Profile for redversb > Reviews

Content by redversb

redversb (Kendal, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Miss Marjoribanks (Penguin Classics)
Miss Marjoribanks (Penguin Classics)
by Mrs Oliphant

3.0 out of 5 stars good story but long winded, 8 Jan. 2013
This an interesting tale, but I found rather difficult to read, with long sentences and very long paragraphs. Oliphant does tend to labour her points, and often takes several pages to state something that could be stated much more succinctly. Whilst I can truthfully say I enjoyed it, I don't think I shall be reading it again.

Weber - Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 - Turandot - Silvana - Die Drei Pintos
Weber - Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 - Turandot - Silvana - Die Drei Pintos

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not particularly good, 8 Jan. 2013
The performances are, as far as I can judge, very good indeed, but the music is not top class. The first symphony is enjoyable, but the second is a peculiar composition in that the first movement is longer than the remaining three put together. The other pieces are odd excerpts from little known operas, and, though pleasant enough, aren't particularly interesting out of context.

Mahler: Symphony, No. 5
Mahler: Symphony, No. 5
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Mahler: Symphony, No. 5 (Audio CD)
I suppose one would reasonably expect this to be an excellent disk. This Mahler was something of a speciality of Solti, and Decca have produced a first class recording. This is the middle of three recordings of this work made by Solti. I haven't heard either of the others, but I really cannot think they can be an improvement on this one. Recommended.

Derby Day [DVD]
Derby Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Wilding

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot review, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Derby Day [DVD] (DVD)
I have not the slightest understanding why I have been requested to review this, as I was sent a different DVD, which I did not want, and I returned it. Since I opted not to order this title again, I cannot comment on it.

Karel Komzak - Waltzes, Marches & Polkas
Karel Komzak - Waltzes, Marches & Polkas

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality music, 8 Jan. 2013
This can be recommended to anyone who likes light orchestral music. It is a pity that the Strauss family dominated the situation quite so much, good as they undoubtedly are, as it has resulted in other similar and equally deserving music being neglected. This a welcome addition to any collection of this genre.

Gaetano Donizetti - Don Pasquale (Ravenna Festival, 2006) [Blu-ray] [2010]
Gaetano Donizetti - Don Pasquale (Ravenna Festival, 2006) [Blu-ray] [2010]
Dvd ~ Claudio Desderi

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Nov. 2012
All in all, despite a number of enthusiastic reviews from people more qualified than I am, I found this very disappointing. Don Pasquale was well sung and acted, Norina was good, Malatesta so-so. What was most disappointing was the stage set. Throughout one could see vague figures moving about in the background, Norina's attendants wore quite unsuitable clothing for the period, and two obvious stage hands came on with the table for the Notary. Riccardo Muti saved the day, without him it would have been more or less a disaster. His Scala disc is much better and can be recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2013 4:31 PM GMT

My Lady's Money
My Lady's Money
by Wilkie Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars Not typical, but enjoyable., 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: My Lady's Money (Paperback)
This is not a typical Wilkie Collins book. I suppose it is best described as a romantic mystery, though in truth there is not actually much mystery, as the culprit is made pretty obvious from the start. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading it and would recommend it as the customary Wilkie Collins quality of writing is always apparent, and the story remains interesting and never drags. Not very easy to put down.

Buried Alive
Buried Alive
by Arnold Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth reading, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Buried Alive (Paperback)
This is a very entertaining and original story. It is the book on which the film "Holy Matrimony" with Monty Woolley and Gracie Fields is based. The screenplay by Nunally Johnson follows the book well, but not exactly, the deviations actually improving the film, without making the original story any less appealing. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a first class story. There are a few typos, but certainly not enough to spoil the pleasure of reading the book. I recommend the film too, if you can manage to get hold of a copy. Five out of five.

Three English Ballets
Three English Ballets

2.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste., 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Three English Ballets (Audio CD)
This music I found very difficult to enjoy, apart from Walton's Facade. It was a disappointment to me, as it was reviewed as being three ballet suites full of good tunes. I confess that I wasn't able to agree with this verdict. However, that's my opinion, and I am sure that there will be many music lovers who will not agree with me. I must concede that all the music is well played, and the recording is very good.

Criterion Collection: 49th Parallel [DVD] [1941] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Criterion Collection: 49th Parallel [DVD] [1941] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent film, 24 July 2012
This is a most recommendable film. Very good story, though it has to be admitted it is somewhat episodic. This, however, enables very entertaining cameos with wonderful actors like Anton Walbrook and Leslie Howard. The picture quality is very good, and makes two hours pass very quickly. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8