lick-e-Lix Chicken, 15g, Pack of 10
Webbox Cats Delight Lick-e-Lix Chicken, 15g, Pack of 10
Offered by EXPRESS PET SUPPLIES

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd concept, but well received., 8 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Interesting concept; cat treats are usually in bite size pieces, drops or chucks, yet these are liquid in a little plastic packet ( if you've ever asked for a milk at McDonalds and been given the packets rather than the cartons then you'll hace a rough idea how big these are)
The consistency is of thick yoghurt, and I think you can put it on top of the cats food as a tasy topping. That strikes me as a bit "odd"? I use wet pouches so to then open one of these to put on the top of wet food just seems daft to me personally. (Maybe if I used dry food it might make more sense) I would rather use these as an occasional treat or as a little snack between meals, but unlike solid food I cannot put these on the floor, carpet or give it directly to my pet, but instead you have to squeeze it into a bowl.
The other selling point is that you could use this is easily disguise a tablets or medication for you pet. That makes more sense and I can see myself using these for this purpose and nothing else.
Of course, none of this would matter if the cat didn't like it but I have to say she laps them up - literally!

QuickBooks Pro 2015 Plus Payroll - 1 Year Subscription (PC)
QuickBooks Pro 2015 Plus Payroll - 1 Year Subscription (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 8 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this easy to set up initially, but you will need to invest a little time to learn and use all the features to their full potential, but once learnt you can get all the information you need with easy to use reports. Everything can be organised in one place to save time on everyday tasks, and you can track how your business is doing with one-click financial, tax and sales reports.
One feature I do not like is the the tabs, where I have to tab to the main menu to choose print, then click another tab to ship.... too many steps, too much work! And is it just me or is there is way too much white space on the screen? I have to scroll down to view all the items on sales orders, invoices, packing slips all it, even deposits. I have also come across a few bugs here & there that but generally it's ok.

Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of software for amateurs and professionals alike, 5 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I don't work a lot with images, ( other than removing red eye and cropping an image slightly ) at first I didn't think I would appreciate this photo editing piece of software, however the interface is so user friendly and intuitive that it has whet my appetite for greater things! With video instruction on certain aspects, it drew me in and made me want to get more creative in my photography endeavours!

I imagine that if you've used Corel PaintShop Pro before then you'll be familiar with the interface, but if like me you've not, then it didn't take too long to get used to it. The program is split into three main sections: Manange, Adjust & Edit, which are tabbed along the top of the window. (Curiously the third 'Edit, page is defaulted to open first - I would have thought 'Manage' a more obvious default setting?) Tagging images takes a while to do and can be tedious, but is more convenient in the future when you need to find a particular image. You can also rate images, add dates and people to them for easier searching later.

I tried the new "Magic Fill" but was less impressed than another reviewer: this command is supposed to erase unwanted objects in a photo, and fill in the "gap" by automatically drawing from the surrounding areas. It's a great idea and worked great when removing objects that were surrounded by relatively uncomplicated surroundings such as sand or grass, however it struggled with objects that sat in front of more structured backgrounds such as the regular pattern of brickwork or wallpaper and the results were less impressive.

This is clearly a very accomplished piece of software that should suit both the casual user and the professional, and looks like a real threat to Adobe, who most people consider the king of photo management!

Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 9.0W A60) - Warm White
Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 9.0W A60) - Warm White
Offered by Shining79

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality bulb, will it last?, 2 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well I didn't think I'd be reviewing a light bulb but here we go!
I have an outside lantern that seems to "eat" light bulbs: I'm lucky if a bulb lasts 2 months! At first I though there might be a dodgy wire somewhere or it was leaking water and shorting out, but as my wife points out we switch it on at dusk and it stays on until the following morning so I supose if its on 12 hours a day, EVERY day, a short life span is to be expected?
Anyway, the point is that the stated 15,000 hour life span of this light bulb attracted me to this product. The bulb itself is nice and weighty (may be an issue for some if it was going in a delicate tablelamp or even an angle poise lamp?) and it illuminates immediately. I needed a screw in type so this was perefect for my needs. I was initially concerned that the half white bulb might not "look right" but I have taken a photo and attached it and I think it looks ok?
The big issue for me is lifespan. And only time will tell. If/when it goes I will add to this review.
UPDATE: well it is now December 2016 and the bulb has just gone. By my reckoning that is just short of 6 months, so not exactly the 15,000 hour lifespan but still better than I was getting out of ordinary standard lightbulb. Not convinced I would pay £8 for it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2016 1:11 PM GMT

