Profile for Mr. D. J. Wood > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. J. Wood

Mr. D. J. Wood (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Twisted Envy Clever Girl Dinosaur Ceramic Novelty Mug
Twisted Envy Clever Girl Dinosaur Ceramic Novelty Mug
Offered by Twisted Envy

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good. No defects, 22 Aug. 2016
Looks good. No defects, decent print.
It succeeds in doing what mugs do.
Brother got the reference.
Couldn't expect or want any more from it.

Might suggest a version where the mug itself is also black. May be a bit harder to print on, but it might look slightly better.

OPPO R7 16GB 4G UK Dual SIM-Free Smartphone - Silver
OPPO R7 16GB 4G UK Dual SIM-Free Smartphone - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars it's a strong all-round device and great value for money, 8 Aug. 2015
I'm really getting on well with this phone; it's a strong all-round device and great value for money, even more so with all the extras that come with the device(VOOC power bank, transparent case, screen protector, headphones).

It's construction is its strongest point. There's no need for me to repeat the product description, I will just say that it is a pleasure to hold in the hand.
The software is pretty good. Runs smooth and has a lot of useful features added by Oppo, especially the gesture functions from screen-off.
VOOC rapid charging works really well, taking, at most, an hour to fully charge the phone from 1%, which is useful as the phone has an average battery life.

It's not quite perfect though.
The processor can throttle when under heavy load, something I thought only affected the Snapdragon 810 processors or current flagships.
Also, while I love its AMOLED display's deep blacks, its high colour saturation bugs me, and there is no option to adjust it.; some skin tones looking especially weird makes me wonder if some of the colours are calibrated wonky too.
It should also be noted that the phone comes running an OS built on Android Kit-Kat, but has similar functions to Lollipop added. I hear it's getting an update eventually, but it would of been nice if it had Lollipop out of the box like its sister phone the R7 Plus.

I would recommend this phone to anyone looking for a phone that's great value for money, or even just a good phone a step bellow flagships.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2015 3:12 PM BST

Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270 - UK layout
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270 - UK layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, Well Constructed, Works Great, no Complaints., 3 May 2014
There's not much more to say.
The ability to sync other Logitech wireless devices to the same USB reviver is a nice feature.

ZALMAN Z3 Plus ATX/M-ATX Tower Computer Case - Black
ZALMAN Z3 Plus ATX/M-ATX Tower Computer Case - Black
Offered by DigimediaUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, though Limited., 3 May 2014
A nice looking case, and great value when the pre-installed fans are taken into account there are a few crevats woth mentioning.

Cable management has been difficult, the sleaving on the modular ables of my PSU made them hard to bend around the (as far as I'm aware, non-removable)hard drive cage.
My 31CM Sapphire Toxic R9 270X graphics deffenitally didn't help

I was planing to build my PC with a possible future crossfire in mind, this is most definitely impossible. at least with my PSU cables.

It should also be noted that the blue LED fan on the frount is the only air intake fan, and it is quite weak; I strongly recomend running it at 100% whenever possible(don't worry, it remains pretty quiet), until you can replace it with something that shifts more air.

Also worth mentioning, is the fan control button.
It has two settings, off, and perhaps 50% to 70% speed, I'm considering connecting the two fans it controls my motherboard instead; seems easy enough to do.

All fans are user replaceable, for the record, though only the front NEEDS to be replaced. there is also space for a second intake fan on the front, which I moved the old central fan onto.(will replace it altogether eventually)

I liked the easily removable side panels and the screw less design of the bays.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this or not, it'd depend on what components the individual panned to use.

TP-LINK TL-WDN3800 N600 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WDN3800 N600 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, Works Well. Good Value, 3 May 2014
Works great for me; other than the network menu opening on start up(which is irritating, and as I haven't looked into it yet, probably fixable), I can't fault it.

It's small size has especially been helpful, as my graphics card is quite sizeable, and I was worried this would not fit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2014 6:07 PM BST

WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green
WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green
Offered by amy's Schätze

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, 3 May 2014
Well it works for now, as the true test of a HDD is long term survivability, I can't rate it accurately yet, for now though, I'll rate it 4 stars.

AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (3.5/4.1GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 6MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 95W, Retail Boxed)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, might be great once the Stock Cooler is Replaced, 3 May 2014
Works great for the price.
While I wish to over-clock the CPU for better single thread performance, I don't trust the stock cooler to manage with any more heat.
Until then though, it's performance is only okay.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with it's features, 3 May 2014
I bought this board because of it seems one of the most reliable going by possitive reviews that had more than one PCI-E slot which weren't at X4.

I've been impressed with how easy the board has recovered from my failed over-clocks of my RAM, though perhaps this is true of most motherboards, as this was my first time building a PC.

I also like the AI suite that came with the motherboard; especially for monitoring components and controlling fan speeds without entering BIOS.

My only issue is that the foam padding on the back socket panel was way too thick, and prevented me from installing the board into my case until it was removed.

I'd recommend to most people building an AM3+ PC who needs multiple PCI-E ports.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 12:33 PM BST

Microsoft Win 7 HmPrem SP1 64bit LCP EN DVD OEM LCP English, GFC-02733 (DVD OEM LCP English)

4.0 out of 5 stars Yep, it's Windows 7., 3 May 2014
It's hard to write a review on this, as most people are already familiar with Windows, and especially Windows 7.

It works well, and is stable.
Being a gamer, compatibility necessitated installation on my new PC, which Windows is still unmatched at; I kind of which Microsoft would lose it's monopoly in this respect.
Not much more to say really is there?

Sapphire R9 270X 2GB Toxic 1100MHz GDDR 5 PCI Express Graphics Card
Sapphire R9 270X 2GB Toxic 1100MHz GDDR 5 PCI Express Graphics Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 3 May 2014
I've always been a console gamer, but with building my first PC, I knew I'd want it to be at least competent for running games; and I've not been disappointed.

It runs quiet, and well.
Perhaps not quite as well as I was expecting, though this maybe down to my CPU according to 3Dmark.

I also downloaded Sapphire's over-clocking application from their website, and found that at least my card runs stable at a 7% over-clock, which I'm pleased with.
I also set custom fan speeds with the program, but there seems to be a bug that makes the fan rev up to 70% intermittently for no reason, so I've left it's fans on auto, which works well enough.
Of course this is a problem with the software, which is optional, so I wont let it detract from my rating, but I felt it worth mentioning.

I chose this card as it seems remarkably good value for the money, perhaps only being matched by Asus' Nvidia 760 card, which is worth considering if you're willing to pay a little more.

I would certainly recommend this card for any gamers who are building or upgrading a PC.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5