Profile for A. D. R. MARKS > Reviews

Content by A. D. R. MARKS

A. D. R. MARKS "adrmarks" (Warwickshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Lexmark 10N0016 black ink cartridge 16
Lexmark 10N0016 black ink cartridge 16
Offered by Cost-Dropper

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate to put a dampener on things, but ..., 4 Jun. 2009
Sorry, but the cartridge I received was absolute rubbish. I couldn't get it to work for the life of me. The colour cartridge was fine (and if I changed all of my black print into blue, I could still print it) but this particular one ... no chance. Naturally I'm sure this was just a one-in-a-million lemon, but it's worth fellow purchasers knowing about these things. Sorry guys.

Journal for Plague Lovers
Journal for Plague Lovers

5.0 out of 5 stars Not their best, but their best in a decade ..., 20 May 2009
Well, what a surprise this was!

I'd steadily got used to the Manics becoming steadily less interesting with age (as I guess we all do) but this was a revelation. Other reviewers have remarked that it could be a sequel to THB, as if such athing was necessary, but it easily reflects the music of that album (less so the gloom however). Regarding the music, one hang up I would share is that there is very little bass on the record. Sure Nicky Wire isn't Chris Squire, and is never likely to be, but his playing on this record is stunning, and should have been given more prescence in the mix.

It's less shiny than everything since 'Everything Must Go' (the last of their's that I could get my head around, if I'm honest) but the extra grime gives it some body.

It takes about four listens to get one's head around, but it is worth persevering with. Definitely a grower. Worth six stars but for the low mixed bass!

Genesis 1970-1975
Genesis 1970-1975

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 15 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Genesis 1970-1975 (Audio CD)
I have to say that this box set was a joy to behold. Not only was the re-mastered music absolutely fantastic, but also the added visuals were a delight. It does beg the question, where have they been hiding these films all these years? OK, so one or two of them are looking a little bit flaky with age, but isn't that the effect ageing has? How does the DVD of the early seventies 'Yessongs' look in 2008, after all? And where else will you see such fantastic material anyway?

Moreover, what these sounds and visuals show to me is that in losing Gabriel and Hackett (the latter has been criminally underated for decades in this listener's view) the band lost not merely two members, but two fifths of their very creativity, and were never the same again. Sure, Collins managed to turn Genesis into a mega-selling pop group, but could you find anything as good as (e.g.) 'Dancing With the Moonlit Night' on Abacab? I think not. Anyway, it's an investment, but it's worth every penny. Treat yourself for Christmas. Go for it now.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2008 12:40 PM GMT

Selling England By The Pound
Selling England By The Pound
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine!, 18 Jun. 2008
It was bad enough when the band lost Gabriel, but when they lost Hacket as well, it was clear that both the heart and the soul had left the band. Collins is/was all well and good as a showman (and, lest we forget, a fantastic percussionist) but he couldn't give to the band what those guys did.

Here is the evidence.

The Gabriel and Hackett combination on Dancing With the Moonlit Knight should life anyone off their feet - and Firth of Fifth should knock them off them again. I've been playing this album since I was a teenager - I'm in my forties now and it still makes me feel like weeping with joy on every listen. If you've never heard it, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 10:39 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Mine Even Arrived in Tune!, 20 Jan. 2008
Absolutely wonderful. The guitar has a lovely appearance with what could look like a lovely handmade body (though for the price I doubt that it is). It has a delicious tactile quality which left me not just playing it but holding it and just looking at it all day for the first day after it arrived. It also sounds fantastically resonant when plugged into an amplifier - and could easily compete with many electric basses of a greater price for sheer drive. It has a very broad tone control and can vast provide a number of sounds - from Lemmy, via Chris Squire to Stanley Clarke, quite possibly!

My only slight critiques (and the reasons for it not getting the full five stars are thus: it has a strap button at its back (it's also the amplifier output). Could it not also have had another at the front end? As it is, for the time being I have a strap attached to the head of the guitar, which is nothing like as good. How much extra would this have added to the cost? The other critique - and this is a very slight one - is that the action was just a little high, but this is in comparison with electric basses (I used to be an owner of a couple of delicious Rickenbackers and a Steinberger) and it is exactly what I would have expected for an acoustic instrument.

So all I can say is this. If you're looking for an acoustic/electric bass and want to try one - give this one a go!

Love (Rmst)
Love (Rmst)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic!, 19 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Love (Rmst) (Audio CD)
This is one of those rare records that makes me feel young again. I was a teenager when this came out and I cannot believe how long it's been since it was released!

