Profile for mr david stitcher > Reviews

Content by mr david stitcher

mr david stitcher (Wirral, United Kingdom)

Back Pages
Back Pages
Offered by Music-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing album, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Back Pages (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of America since 1972 when I saw them supporting Family so yes I'm biased but please read on.
The beauty of this album is that although every song is a cover, they all have the America feel, vibe and sound. (see if you can spot the guitar riff from Sister Golden Hair) You know each track is America and if you hadn't heard them before wouldn't think they are covers. Vocals and instruments are all exceptional and the song choice is so clever.
The stand out songs for me:
Caroline -The beach boys classic, just sheer perfection in every way
Someday -I love the new radicals and this song but it's constantly in my head due to this version.
A road song- This sounds like it was written by America rather than being a Fountain of Wayne song.
America-My favourite Simon and Garfunkel song just made even better. The vocals are so beautiful-a great way to start the album.
Sailing to Philadelphia- Gerry and Dewey's different voices really bring the song to life.
Till I hear from you- The Gin Blossoms song that sounds so like it is just a typical great America song
Worth buying the album just for these 6 tracks alone!
Also goood were:
Woodstock
Time of the season
Crying in my sleep
However for me, Gerry and Dewey didn't 'Americanise' these 3 songs quite enough.
The remaining 2 songs are just songs that I personally don't like and would rather they had included different songs (I'd have loved Pete Yorn's Just Another-made for the guys and David Gray's Babylon or Lindisfarne's Lady Eleanor but what do I know)
Anyway a great song for any lover of quality music-Buy it now!