Profile for lilysmum > Reviews

STAR WARS C1370EL20 "Rogue One Shoretrooper" Playset
Offered by Arklow Traders

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little toy, 18 Oct. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this to a little boy I know well and he loved it. He's 8 and a big Star Wars fan. It has a kind of rope that pulls out of the gun thing and he attaches it to the furniture and has great fun with it! I don't really understand the Star Wars story but he played with it all day when I saw him. It's quite small - only about ten cm high, not very big at all - but it would be a great toy to take on a journey because it's got plenty of play value - especially if you get the rest of the figures too.

Fly London Womens Koby585fly Top-Handle Bag Brown (Brown)
Fly London Womens Koby585fly Top-Handle Bag Brown (Brown)
Offered by steps shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this bag, 18 Oct. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this bag. It's really just what I was looking for. It's got two pockets on the front - one for my phone and one for my work pass - and inside there is just the right amount of room for purse, keys, tissues, make up bag, and book. That's the perfect bag. And it has a detachable shoulder strap. And it has just the right length handles.
And it's a great kind of distressed natural leather look about it.
Fabulous! I have some Fly shoes which I love and the quality of this bag is excellent too.

The Resurrection of Joan Ashby
The Resurrection of Joan Ashby
by Cherise Wolas

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable story of a woman's writing life., 7 Oct. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a remarkable book that gripped me from the first pages. It reads like a memoir. Joan Ashby is an author. When she's young, she vows never to marry so that she can dedicate her life to writing. However, all doesn't go quite according to plan, and, a husband and two children later, Joan is juggling her writing life, her interior life, and her responsibilities with her children. Her children are very different. One son is an introvert, a writer like her who writes 99 stories about a squirrel which entrance Joan. The other is a conventional high achiever. The two sons naturally compare themselves to one another.
This all seems quite conventional but it's the stories that Joan writes that make this book so unique. I'd say they are bonkers but that would trivialise them. They are dark, surreal, psychological tales which hint at the depth of Joan's personality.
Then, about 200 pages in, there is a remarkable plot development, not quite a twist, that I think anyone who is interested in writing will gasp at, like I did. The way Joan copes with this unexpected event, which I completely failed to guess at, is the subject of the next part of her story.
I suppose you could think this is just a story of a woman struggling to write, but it's so much more than that. I totally identified with Joan and her life which seems in a way a metaphor for the way modern women's lives have been shaped by the pressures on them.
I was absorbed by this book and so, so pleased to have been sent a copy for review. I'm going to buy copies for friends who are bibliophiles for Christmas.
Just one thing - I didn't like the cover which I found drab - but I know it's had a lot of praise in the media.

The Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Hundred and One Dalmatians
by Peter Bently

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful edition, 6 Oct. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really beautifully illustrated edition of this classic story which has been specially abridged. Makes a beautiful gift for a new baby.

AATU 85/15 Cat Food Salmon and Herring 200 g
AATU 85/15 Cat Food Salmon and Herring 200 g

3.0 out of 5 stars My cat will eat them but prefers other stuff, 6 Oct. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These biscuits are really darknin colour - almost black, really, and they don't smell of much. My cat wasn't very keen on them really and sniffed them a lot. He did eat them but he will leave them if there is anything else on offer. To be honest like most cats he's very fussy and he likes variety as a rule. And I'm sure if he weren't so well fed he'd eat these more keenly!

Rapesco Stapler - Snapper, 20-sheet capacity (Black)
Rapesco Stapler - Snapper, 20-sheet capacity (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and strong, 27 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great stapler. Compact in size but it packs a punch AND it has a holder for spare staples. Perfect!

The Choice
The Choice
by Edith Eger

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding book., 17 Sept. 2017
This review is from: The Choice (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book had me gripped from the first page which is an introduction by Phil Zimbardo, the creator of the famed Stanford Prison experiment of 1971.
It's a memoir by the Auschwitz survivor, Edith Eger. She is sometimes called "The Anne Frank who lived" and her testimony is uniquely moving. From her horrific experiences, she draws life lessons that have led her through painstaking years learning English and gaining degrees in psychology, such that she lectures soldiers who have survived horrors of warfare on PTSD.
She is a remarkable person. Having watched her mother and father be selected by Dr Mengele for the gas chambers, she herself danced for him to ensure that she and her sister could live.
Each chapter takes the reader through a different period in her life, all distilled to the life lessons she has drawn - always of positivity. The most striking analogy comes when she works with two disabled soldiers. One, she says, lies on his bed cursing, while the other says, "Life has taken a new direction for me. I am at the same level as the flowers now, and can look my children in the eye. "
Edith Eger has the same spirit as the second soldier. She turns a terrible experience into a positive one. I don't know how. She's such a strong character. She marries and has children, moves to America, starts a new life, and takes the reader along with her.
She says each of us have a hero inside, and that life itself is hero training. You just have to look for chances to be kind, to help others. There are always chances, she says, as she explains how moments of kindness shown to her by German soldiers helped her to survive.
I really can't recommend this book too highly. If you think you've read Holocaust stories before, you haven't read one like this. It has all the humanity of Primo Levi with all the philosophy of Victor Frankl. You won't be disappointed.

Linksys EA8300 Max-Stream AC2200 Simultaneous Tri-Band Wi-Fi Broadband Router
Linksys EA8300 Max-Stream AC2200 Simultaneous Tri-Band Wi-Fi Broadband Router

4.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 11 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this router to cover my conservatory and garden, as my Virgin router does not reach very well from where it is located. I have connected it to the main router by an Ethernet cable. I found it extremely easy to set up and it was working within 5 minutes. The router control is via an app which is much easier to use than the usual method of calling up the IP address.i have found the performance excellent, much better than the one it replaced and I. Get full coverage in my garden. It has both 2.4 and 5 ghz outputs, and can be configured with additional guest accounts so you don't have to give your password to all your children's friends when they come round! Very useful.
I now have it configured as an extension router to my Virgin one using the same network name, so you can walk around the house and my devices will be seamlessly connected to the strongest signal. I just did a quick test and got over 100Mbs over wireless, so it is fast too. A great piece of kit.
I would give it 5 stars if it was a bit nicer to look at. It's very chunky and it makes a bit of a statement. I'd rather it was more unobtrusive.

Design Toscano PHARAOHS TREASURE OFFERING VESSEL
Design Toscano PHARAOHS TREASURE OFFERING VESSEL

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way of tucking away all those dressing table essentials., 10 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a beautiful, if a little overpriced Jar which is sitting on my dressing table concealing hair bobbles and perfume testers with real style.
My daughter says it looks like a cremation urn, but what would she know. I think it's dramatic and arresting. However it is expensive and I think it is priced a little high. Still it would make a great Christmas gift.

FIND Women's Soft Oversized Sweatshirt, Grey (Grey Marl), 14 (Manufacturer size: Large)

5.0 out of 5 stars A staple of my wardrobe., 10 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Love, love, love this sweater. It's more of a knitted top than a sweatshirt but it's beautifully soft, comfy and warm. Like wearing a blanket AND it looks good with anything. I've worn it with jeans and with leggings as well as tracksuit bottoms. Dress it up or down. It looks lovely.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20