Profile for RobinG > Reviews

Content by RobinG

RobinG (Woking, Surrey United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Andrew James Milk Frothing Thermometer, High Quality Grade 304 Stainless Steel
Andrew James Milk Frothing Thermometer, High Quality Grade 304 Stainless Steel
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars works great worth every penny, 13 Jan. 2013
Had bought bean to cup coffee machine but cuppachino just was just not tasting right. Now with this easy to use thermometer plus stainless steel jug from same source I am getting it right every time. Stopping the frothing when it hits the right temperature really is the key to getting it right. Well worth the modest price. Goodbye Starbucks! I have my own great coffee at home now

Panasonic SC-BTT290EBK Full HD 1080p 3D 5.1ch Blu-ray Disc Home Cinema
Panasonic SC-BTT290EBK Full HD 1080p 3D 5.1ch Blu-ray Disc Home Cinema

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent system except for networking, 11 Jan. 2013
Ordered this from Amazon/Tribal as nearest Cuurys were out of stock. Glad I did as they shipped it really fast & better price.
Since using it it gets worse not better, Have never been able to get wired network to work.Support from Panasonic useless their ideas didn't work . Now BBC iPlayer refuses to work -h% been OK until recently but get error message saying device not supported.
Really wish now I had gone for a Samsung product. This just gets worse the more I use it

very pleased with system. had thought of upgradeding TV to get BBC iPlayer catch up but as ancient DVD system needed replacing this was a much better way to get this and get a very much better DVD system as well.
Set up was quick and easy. Speaker cables colour coded and good length.

Connecting to our wi-fi internet router was pretty quick. Haven't yet connected to wired home network - still waiting for ebay seller to send long network cable ordred 10 days ago!

Picture quality really good and sound a big improvement on previous system.

Added extras are the ability to get sound back from TV to play through the 5.1 sound system (via optical cable) Although this needs re-setting after TV has been turned off & on again it isn't that hard. It means that we can have cable TV or freeview TV played through the sound system instead of just the TV speakers.

Haven't yet played HD blu-ray DVD on it but hopefully that will work fine.

The major downside is the poor wired networking to stream from NAS drives that work fine with the rest of my home network . It would be great IF it actually worked.The manual is hopeless as far as networking is concerned. On line help from Panasonic is equally useless.
In spite of setting up network wired settings manually in same range as other devices on home network it still refuses to see any NAS drives. An Apacer streaming device set up with similar settings works flawlessly. Panasonic have really botched the networking features and give NO help whatsoever to get it going
The iPod dock would be useful for iPad owners but superfluous for those who don't want to contribute to Apples bloated profits ! Pity they don't realise that there are a lot of non Apple owners out there

All in all apart from the useless, frustrated wired networking and lack up catch up other than BBC iPlayer I believe I made the right choice here and have been very pleased indeed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2013 7:17 PM BST

