Profile for RobinG > Reviews

Content by RobinG

RobinG (Woking, Surrey United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
NIV Bible
NIV Bible

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting to really like this, 29 Jun. 2012
This review is from: NIV Bible (Kindle Edition)
I was a bit hesitant to try this in light of some reviews. However am now using on a daily basis and really like it. I think some comments about not being able to do a verse search are comparing it to Bible software versions. Once you get used to be book search it is pretty easy to navigate around. I find it easier to read than my printed version. Yes as this is a later revision a few things do come out a bit different.
All in all as a fairly new user (and somewhat sceptical user) of Kindle books I am really pleased with this.

Belkin 802.11g Wireless Print Server - Print server - USB - Ethernet, 802.11b, 802.11g

2.0 out of 5 stars Wont work with Windows 7, 12 Jun. 2012
Had same problem with other reviewer. Worked fine with XP but windows 7 not a hope.
My wireless router will see it as an attached wireless device BUT none of the PC's (on Windows 7 or Vista) will see it.
Not only that but wirelessly it only supports older WEP security not WPA (when it works that is) so that also limits it.
If you dont use Windows 7 and dont have a Wireless N network with WPA security then it shouLd work otherwise look elsewhere
Tried to use it as a wired print server. setup procedure sees it and recognised attached printer. BUT it totally refuses to actually print anything even though the server shows up and the printer is shown as attached. Even worse trying to get rid of its port monitoring software through windows uninstall is a pain.
Stay well clear of this for Windows 7. No updates, no proper help just a piece of useless junk that will waste hours and get you nowhere.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Still not up to task and getting worse, 26 April 2012
Having seen the reviews I though I would get this to replace my version 10.

I ran into problems with installation when it got almost to the end of updating my user profile from version 10 then just hung up. After waiting ages I gave up on that - lost my user profiles. It meant going through re-training.
Some of the stories for use in speech training are quite bizarre but entertaining nonetheless.
However reality test will it work . Sadly the initial results provided an even more bizarre result than the story used for training. In fact it seemed far worse than version 10 for accuracy. No doubt it will improve in time with more usage but out of the box it would have been far quicker to type (and correct my typos) rather than have to proofread and re correct the weird things it put in.
Time will tell but sadly my out of the box experience hasn't left a good impression. Lets hope it does improve as I go on.

A follow on report. has it improved with use? A resounding NO if anything it has got worse and now keeps putting in line breaks when I stop to pause, bizzare capital letters where i dont wont them, the whole thing is now turning in to a frustating, totally useless piece of junk software an absolute useless waste of money. probably too late now to return and get my money back.

Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-Bit, OEM (PC) (This OEM software is intended for system builders only)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but remote access can be a problem, 26 April 2012
I bought this to run on an HP proLiant micro server both for use at home and to acess when away.
It works great as a home server fairly basic but easy to set up.
Remote acess though was initially a problem and despite running the 'wizards' goodness knows how many times it kept showing an error message that the (Microsoft provided) domain wont work with the router. Hicrosoft support pages offer conflicting and incomplete advice none of which works for me. For a while I was left with a half working product, little support - and none that actually resolves to problem.
If you want it SOLELY as a Home Server it is a big improvement on a straightforward NAS. Remote access might work or it might be a real pig to get to work. It might it might not but little help if it does not work - and certainly no help to actually get it to work!
Since my first review I had to replace the wireless router when I upgraded my broadband package. Now remote access works great. Obviously remote access does depend a lot on the wireless router used and its default settings. It might go in like a dream (like my latest router) or be an absolute nightmare (like the previous router)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2012 11:42 PM BST

On a Beautiful Scottish Evening [DVD] (2004) [2011]
On a Beautiful Scottish Evening [DVD] (2004) [2011]
Dvd ~ Caledon

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely DVD makes you feel you are there, 21 April 2012
I really enjoyed the DVD The Scottish Fiddle orchestra are a wonderful group that exudes their enthusiasm and enjoyment that comes across in their music albums. This wonderful DVD is throughly enjoyable from start to finish and the setting on a lovely sumemr evening below Edinburgh Castle is just perfect.
Just wish there were more of these.

Cambodian Flute
Cambodian Flute

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable just what was needed, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Cambodian Flute (MP3 Download)
Bought this track as a background for a DVD I was making about Cambodia (for family use not commercial!). really lovely and perfect for what I was doing. Amazed that Amazon had a good selection of Cambodiad music.
Even on its own it is a very restful piece and brings back fond memories of our trip there last year.
get it and listen to it - it might inspire you to make a trip there. A country well worth visiting.

Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 (PC)
Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure whether worth upgrading, 6 Jun. 2011
I have used X2 and X3 alongside Pinnacle Studio and for many projects Video Studio works better esp multiple tracks.
I decided to upgrade to X4 but I am still struggling to justify the cost of upgrading. It has some new features and does work faster that X3 but not sure if extra features are really worth the cost.
On the downside the instant projects are a waste of time and very disappointing. It is fiddly ro replace the sample place holders to put your own pictures in. The supplied manual is pathetic & on line help gives no adequate help how to use this feature.
Overall, if you are new to Video editing a good package, whether worth upgrading from X3 I am not yet convinced.
Since using it more plus points the cataloging systme is better. Downside: stability is a major rpblem. It has freezed up several tiems now. It seems to do this particulary when trying to preview music/sound clips. Not only that but in spite of clicking wait until program recovers, it never does and it has to be closed down and restarted. To its credit (and maybe devlopers knew it was unstable!) it does have an autosave/recover feature so it does get back to neraly where it crashed out. It does waste o a lot of time though when it crashes out.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2012 12:47 AM GMT

Memories of Isle of Wight Railways
Memories of Isle of Wight Railways
by Mike Jacobs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book worthy addition of IoW railway books, 1 Feb. 2011
Brought back a lot of memories as I was born & brought up in the Isle of Wight and used the railways regulary right to the end. Just a few facts and date slightly wrong - but then if I were to ever wright a book about my memories of the Isle of Wigh railways I would most likely get a lot more wrong! I was also at teh old Sandown Grammar school and the book brought back so many meories of those days as well. (Sadly I had to endure the No 33 bus trip from East Cowes! BUT any after school event such as Railway club or Friday afternoon club(!) woudl give the excuse to get the train to Ryde (even though I had to pay) and bus to East Cowes - it was worth it every time!
Even if you only have the slighest interest in the isle of Wight and/or its railways get this book, you won't regret it. My only regret is that there are not more liek this (OK I should get writing I have some hilarious memories of our group of friends and our use of the 6 day runabout tickets every summer. Not the 10 bob 2nd class ones for us - 15 bob first class ones - and raised eybrows from railway staff to see us lot in a 1st class compartment. Happy days. Buy it you wont regert it.

Norton 360 v4.0 - 1 User 3 PC (PC)
Norton 360 v4.0 - 1 User 3 PC (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 1 Feb. 2011
I have used Norton 360 for a couple of years now along side Norton Internet security (we have several PC's & laptops between us) The extra features of automatic PC tune-up and backup ar a big help as they run in teh background. Its early incarnations were a resource hog but since version 3 there has definately been an improvement in this area. If you allready have PC tune up software & backup software then its probably not worth paying the extra over Internet security. The internet security plus Nortons utility edition is better. Wht it is good at is set and forget for PC mainteance and backup but with less option that Nortons utilities and dedicated backup program such as Genie backup pro.
Updating from version 3 to 4 has always been a problem even when using the Nortons product update. Running it as suggested ended up with all sorts of weird errors
Symantec support is good and bad. Bad side first . The live chat is generally a waste of time and they usually dont understand your problem and end up offering an service at a substantial extra cost. I have rarely found their live chat service to be of any help E-mail support though is excellent and they explained that tghe old version needed to be uninstalled - and the new one (V4) installed. That solved the problem. Apart from the incompetant Symantec live chat service, I can highly rccomend this product

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack for XP or Vista users, 3 User Licence (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars remeber this is an UPGRADE, 27 Oct. 2010
Got this from Amazon earlier this year but only just installed it. Initially it refused to accept the installation code. Unfortunately the documentation is not clear as it gives the impression that one option is a clean install. It does not make it 100% clear that because it is an upgrade it MUST be installed from WITHIN an existing XP or Vista installation. Previous Windows upgrades only needed an earlierversion install disk inserted to check its validity but didn't need that version to be actually installed. This upgrade insists on XP or Vista actually being installed. As this was an install on a new laptop which was replacing one that had died I was able to use the XP install disk to put XP on the new one and then Windows 7 was happy to install from within that XP installation.
The clean install option mentioned in the documentation is only for Vista - the other option is to upgrade from the existing Vista installation keeping installed programs etc.
There have been some problems installing older hardware especially printers but in fact it does handle older printers OK. If you dont have a specific Vista/Win 7 set up for an older printer -dont despair - use the install new printer routine in Windows 7. When asked for where to look for files direct it to the install disk and look for the printers .inf file. Click on that and it will install Windows 7 print processing files together with specific information for that printer. It worked great for my QMS 2200 laser (about 8 years old). There are one or two quirks with Windows 7 (homegroups dont always work) but this really is the best Windows version Microsoft have done - its been long overdue but they seem to have finally got a version that works well.This 3 user version is well worth the price get it while you can. Well done Amazon for such a good price!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2011 11:42 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5