Profile for Jo for A British Bookworm's Blog > Reviews

Content by Jo for A Briti...

Jo for A British Bookworm's Blog

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
In His Corner
In His Corner

3.0 out of 5 stars The story highlights their differences. Their depth of connection just wasn't there for me I'm afraid., 22 Aug. 2016
This review is from: In His Corner (Kindle Edition)
I really don't get this relationship at all. Siena blows hot and cold. Despite her protestations that she is the mature one in the relationship, she doesnt seem to know her own mind. All it appears that she is certain on, is that Tommy needs to be changed. He doesn't hang out with the right people, he doesn't wear the right clothes, he doesn't drink the right drinks. You get the picture.

And Tommy? He is written with such a very young outlook and approach. I can understand the initial spark of attraction, but getting beyond that is a stretch.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

October 32
October 32

4.0 out of 5 stars an unexpected surprise, 20 Aug. 2016
This review is from: October 32 (Kindle Edition)
What a pleasant surprise this book is. So much more than I was expecting.

The lead character, Alexander is irritating as the narrative voice at times. And as a character, it is difficult to like him, even given his history. His selfish approach to the issues at hand underlines that feeling. However, it seems to me that this is precisely the response that the author was seeking to provoke. That friction with the main character, feeds into the edgy, uneasy impression left by this book.

With a real sense of the surreal and tension, I was fully expecting the story to follow a linear course. The final reveal was completely unexpected, but with hindsight, was completely in keeping with the tone of the book.

The Sweet Temptation of WHISKEY: a Whiskey novel
The Sweet Temptation of WHISKEY: a Whiskey novel

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad..., 14 Aug. 2016
What a true romantic Mr Black is - screwing another girl to get Anaya off his mind. Classy.

There is definite chemistry between the protagonists in this tale. And the story is definitely smoking hot. I also thought that the dual POV worked very well as a narrative mechanism.

But as characters, he is arrogant to the point of being unlikeable. She is too intelligent to fall for his play, but she does. And then the plot just goes from one sex scene to another.

Don't get me wrong. The writing isn't bad - like I said - hot; but for my taste, perhaps it could do with a bit more relationship development. As it stands, this story is just missing that final piece to elevate it to a more rounded experience.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Reaping Angel (Fallen Redemption Book 2)
Reaping Angel (Fallen Redemption Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars much better than the first book, 14 Aug. 2016
I was a little cautious picking up this book, having just finished the first. I had struggle a little with the pacing of book 1, which did affect my enjoyment of the story a bit. However, I soon discovered that pacing was not a problem for this volume.

Enael is not what I imagined an Angel to be. Her struggles seem so very human. Her strength of will so weak. Her self esteem so low. As a result, she remains surprisingly easy to manipulate - puzzlingly so at times, given the apparent key role she has to play.

This book is shorter than book 1, and whilst I felt that overall, the plot and storytelling benefited from that, the resolution felt a little rushed. However, this is a much better book, in my opinion, than the first in the series.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Guarding Angel (Fallen Redemption Book 1)
Guarding Angel (Fallen Redemption Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable series opener, 14 Aug. 2016
This is an intriguing story, if a little slow and ponderous in pacing at times.

Enael is on a journey of growth. Kaspen seems to be on the opposite path. And although their connection to each other was tangible, it was frustrating that a true relationship seemed just out of reach.

But. Given the events which unfold as the story goes on, how many of their choices are really their own, or just as a result of the scheming machinations of the hierarchy?

Manipulation, power,suspense and faith, all come together in a reasonable series opener.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Game Breaker (Portland Storm Book 14)
Game Breaker (Portland Storm Book 14)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 14 Aug. 2016
This book deals with some difficult topics, but really only scratches the surface of these issues. After all, this is primarily a romance novel. But, in other novels by Ms Gayle, she tackled some thorny problems, and that enhanced the plot line.

In this case however, the story didn't seem to be as focussed on the relationship between Anne and Nate. Maybe that is because these two had history which pre-dated the kick-off point of this volume; maybe because of the other issues being dealt with. For me, this story felt a little diluted as a result.

That's not to say that it wasn't enjoyable, because it was, but I never really connected to the depth of feelings between these two characters.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Hard Rules: Dirty Money 1
Hard Rules: Dirty Money 1

4.0 out of 5 stars So much more than a "simple" romance, 9 Aug. 2016
There is more double crossing in this book than in a series of The Borgias.

In my opinion, this is a really promising start to the series. The author has created characters with multiple layers and has paired that up with a storyline which captured my attention.

This is so much more than a "simple" romance. If it were a kiss, it would be hard, demanding, complicated and would leave you wanting more. I can only express my very fervent hope that the torment caused by that ending isn't too drawn out, and that the next book in the series is in my hands within a reasonably short space of time!

Burn Down the Night
Burn Down the Night

4.0 out of 5 stars Phew! This is quite a book., 9 Aug. 2016
Phew. This really is quite a book. Do not go into this expecting anything other than a bumpy ride. These two characters are all kinds of dark and damaged. And although Max is the one who has been kidnapped, he is not the only one restrained. Joan has her own personal barriers between her and freedom.

The interaction between these two is confrontational and the narrative left me constantly edgy; never able to settle to a status quo between Max and Joan. They were really like two predators circling each other, waiting for an opening to subdue the other.

And yet, this book is surprisingly poignant. The underlying theme of family made this, for all its action and suspense, a gritty but satisfying love story. Just maybe not the one I'm used to.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Tides of Hope: It's Never Too Late For Second Chances (A Nantucket Island Romance Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent book from a new author, 8 Aug. 2016
One of the exciting bits about reviewing books is discovering new authors. Especially when said author delivers a decent book.

This book was an enjoyable mental trip to Nantucket. The author created vivid images of the location and the people. I particularly enjoyed the dynamic between Sara and Gabriel. Her reluctance. His confidence. Their interactions.

Additionally, I really felt that Ms Tomaski did a good job with the mother/daughter relationship. It was well observed, with appropriate levels of teenage friction.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what more this series has to offer.

The Braille Club Unbound
The Braille Club Unbound

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an engrossing read for me I'm afraid, 8 Aug. 2016
Book 2 in the series gets good reviews. 4* and 5* in Amazon. And yet....

I'm afraid that I had the same problem with this as with the first one. There didn't appear to be as many side characters with this novel, but the cheating and double standards continue.

There is more in the way of tension and suspense from the main storylines. But for me, the author has tried to include too much in one book with the three main couples.

Not an engrossing read I'm afraid.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20