Profile for John Gillett > Reviews

John Gillett

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC) [Download]
Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC) [Download]

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool, easy to use, 18 Oct. 2013
I am a casual domestic photographer and I use Photoshop Element mainly to crop picture and adjust brightness, I look forwards to mastering other features.

Humax DTR-T1000 YouView Digital TV Recorder
Humax DTR-T1000 YouView Digital TV Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Aug. 2013
This box is easy to use. The Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) updates quickly and setting a record option is really easy.

Where's My Money?
Where's My Money?

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Where's My Money? (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. It contains a colourful cast of characters and how they cope with the economy of the seventies (terrible then and in many ways worse now). The hero, Max Redcliffe, is a social sciences graduate who had learned to live happily on a student grant. Earning money isn't important to Max who planned to live on social security. "Where's my Money" is a wildly funny account of Max's journey from claimant to being a civic servant dealing with claimants. Manson has s wonderful eye for the absurd. There is warm humour on every page and possibly a little nostalgia for the seventies.

Offered by The Home Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Thermostatic Bathroom Bath Shower Kit by Grand Taps (Ultra CD324 and Premier JTY004), 22 April 2013
Bought this kit to replace old manual shower taps. At last we can shower without getting scalded when someone flushed a loo, ran a cold tap in the kitchen or ran the dishwasher. Magic. And as good as the thermostatic shower controls build into our shower cubicle.

The instructions suggest you calibrate the temperature control knob by first "removing the control knob". Mmmm. Fortunately the standard settings seem just fine,

We have a combi boiler, by the way.

Aloclair Gel 8g Mouth Ulcer Treatment
Aloclair Gel 8g Mouth Ulcer Treatment
Offered by Direct-dental

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad to have discovered Aloclair, 18 Sept. 2011
Aloclair is easy to use and quite effective. It's no replacement for the now-discontinued Adcortyl in Orabase (which would get 5 stars).

Philishave HQ40 Micro+ Battery Rotary Male Shaver
Philishave HQ40 Micro+ Battery Rotary Male Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing value, 29 Jun. 2010
I left an expensive foil shaver in a hotel and bought this to give me time to decide what to do in the longer term. Well, I'm in no hurry to replace this little beauty - it's light, quiet, comfortable and delivers a reasonable shave. I will probably buy something with a trim function when I'm feeling flush but I'm in no hurry. This is a bargain that continues to please.

Canon CanoScan 8800F Scanner
Canon CanoScan 8800F Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation in quality and affordability, 21 Sept. 2009
I bought this scanner mainly to archive old photographs, slides and negatives. The scanner comes with three photo holders and there was one for every size of negative and slide that I needed.

The software takes a bit of learning but coped with both photo positive and photo negative images in many sizes. Importing into Picassa (my preferred image manager) and PowerPoint was easy.

I have also used the scanner to read (OCR) documents using my preferred OCR package (ABBYY)- again fast and efficient.

This scanner is a joy and the software, while not the most elegant, does the job! So 4.5+ stars from me.