Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now New Album - Steps Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Oatsosimple > Reviews

Content by Oatsosimple

Oatsosimple (London)

Cosmogramma
Cosmogramma

5.0 out of 5 stars Amateur?! OH PLEASE, 11 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Cosmogramma (Audio CD)
I'm compelled to write this review in response not only to the damning review from C. Allen, but also to other people I know who say this album is difficult. This album from Flying Lotus does indeed traverse a wide variety of sounds and musical ideas and as such some may reasonably comprehend this as being 'messy'. He eschews standard song forms with refrains/repeats and instead tends towards a continuous evolution of diverse musical ideas. Los Angeles also had this sort of through-composed approach but what makes this album an altogether more challenging listening experience is primarily due to the broader palette of sounds in Cosmogramma. Examples are ping pong balls, scat singing, video game sounds, the harp, trademark Flying Lotus synth sounds and so on. My words can't really do it justice - listen to the first 30 seconds of the album ('Clock Catcher') and you''ll get the jist of what this album's about.

This album is a strong example of the new areas being chartered in music in the 21st century. You've got strongly varied, experimental drum beats and rhythmic sounds which could be compared with Aphex Twin, but strike me as more soulful/jazzy. But beyond that you have this sonic exploration which I strongly believe is one of the most exciting realms of musical innovation still open in music (classical, jazz, dance, all music). Flying Lotus is one of many documenting these explorations in his work, but what sets him apart is that he is wrapping it up within the dance/electronic music and jazz genres. There are many artists also working with sound and producing more experimental sounds but what Flying Lotus is doing in an album like this is cementing these experimentations into a more appetizing and exciting output.

To label it 'amateurish' demonstrates extreme musical naivety - I can only assume that this is the comment of a non-musician who therefore shouldn't be passing judgement on the artist's technique. This is an album that exemplifies exceptional composition skill. Let me give as an example his reuse of themes. To establish unity in the album as a whole, there is a focus on harp glissandi (e.g. linking a high and low note by running through all the notes in between) and the reincarnations of it within the electronic sound spectrum. Littered through the album you will hear these: the first three tracks have electronic glissandi, the harp features prominently in the middle tracks , in the background of 'Mmmhmm', and on 'Recoiled' too. It is one means of linking the disparate sounds in the album together. Another aspect of compositional skill I would point to is the broad ranges that are covered within the music, and the texturing of the different parts is generally very good. This is not the work of an amateur.

If you're [still] reading this review and don't own the album I would strongly recommend it. As other reviewers have pointed out, it may not be for everyone - we all have our different tastes in music. It can also be challenging to listen to, but that's a good quality in this instance. Listen to it again and again and learn something new about it every time. Beats listening to Britney. You can put this on in the background and go about your business without paying too much attention, or you can engage with the music and follow it's every progression. Either way, I think it's great. 5 stars!

Long Distance
Long Distance

5.0 out of 5 stars More french fantastic-ness, 5 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Long Distance (Audio CD)
From the moment you put this CD on, you know it's going to be good. The 'Intro' track is a brilliant opening and from there the album kicks into track two where there's a voice saying 'I want to hear future funk'. Future funk this may be, but it's a heck of a homage to 80s synth funk too. More 80s influence I hear you say? Well yes, but this is much more impressive than the usual forays into that synth-heavy sound that you might hear from other artists. And you won't be bored after a few tracks of this either. It stands up well as an album with good variation and cohesion. If you're thinking of buying this album, have a listen to 'Sitting back' which is a brilliantly upbeat track and my personal favourite. There's good example of the 80s influence on 'High hopes' and 'Send me your love' is another great track. There's hip-hop r&b influence on 'My mind is gone' which is outkast-esque and 'The one' which features T3 from Slum village.

I'm grateful to my local record store who put it out on a listening post... I bought it there and then. In all, it's a great album. Now somebody tell me how the French keep producing all this great music.