It's not just that it has great songs to offer - which it does, every single one of them - but that it so aptly encompasses its place in history. At least for me. This is what the mid eighties sounded like to people who were tracking down the good stuff and bypassing the Stock-Aitkin-Waterman rubbish etc. It has a sound that cannot be found anywhere else: they rock like their lives depended on it, but they have a vibrancy and colour to their sound which was unique. If you can listen to She Sells Sanctuary and not dance your butt off (and more than likely look a prat in the process, but what the hell) then you've got no soul whatsoever.

This is what the eighties sounded like to those of us who were actually listening. This is to the eighties what 'Led Zeppelin 4' and 'Dark Side of The Moon' were to the seventies and 'Nevermind' and 'OK Computer' both were to the nineties. Incidentally, get all the others too, and that's a pretty good record collection.

Go for it.

A Merciful Release
A Merciful Release

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ... but ..., 27 Feb. 2007
This review is from: A Merciful Release (Audio CD)
Needless to say, a box which contains all of the Merciful Release albums - from the Hussey/Eldritch/Marx/Adams material (1st Last and Always) through the Eldritch/Morrison material (Floodland) culminating in the (thus far) final Sisters album of Vision Thing is a fantastic idea. All of these in and of themselves are five star albums, and the additions of extra B-side, twelve-ince and previously unreleased material from each era is wonderful. I was particularly taken with the full length version of 'Never Land' which I'd not heard at all since the release of Floodland, twenty years ago. But - and here's a big one for you - where is the extended version of the track 'Vision Thing', which I believe was on the B-side of the 12-inch of 'Dr Jeep'? I remember grooving away to it at the student disco when I was at university way back when, and would have loved a CD version of it.

Is this being held out for yet another release? I think we should know. Otherwise, a cracking box-set. More than worth the £[...] I shelled out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2008 1:43 AM GMT

The Eraser
The Eraser
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Miles Davis grooving with Darth Vader!, 18 July 2006
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
This album is both lovely and a little scary.

Yorke has always had a lovely falsetto which holds together the manifold densities of the sounds underneath. Oddly enough this disc is very simple (or at least sounds so - I don't doubt the hard work that went into it). What I loved particularly was that despite having, as previously with KID A, pulled away nearly all guitar work, there is still lots of bass guitar work throughout, giving the music a real heart and soul. I've always been of the view that the bass is the most underrated of instruments: take it away and see what a weak sound/noise you are left with (case in point: the White Stripes).

This is not to say that Mr Yorke doesn't need his comrades in Radiohead creatively speaking. On this evidence, clearly he does, but this is nevertheless a lovely diversion.

Pulse [DVD] [2006]
Pulse [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Pink Floyd
Offered by AVALON

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it? Love it!, 12 July 2006
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
The first question needs to be; was it worth waiting twelve years for the DVD? Well ... yes!

The visuals and sounds are absolutely fantastic - it could well be the best 'in concert' DVD on the market so far. I'm lucky insofar as currently I'm looking at it on a widescreen television with added bass speakers: trust me, this is music which demands to be felt as much as to be heard. One of your earlier reviewers suggested spending money on expensive viewing and listening equipment for this disc, and he was right ('On The Run' should make your liver vibrate). The mellowness of 'Comfortably Numb' can be felt nowhere else, and has a guitar solo to be experienced nowhere else: it is a song of both beauty and horror and I suspect the late Johnny Cash would have done wonders with it.

Taking the entire 'Dark Side of the Moon' was a brave move - especially in Waters' absence. However, it works. Indeed, it sounds like an amazingly contemporary piece of work (but then what do I know? I'm not a teenager anymore - I'm 39).

I guess a more probing question remains: would it be better with Roger Waters in the fold? I guess having seen them at Live 8 the answer remains, yes. I've seen both Gilmour and Waters live, but never together - an experience I would love. And how ironic that my copy of this disc should arrive on my doorstep the day the newspapers tell us all that Syd Barrett has died. Life is strange sometimes. However, I'm waffling ...

It's a fantastic disc, worth every penny - and it's cheaper at Amazon than anywhere else. Go for it!

Genesis - The Gabriel Era [DVD] [2006]
Genesis - The Gabriel Era [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Genesis

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish, 3 May 2006
I have loved the Gabriel (to say nothing of the Hackett) era of this fine band for nearly half of my life, and was now looking forward to getting hold (finally) of some footage of them at work from when I was too young to get to see them. Unfortunately the footage that is here is rather weak, being largely of bootleg quality, and that that is there is frequently overtalked by journalists telling us that which we already know and don't wish to be told again at great length - and indeed, it would be nice if these journalists were even to get some of their information straight (one of them refered to Nursery Cryme as their SECOND album for the love of God!). If only I could have had an entire twenty odd set of Supper's Ready without interruption from self important journo's then this would have been worth the money. I didn't. It isn't.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2008 8:27 PM GMT