Profile for loopyloo100 > Reviews

Content by loopyloo100

loopyloo100

Page: 1 | 2
Supergets® Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Wallet Design Case, Screen Protector,Touch Screen Stylus And Polishing Cloth (Black)
Offered by worldzoness

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice little case!, 18 May 2013
Very happy with the case and that was what I was generally requiring. Its really neat and keeps the phone well protected. Only thing missing was the stylus, but then I probably wouldn't use that anyway.

Dice With Buddies
Dice With Buddies

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable!, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dice With Buddies (App)
Sign up was the same as Draw Me and game play is really good. I have a number of games on the go! Overall great fun! I don't mind playing with random players and you do get to choose friends if you like.

Fragment
Fragment
by Warren Fahy

4.0 out of 5 stars Action all the way, 10 July 2009
This review is from: Fragment (Paperback)
Welcome to Henders Island where many weird and wonderful new creatures run amoc. An island separate from the rest of humanity where life has evolved in a different form.

It's not a place I would wish to visit for my holidays, although the novel certainly makes for entertaining reading. It's action packed drama all the way. It's not a novel with deep characterisation, but it's exceptionally gripping and a complete page turner. I really can see this transferring to the big screen very well as it very much puts me in the mind of Jurassic Park. It's really thrilling and keeps you on your toes. I found it well written and easy to follow although it did require some imagination to conjure up the animals in my mind, but actually that was quite fun.

The last 100 or so pages of the book took me a little by surprise as I was not expecting the course that the book took. It was all good though!

If you want all out action and you can appreciate a deviation from reality I suggest you read this. It's a great entertaining read.

Once Upon A Time In England
Once Upon A Time In England
by Helen Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars A sad tale but totally riveting reading!, 2 July 2009
My initial thoughts were what a beautiful writing style and straight away I wondered where this story would lead for Robbie and Susheela. Reading further on I was surprised the direction the book took and about 100 pages in I wasn't sure where the story was heading at all, but oh my goodness 200 pages in and I was totally hooked - I began to feel it was like car crash reading though. It feels like one of the most miserable but enchanting tales I've ever read.

Half way in I was finding this quite a depressing read and I was waiting for something positive to happen to lighten it up. I didn't really like She or Robbie as characters and most stories that I really enjoy I find I connect with the characters and so I feel this book is unusual for me.

Moving, harrowing, disturbing, depressing and thrilling are the words I would use to describe this book. Utterly compelling reading through each time period. Well worth reading. Also the ending was not completely a negative experience. I would definitely read more by this author.

Gutted
Gutted
by Tony Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this I don't think you'll be "Gutted!", 2 July 2009
This review is from: Gutted (Hardcover)
Gus is a hard headed, but soft hearted ex journalist and alcoholic and we meet him again in this second outing from Tony Black. The owner of a pit bull terrier, that savaged and killed a little 3 year old girl, is found murdered on an Edinburgh hill by Gus, as he just happens to stumble upon him whilst he was investigating a ruckus involving some thugs torturing a dog, which then decides, after being rescued, that he's Gus's best friend! Gus decides to investigate the murder and finds himself being targeted by the police for the crime and to make matters worse his ex Deb is about to marry one of them.

Another cracker of a read; I again couldn't put the book down and I read it in a very short time. The pace and action is unrelenting and we get to see more of what made Gus's relationship with Deb's tick. I find myself feeling like fighting along side Gus all the way when coming up against his enemies and I'm a pacifist, but the injustices and cruel beatings are hard to take, although at times Gus does seem to take them in his stride. Some of the reading was a little difficult to read because of the subject matter surrounding the fighting pit bulls, but don't let that put you off. An excellent gripping read.

Kicked Out
Kicked Out
by Richard W. Hardwick

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling!, 2 July 2009
This review is from: Kicked Out (Paperback)
This is the tale of sixteen year old Danny who is made homeless when kicked out of home by his parents after disappearing for two days after his sixteenth birthday.

I started this and really wasn't sure it was going to be to my taste, but I was glad to be proved wrong. I found the writing style easy to read, but initially it was interspersed with other bits of writing that made the story a little difficult to follow, but this became less over the course of the book. I found that initially Danny came across as a very shallow young lad, but after being made homeless and then finding himself a place in a young people's hostel I started to see another side to Danny appear. He makes a pal there called Goocher, although finds himself sharing a room with a 'smackhead' Paul. Lots of fighting happens at the hostel along with drugs, sex and drink, but we also see the camaraderie of the young people and how they will look out for their pals.

When Lucy comes into the picture we can really start to see the softer side to Danny and it makes you feel so sad that his own family have become dysfunctional.

I found that through the story I really started to root for Danny and really hope that he could pull his life around and make something of himself. I then start thinking about life on the streets and those that are homeless. Many probably have much they could give to society, but with their upbringings and hardships that they have had to face make this an almost impossible task for them.

Overall I would say this is a novel that really draws you in and can help you understand the lives of those less fortunate than yourself and I felt could make you think under different circumstances "that could be me!" I have certainly been surprised by other's behaviour (people that I think I know well) when they have been put under a certain set of circumstances and so I know that people can be a mix of many things depending on their situation. I think this is a book that will stick with me for sure and it's certainly one that I would recommend.