Evisu 'Ebi-Grand' Gents Stainless Steel Leather Strap Watch
Evisu 'Ebi-Grand' Gents Stainless Steel Leather Strap Watch

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 14 May 2010
Yep, it's a big watch - a little bigger than I expected but no complaints there. I love the watch face - a lot of character and very unique. My biggest problem with this watch is the black Evisu branding on the side of the watch (the only side not pictured - hmmmm). I don't know what the designers were thinking. Why create a classy watch and ruin it with pointless branding which is completely out of style with the watch (it's in a scribbled italic font). My second problem is the strap. I disagree with Mr O - for me I find the butterfly clasp a pain! And the watch doesn't really feel that comfortable on either.

It gets 3 stars for being what it is you can see on Amazon - it is a unique design and quite a loud statement on the wrist. However, for the reasons discussed above, this isn't a watch I'll be wearing that often. Which is a shame because I really do love the design.

Diary of An Afro Warrior
Diary of An Afro Warrior

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good!, 12 Oct. 2009
I came to this album with little interest, or exposure to Dubstep, although I knew the sound. This sounds a bit more raw than what I was expecting - as some have pointed out, good material to be mixed at a club. But I find this good music for home actually - it's minimal and interesting, but not much melody. Suits me perfect when I want to chill - but not be sent to sleep. I dislike 'chill out music' in general, so I'm weary of associating it with that. I just mean it's not going to dominate your ears with a catchy melody. This album is about the good beats. It's got nice sparse production though you definitely need to have a volume up and a good stereo to really appreciate that. And at times I wanted more oomph.

I like the album as a whole, as opposed to the individual tracks - the notable exception being 'Pleasure' which is a CHOOOON! I get why a person might see it as a bit dull, or samey. I think that's something to be overcome through further listening. And of course, maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea. As I say, I'm not a massive dubstep fan, nor do I need Dub to breathe. I'm not an expert in this genre at all - but I like pretty much all styles of music where quality is evident. This is a good album in my book. It doesn't rock my world though.

Does You Inspire You
Does You Inspire You

4.0 out of 5 stars Who cares about Bruises?, 6 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Does You Inspire You (Audio CD)
I don't watch TV and I don't listen to the radio so I don't know all the fuss about bruises. I picked up this album in a charity shop and was impressed by the contents of the album as a whole. I actually dislike Bruises - too simple and plain. But it's a good album. It's the sort of CD I'll put on from start to finish and sits nicely in the background but it can be engaging too. Very eclectic and nicely inventive. I really like 'Le flying saucer hat' which is good fun. It sounds to me like they like their French music too. I get hints of Air from some of harmonies and arrangements - but only in places.

Most of all, this album is worth it for the last two tracks on this album which are sublime - especially Chameleon Closet.

Overall very good. I recommend this album.

The Girl Cut in Two [DVD]
The Girl Cut in Two [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ludivine Sagnier
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 3 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Girl Cut in Two [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see this at the movies four months ago with relatively high hopes thanks to a good write up and an interesting trailer. Alas, this was to turn out to be one of the worst films I have seen in recent times. Didn't buy into any of the plot which progresses too quickly... I'm left wondering where the relationships developed and thus unconvinced by the uncomfortable affairs on screen. At times it was very tacky, especially the end scene. There is nothing endearing about the girl who just comes across as a naive bimbo. The two men are creepy but only Benoit Magimel seems to have anything beneath the surface. I guess at the end I just felt that nothing in this film worked. For me, this is one of the worst pieces of french cinema I have seen.

Kenny Dope Presents Tandy Muller's Best
Kenny Dope Presents Tandy Muller's Best

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet as, 13 Dec. 2008
Really great album. Some classic tracks here, and they've got a bit more oomph than the original versions thanks to the new mixes. 'Call me' is the stand out track I reckon... I already knew the original but I like this one more. Most of the music on here is fantastic. Well worth the money. The only thing I find slightly frustrating is that the album is all mixed, so they don't really work so well on their own. The mixing is pretty good though.

Outrageous
Outrageous

4.0 out of 5 stars Outrageous, 13 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Outrageous (Audio CD)
This album is worth owning, if only for the title track 'Outrageous' which is just out of this world. The other tracks are pretty good too in general although I'd have to say I find myself skipping through the odd track (especially track three). I'm not a massive fan of synthy funk and soul but this album represents the better end of the genre.