Profile for redversb > Reviews

Scandal In Prior's Ford: Number 4 in series
Scandal In Prior's Ford: Number 4 in series
by Eve Houston

3.0 out of 5 stars a good read, not outstanding, 11 Jun. 2012
This is a very typical village novel, and is an entertaining read. However, it is, to my mind, rather flawed by being very episodic. The various episodes don't manage to bind together to make acompletely satisfactory whole. To put it another way, the whole does not add up to the sum of its parts. I enjoyed it, but will go back to Rebecca Shaw.

To Catch a Thief [Blu-ray] [1955] [US Import]
To Catch a Thief [Blu-ray] [1955] [US Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars an eye-opener, 11 Jun. 2012
This is a great version of this wonderful film. The definition is superior to DVD versions, and, for the first time on disc, one can actually see all of Hitchcock in his cameo appearance! Hitherto he has either been edited out almost completely, or, in the version I had, you managed to see half of him. I commend this BluRay disc of what I consider to be a much underrated film.

Symphony 9 D. 944 C Maj. (Edition Eulenburg)
Symphony 9 D. 944 C Maj. (Edition Eulenburg)
by Franz Schubert

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 8 May 2012
|This is an excellent example of what a miniature score should be. It is a convenient size, the pages are well printed and clearly laid out. As is customary the staves are missed out in passages where fewer instruments are used, which is regrettable, but the divisions are clearly marked, and this does not constitute a problem. I consider this a very satisfactory purchase, and can recommend it without hesitation.

Schubert: Die schöne Müllerin; 3 Lieder (DG The Originals)
Schubert: Die schöne Müllerin; 3 Lieder (DG The Originals)

4.0 out of 5 stars very good but with a slight reservation, 18 April 2012
This is a very acceptable version of this song cycle. Wunderlich had a wonderful tenor voice, and this is a cycle that really demands a tenor to sing it, though there are excellent versions by baritones. The one fly in the ointment is the accompaniment. The pianist is somewhat heavy handed, and, frankly, rather spoils the performance. However, if only for the singing of Wunderlich, this is well worth the modest price asked.

Beethoven, Mendelssohn & Schubert: Octets
Beethoven, Mendelssohn & Schubert: Octets

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value, 18 April 2012
This is a pair of CDs well worth acquiring. All the performances are first class, and the recording does not betray its age. There are other recordings of these works that are as good, though I doubt if any are better, and certainly this is a collection that will have a wide appeal, and at the price it is unbeatable.

Symphonie Fantastique & Le Carnaval Romain
Symphonie Fantastique & Le Carnaval Romain
Offered by inandout-distribution

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best mackerras, 29 Feb. 2012
This can only be said to be satisfactory. I cannot say more than that. Perhaps I am so used to the extraordinary high standard of performances by Sir Charles Mackerras that I found this to be somewhat run of the mill. There is nothing actually wrong, but the performance didn't seem to me to get off the ground. I abandoned this disc, and purchased the version by Sir Thomas Beecham, which I found to be in a different league altogether.

Wunderlich in Wien
Wunderlich in Wien

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing., 29 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Wunderlich in Wien (Audio CD)
This record came as a great disappointment, but I suppose that is to some extent at least a question of taste. The singing is naturally brilliant, and the music is typical Viennese operetta type numbers. Fine, so far. But the arrangements are, frankly, pure schmaltz, complete with Disney heavenly choir! I'm afraid once was enough for me.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, Le Corsaire, Op.2, Les Troyens (Excerpts)
Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, Le Corsaire, Op.2, Les Troyens (Excerpts)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 29 Feb. 2012
This disc is truly amazing. The performance is marvellous, and the recording quality is magnificent. It is quite impossible to believe that the recording was made so long ago. The restoration team have done a superb job. Of all the recordings of the Fantastique, I put this right at the top.

Mendelssohn: Symphonies No. 1 & 5 'Reformation'
Mendelssohn: Symphonies No. 1 & 5 'Reformation'

4.0 out of 5 stars nice music well recorded, 29 Feb. 2012
This is a very worth while disc. The music, though not as well known (justifiably) as the 3rd and 4th symphonies is very well worth hearing. I confess that the 1st symphony was totally unknown to me, and the 5th I hadn't heard for about 60 years. I'm very happy to say that I enjoyed both of them enormously. They are well played, and the disc is a true bargain at thre price.
Can recommend with enthusiasm.

Morecambe & Wise - Christmas Specials [DVD] [1969]
Morecambe & Wise - Christmas Specials [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ Eric Morecambe

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 3 Jan. 2012
I purchased this set after some hesitation, since I already had a large collection of BBC comedy programmes, but I now know I should have done it ages ago. These programmes wear exceedingly well, and it would be a dull soul indeed who didn't raise a great number of laughs watching them. They wear extremely well, and I am sure will be viewed again and again. Well worth the modest sum asked.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8