Profile for Ismelda > Reviews

Content by Ismelda

Ismelda (Herts, United Kingdom)

Tefal GV 7250
Tefal GV 7250
Offered by Infoplanet

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Tefal GV 7250 (Kitchen & Home)
I bought one of these in October 2011. It has just given up in March 2013, outside of standard warranty. Not sure the much-vaunted "anti-calc" system is a benefit - it has been much more temperamental than my previous turbo steam iron which lasted for years. My only option is a £65 repair which will take around 10 days. Not really an option with three kids so I will have to buy a new iron. Will be avoiding this one!

Shakespeare on Toast: Getting a Taste for the Bard
Shakespeare on Toast: Getting a Taste for the Bard
by Ben Crystal

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and entertaining, 5 Feb. 2011
We were lucky enough to hear Ben Crystal speak about this book, and he was spellbinding. The book catches much of his engaging, refreshing views about Shakespeare and why he should be more accessible to everyone. His experiences in acting Shakespeare around the world inform a very different perspective on delivery, staging and the place of iambic pentameter. Particularly useful for those studying Shakespeare as part of the English Language syllabus: Crystal unravels the codes and clues in grammar and language which lead to a very different view of what Shakespeare intended. All written in an accessible, humorous style guaranteed to keep you reading.

Dissolution (The Shardlake Series)
Dissolution (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic historical crime novel - totally unmissable, 9 Aug. 2008
The weaving of historical detail into a complex storyline is masterful and I found this novel totally compelling. Sansom is expert at evoking the sounds and smells of London in the 1500s, and developing his characters as the story progresses. His use of language is rich and expressive, in some ways reminiscent of Hardy and Dickens, but with great pace and clever crime thriller plot. What really impressed me was the way that the reader's sympathy for the characters portrayed - including Shardlake - wavers and changes through the story, making them much more convincing. I read this straight through, then rushed off to buy Dark Fire.

Sovay
Sovay
by Celia Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read with great historical detail, 9 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Sovay (Hardcover)
My son read Witch Child at school, so I read it too, along with Sorceress. We were lucky enough to have Celia Rees visit when Sovay was published, and listen to some of the background to this compelling story. The characters were well drawn and it was refreshing to see such a feisty female lead - apparently not so unusual for the period in which this was set. There were echoes of A Tale of Two Cities, but the story worked well set in both England and France, giving it a different perspective. It had good pace, and was in parts hard to put down. My only disappointment was the very end: I think it would have been better if the reader had been left wondering. Overall, I would definitely recommend this - we also read Gardner's The Red Necklace, which pales in comparison.

(Duplicate of B00008K64J) Braun KF550 AromaPassion Filter Coffee maker
(Duplicate of B00008K64J) Braun KF550 AromaPassion Filter Coffee maker

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the kitchen, 11 Oct. 2004
Good coffee, speedy and without the need to filter water. Also has two hour cut off function, great if like us you forget to turn it off when you've finished. We have no problem with coffee strength. My husband often drinks espresso and so can't stand weak coffee - we use medium strength with no problems. Would recommend this coffee maker - a lot less messing around than a cafetiere.