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition - Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (PC)
Offered by EEE-Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID AVOID AVOID - Total garbage waste of time & money, 31 Dec. 2012
WARNING DONT BE TEMPTED BY MICROSOFTS special offer. Its not even worth 25p let alone £25. Complete & utter disaster.
If you have a working Vista or Windows 7 installation stick to it. I should have checked the 1 star ratings before being tempted to waste £25 to upgrade from MS - the thought of wasting even more (£50) makes me shudder. Spend your money on software that install and works! This was my stupidest software spend of all time (apart from WindowsME
Immediate;y after starting to install it stopped and refused to proceed as it objected to a SIL PCI=x Sata card that works perfectly with Vista & Win 7. Had to take it out. It then went through the motions of upgrading from Vista (installed new only a few months ago after a mobo failure) It took ages but when I checked on it it said it was checking and repairing a disk drive (but showed it with an obscure name) After taking an hour or so to finish this it then announced that that the install was unsuccessful!! It is attempting to restore the Vista installation but I suspect it will totally mess this up.
FORTUNATELY I had the sense to so a drive image backup before starting this fiasco of an upgrade. I imagine if I try to do a clean install it will refuse because there is no existing installation! With an existing installation it refuses to install because it cant do it. result an absolute total waste of money (and time)
My advice is avoid at all costs, it seems to have been a rushed out the factory gate piece of software junk - and I suspect it is going to be the beginning of the end for Microsoft. It seems incredible how they could have produced something so bad.
My advice is AVOID. If you in insist on ignoring such a huge body of advice. absolutely make sure you do a drive image backup first (using Acronis, Paragon or Nortons Ghost etc) and keep in a safe place. Make sure you also create a bootable restore disk.
Beyond doubt the worst Windows since Windows ME
FOLLOW ON I only managed to get it to install by removing the SATA card. Once installed I re-inserted the ATA card and it worked happily with the card & drivers. However even though I selected keep programs & settings, it refused to keep ANY of my programs with Vista. The interface is horrible only really fir for touch pad devices. Now every time it boots up it wants to do a check on a disk drive that Vista is quite happy with (IO have kept the Vista installation on a different drive. The check takes between 1-4 hours for it to do. Not only that but now it refuses to accept my login password and keeps churning along doping nothing. Finding where to closedown is a mystery tour (when it did work that is - which was only for a day or so) Looks like yet another wipe out and re-install the 5th attempt in a week. It seems to follow the pattern of Windows releases that alternate ones are disasters. Thank goodness for Acronis - I can get back to a working functional version of Vista which I think needs an upgrade to Windows 7 and not this unspeakable garbage. Not sure if I can get a refund from Microsoft/PayPal but it is certainly totally unfit for purpose. i have always resisted anything named Apple in the household but having won an iPad 2 and given it to my wife for Christmas I might have to start changing my views after having seen how that works.

Out of Control
Out of Control

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but ...., 9 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Out of Control (Kindle Edition)
I found the book really interesting to start with - but later I kept thinking - I'll be glad to finish it. As a boozers guide to BR it has no equal! The early interesting accounts of life in the signalling department was fascinating but by mid way it seemed to spend a lot of time on the boozing activites of the authour & some collegues. Towards the end a lot of slagging off of collegues, giving the impression that the only competent person running the railways was our author and a few collegues. It woudl have been a lot more interesting to read more of the practical problems of the run up to privatisation and the early stages of its implementation. It is far too self centered. I thought back to another era of the James Heriot books of Yorkshire and the delight of these was not being centred around Herriot but on the characters he came into contact with daily. Instead of slagging them off he brought out the richness of their awkwardness and eccentricty and made it funny. With this book the authro never sees the funny side of awkward people and situations, only the negative and after a while it gets quite depressing to read. Its not a book I would want to read over again - at least not beyond the early chapters
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2015 9:45 AM BST

Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 Ultimate (PC)
Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 Ultimate (PC)
Offered by Digitalville UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all rounder, 14 Sept. 2012
i have used VideoStudio Pro since X2 and found it a really capable program. This upgrade doesn't give a huge setp change from X4 but there are definate improvments in processing time. I went for the ultimate version as it contains extra 3rd part effects. If these were bought on their own they would cost almost as much as the entire program! The best one is the RotoPen and Boris Graffiti. Both give really incredible title and overlay effects.
Contrary to some reviews indicating support was poor i have foudn Corel support excellent. I ran into a problem with this nd had to re-install it but the extra effects refused to show up. Even teh solution on their web page didn't solve it. An e-mail to Corel support was answered within the hour and gave a solution that worked and it now happily shows ll teh extra add on effects & filters.
The integrated DVD aurthoring based on DVD Movie Factory is excellent and far easier to use than those in other products.
One big advantage is that it will import .vob files from DVD folders or disks (i.e. from non-copyright disks) This is handy for me as my hard drive recorded used with my TV will only output onto a re-writable DVD so it is handy to be able to pull this in to edit out the ads and nake into a form that can be viewed later (but minus the ads!)
All round then an excellent video editing product with a good library of effects & add-ons

NIV Bible
NIV Bible

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting to really like this, 29 Jun. 2012
This review is from: NIV Bible (Kindle Edition)
I was a bit hesitant to try this in light of some reviews. However am now using on a daily basis and really like it. I think some comments about not being able to do a verse search are comparing it to Bible software versions. Once you get used to be book search it is pretty easy to navigate around. I find it easier to read than my printed version. Yes as this is a later revision a few things do come out a bit different.
All in all as a fairly new user (and somewhat sceptical user) of Kindle books I am really pleased with this.