Hotpoint Multi-Functional Hand Blender Fully Accessorised, 700 Watt, Silver
Hotpoint Multi-Functional Hand Blender Fully Accessorised, 700 Watt, Silver
Offered by MK Cookware

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels good, works ok, 29 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First thing to say when this comes out of the box is Wow! I mean, it just looks and feels quality! with a sleek chrome satin finish and the various attachments it will impress anyone just sat on the side of your kitchen.
Come to actual use it drops a few points here and there; some attachments did not fit as snuggly as I would have liked although interchanging them was a breeze, (and the whisk in particular is wishy-washy) and the unit is surprisingly heavy but there's no denying that for chopping, grating, shredding etc it is all rather impressive! Think of this as a half-way house between a food processor and a hand blender.

IMEDEEN Tan Optimizer
IMEDEEN Tan Optimizer

4.0 out of 5 stars They do seem to have worked, 26 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a difficult product to review, as I took these tan optimizer pills before I had a weeks holiday in Tunisia, so after a week lying in the sun of course I developed a tan, but how much can be attributed to these pills and how much was due to the hot Tunisian sun?
You receive 60 tablets, so thats 2 months supply. Now you are recommended to take these for 1 month before any effects can be soon, but when I received them I was 2 weeks away from a foreign holiday, so in order to prepare ourselves for a week in the the sun my wife & I decided to share these and we split the pack, meaning we only took them for 2 weeks prior to our hoiliday, then we took them for a week whilst we were abroad, then a final week once we were back home.
I have to say that we both have a lovely even tan, and there has been no burning, heat rash, blotchy or patchy tanning and no peeling. We did use a sun tan cream with a high SPF, so is our tan down to the tablets or just our sensible approach to tanning? Difficult to say conclusively, but we both feel that these did help, and when we go away again next year, we will probably invest in another box between us.

HP ENVY 15-j140na (Intel Core i5-4200M with Intel HD Graphics 4600, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine but perseverance is required, 25 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If like me, you are rather baffled by talk of Megabytes and RAM speeds, I will try and write this review from a lay person's perspective and avoid a load of technobabble.
This modern looking and stylish laptop reminds me greatly of an Apple Mac. With its sleek curves and minimalistic design it clearly is designed for the professional and admired by dilettante's.
Powering up and operation is fast & efficient (but then aren't most brand new laptops like this before they become cluttered with countless programs?) The biggest issue for anyone considering this model is the lack of a CD/DVD drive. Now I realise that CD readers can be bought separately, but this would usually be a deal breaker for me, as I would simply choose an alternative model with a CD drive built in rather than choose one without. When you first boot up it is prompting you to set up a Microsoft live account, and then purchases and annual subscriptions can be made via your account. Now again I felt this was going slightly the way of Apple with their way of forcing the user to use their products and services exclusively. I have for example a genuine Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint software package but here I was unable to load it onto this laptop due to the lack of a CD drive, and the immediate assumption was that I would have to repurchase it using their online subscription service HOWEVER, once you play around with the settings and dabble with methods of transferring data across from other devices, I can happily report that you CAN manage to transfer data and programs from my old laptop. My son wanted to use this to access his university and at first he could not access his course timetable or "Blackboard" pre-lecture course work, forcing him to declare that the laptop was "useless" but again, after trial & error ( plus a few pointers from class mates) lo and behold he has now managed it and suddenly he prefers this laptop to his own rather sluggish one!
Ultimately I would recommend this laptop but just be prepared to rethink your way around the way you load and access information, but it is do-able and once done this is an impressive machine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20