The Outcast
The Outcast
by Sadie Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, but draws you in!, 3 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Outcast (Paperback)
Lewis arrives back from prison in 1957 now at the age of 19 and of course that has me wondering what he went to prison for. Time then reverts back to a much younger Lewis and follows his childhood tales which include an extremely traumatic event, which changes Lewis to a quiet, withdrawn little boy that it appears nobody really understands.

The book moves forward in time and we find out why Lewis was in prison. Lewis appears lost with himself and with the opposite sex, but is drawn to differing girls/women that may be able to fill a small part of his needs. Lewis' family and their neighbours are very much central to the story and they all seem to carry so many demons within them. Kit is a neighbouring young girl that has always been drawn to Lewis and she feels she understands him the most, but he tends to cast her aside as he feels she is not for him. The community in general takes against Lewis for various reasons and Lewis feels in some way he must fight back after hurting himself physically and mentally for so long.

I found this a very difficult book to describe in terms of what happens as I didn't want to give away any spoilers, as I feel it's a book that just needs to be read and absorbed. One cannot help feel so sorry for Lewis and want to shake everybody around him so that they can see what he is going through. However everyone in the book does appear to be suffering in various ways. I feel that this was an exceptionally well written novel that is dark, disturbing, distressing and depressing, but at the same time a most wonderful, colourful, absorbing read. As I was reading it I felt things were going from bad to worse and it seemed as if Lewis was doomed to fail in anything he tried to achieve. For me it was a book that had me desperate to find out what happened next and was very difficult to put down. I was absolutely amazed to find that this was the author's debut book, will definitely look out for the next.

Read this book - I don't believe you'll be disappointed.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2012 11:28 PM GMT

Losing You
Losing You
by Patricia Debney

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 3 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Losing You (Paperback)
A book that gives us a glimpse of the lives of two women: Marilyn and Hillary over the space of a few days. In the first half of the book we hear the voice of Marilyn and the second half we hear the voice of Hilary. Marilyn a counsellor loses her father and is in the process of grieving and re-evaluating her life and even though she guides many of her clients through their various problems, she feels a bit at a loss about her own existence with husband Doug and son Lewis. Her new friend Hilary has a son Aaron, who is the same age as Lewis and her other half is Adam who also appears to have a soft spot for Marilyn.

This was a very compelling read and these two women seem to be trying to find their place in the world and it really does make you think and wonder about the lives of others and how complex they may actually be. I really enjoyed reading it and wondering what did happen to Marilyn as the book has undertones that something macabre may have happened, or at least that's the way it made me feel, as I thought it had an eerie feel most of the way through.

I thought this was a great read that is asking me to read again shortly and I strongly recommend it.

Paying For It (Gus Dury 1)
Paying For It (Gus Dury 1)
by Tony Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, 3 Nov. 2008
Set in Edinburgh this is an atmospheric and gritty novel, but also full of dark humour. Gus Dury is an ex-journalist and his wife is divorcing him as the demon drink has taken a strong hold of him. His friend Col's son is found dead, but the police say that he committed suicide. Gus finds out this isn't true and Col asks him to find the killer of his son and what's with the cover-up? Gus endeavours to find the truth and along the way we meet some unsavoury characters, as well as a wolf, and see Gus facing his own demons regarding his upbringing with his cruel and harsh father.

What a fantastic crime novel, I found this exceptionally entertaining. At times it felt you could really warm to Gus, but then at others you just wanted to yell at him to get a grip, but then I guess that's the way it can be with alcoholics. I found that characterization was great, plot was superb and it was really fast paced and also contained emotional depth. For me this had everything that I love in a book, although be careful if you don't like strong and sometimes course language. I have visited Edinburgh, but feel I only scratched the surface and there's much more to it than meets the eye if this novel's anything to go by. What I also find strange is that I've read Ian Rankin, but his books have never really shouted at me, but this book most certainly does!

Gus is definitely a character I wish to follow and I can't wait for the sequel: Gutted.

Cliffhanger
Cliffhanger
by T. J. Middleton

4.0 out of 5 stars A right English romp!, 3 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Cliffhanger (Hardcover)
Middle class modern England, quaint village by the sea with some lovely cliffs: here we meet Al Greenwood and his wife Audrey. This story is told from the perspective of Al. Initially we find out that Al has had enough of his wife and it's time to be rid of her and he intends to do this by pushing her off a cliff; that's the plan anyway! Another young lady called Miranda disappears at the same time. You'll have to read it to find out how she fits into the story.

It's a mystery and comedy rolled into one. Al is a very strange character; well actually everyone in this book is strange! Al loves his Asagi koi carp (Torvill & Dean) and finds himself in the company of a local policeman that can also see the finer side of fish! The neighbour Alice Blackstock, otherwise known as Mrs Poke Nose, seems like an old hippy at heart and when she makes stuffing to accompany the pork chops at a dinner party we can wonder what her secret ingredient is that means they take 10 minutes to chew through and why are they so irresistible? This book is really funny and one can't help at times feeling a bit sorry for Al, but at the same time thinking he's a selfish prize idiot. They certainly are a wonderful set of characters to follow and the tale of Kim out at night with a lady roaming the countryside had me in stitches.

It certainly feels like a right English romp and there is so much to find funny in this book and I would definitely recommend it as it's a lovely read.

Page: 1 | 2