Belkin 802.11g Wireless Print Server - Print server - USB - Ethernet, 802.11b, 802.11g

2.0 out of 5 stars Wont work with Windows 7, 12 Jun. 2012
Had same problem with other reviewer. Worked fine with XP but windows 7 not a hope.
My wireless router will see it as an attached wireless device BUT none of the PC's (on Windows 7 or Vista) will see it.
Not only that but wirelessly it only supports older WEP security not WPA (when it works that is) so that also limits it.
If you dont use Windows 7 and dont have a Wireless N network with WPA security then it shouLd work otherwise look elsewhere
Tried to use it as a wired print server. setup procedure sees it and recognised attached printer. BUT it totally refuses to actually print anything even though the server shows up and the printer is shown as attached. Even worse trying to get rid of its port monitoring software through windows uninstall is a pain.
Stay well clear of this for Windows 7. No updates, no proper help just a piece of useless junk that will waste hours and get you nowhere.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Still not up to task and getting worse, 26 April 2012
Having seen the reviews I though I would get this to replace my version 10.

I ran into problems with installation when it got almost to the end of updating my user profile from version 10 then just hung up. After waiting ages I gave up on that - lost my user profiles. It meant going through re-training.
Some of the stories for use in speech training are quite bizarre but entertaining nonetheless.
However reality test will it work . Sadly the initial results provided an even more bizarre result than the story used for training. In fact it seemed far worse than version 10 for accuracy. No doubt it will improve in time with more usage but out of the box it would have been far quicker to type (and correct my typos) rather than have to proofread and re correct the weird things it put in.
Time will tell but sadly my out of the box experience hasn't left a good impression. Lets hope it does improve as I go on.

A follow on report. has it improved with use? A resounding NO if anything it has got worse and now keeps putting in line breaks when I stop to pause, bizzare capital letters where i dont wont them, the whole thing is now turning in to a frustating, totally useless piece of junk software an absolute useless waste of money. probably too late now to return and get my money back.

Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-Bit, OEM (PC) (This OEM software is intended for system builders only)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but remote access can be a problem, 26 April 2012
I bought this to run on an HP proLiant micro server both for use at home and to acess when away.
It works great as a home server fairly basic but easy to set up.
Remote acess though was initially a problem and despite running the 'wizards' goodness knows how many times it kept showing an error message that the (Microsoft provided) domain wont work with the router. Hicrosoft support pages offer conflicting and incomplete advice none of which works for me. For a while I was left with a half working product, little support - and none that actually resolves to problem.
If you want it SOLELY as a Home Server it is a big improvement on a straightforward NAS. Remote access might work or it might be a real pig to get to work. It might it might not but little help if it does not work - and certainly no help to actually get it to work!
Since my first review I had to replace the wireless router when I upgraded my broadband package. Now remote access works great. Obviously remote access does depend a lot on the wireless router used and its default settings. It might go in like a dream (like my latest router) or be an absolute nightmare (like the previous router)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2012 11:42 PM BST

On a Beautiful Scottish Evening [DVD] (2004) [2011]
On a Beautiful Scottish Evening [DVD] (2004) [2011]
Dvd ~ Caledon

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely DVD makes you feel you are there, 21 April 2012
I really enjoyed the DVD The Scottish Fiddle orchestra are a wonderful group that exudes their enthusiasm and enjoyment that comes across in their music albums. This wonderful DVD is throughly enjoyable from start to finish and the setting on a lovely sumemr evening below Edinburgh Castle is just perfect.
Just wish there were more of these.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5