Profile for Doodlebug > Reviews

Content by Doodlebug

Doodlebug "bluesphynx"

A5 Thick Classic Notebook with Pen Loop - Lemome Dotted Grid Hardcover Journal with Pocket to Write in + Page Dividers Gifts, Banded, Large, 180 Pages, 8.4 x 5.7 inch
Offered by lemome

5.0 out of 5 stars Good paper, 4 July 2017
Good quality paper (unlike some brands who shall remain nameless) which takes fountain pen well - I've used diamine and J. Herbin, and a generic Indian Ink. I love the pen loop being in the spine as it also seems to give the pen a bit more protection from being bashed about in my bag. If you don't like the feel of neoprene this might not be the best choice for you; it does share that same weird tacky suede-but-wrong texture (I don't like the feel but I'm trying to get over myself; I'm not going to knock stars off for my own odd quirks). Wish it had page numbers, but you can't have everything and paper quality is more important to me. As things stand, I'm pretty likely to buy another once it's full.

LEUCHTTURM1917 329398 Notebook Medium (A5), 249 numbered pages, dotted, black
LEUCHTTURM1917 329398 Notebook Medium (A5), 249 numbered pages, dotted, black

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor paper quality, 4 July 2017
Got one to see what all the fuss is about, and I'm deeply disappointed. The notebook itself is nice, but the paper quality is so poor that even the lightest of my pens shadows and many bleed right through. I do really like the dot-grid, but not enough to put up with such sub-standard paper so I'll return to my squared sigel conceptums once I'm done with it.

Blood Lust in Whitby and Highgate.: An introduction to English Vampire Lore and History.
by Mr James J Browne

2.0 out of 5 stars very little information even for an 'introduction', 4 Feb. 2017
I was expecting the book to be slim, as I have a habit of checking page numbers before ordering. That being said, vampire lore is pretty thin on the ground in England, so I thought 110 pages would still represent a decent chunk of information about English vampire lore. Apparently I was wrong.

First of all, it's set in large print, so the number of pages could easily be halved, and there are also a number of unnecessary illustrations which could have easily slimmed the book down further without losing anything (and leaving some useful ones behind too). I was a bit dismayed to find that the 110 page book was effectively only 55 or so pages, but I held out hope.

On to the information... I guess it would be okay as an introduction to vampires, but someone who wanted that would probably reach for a book titled "Introduction to Vampires" rather than one which claims to be more specific. Browne dedicates thirteen of his 110 pages to retelling the history of Vlad the Impaler and eight to retelling the history of Elizabeth Bathory. Six pages are spent solely on retelling the plot of the novel "Dracula". That's more than a quarter of the book. And they're simple synopses; there's no linking to incidents in vampire lore in England - or even to elsewhere, really. Then he decides to show us the 'vampire timeline' he sees online, with much derision. Now, I have no problem with the derision; I've seen that thing in the wild and it's a hot mess. However, he doesn't just give us his own timeline and some commentary about the other one, he reprints the other one with his commentary, *and then* he gives us his own time-line after that, which covers a lot of the same ground as the online one. It's blatant padding, and, given that the online timeline takes up eight pages, it constitutes another significant chunk of the 110 pages in the book.

We then get nine pages very briefly over-viewing Bram Stoker and some of the vampire literature around his time period; eight pages very briefly over-viewing Whitby history and a smattering of lore; ten pages about two English vampire tales, Alnwick and Croglin Grange; nineteen go to David Farrant, Sean Manchester, Hammer Horror Studios and the Highgate Vampire. That chunk was okay, but it sounds like more than twice as much information than is actually there because of the aforementioned huge typeface and unnecessary photos (he's also not the most concise of writers, which isn't normally an issue, but when you're covering Hammer, Highgate, and the shenanigans of Farrant and Manchester in what is effectively eight or nine pages then every verbal flourish significantly reduces the amount of information you're imparting).

To be honest, what the book really put me in mind of was when we'd get an school assignment with a page-count instead of a word-count, and the tricks people would try to pull. There's just not much here at all, and the vast majority of it I knew (and I'd have been able to predict that from "55 page long introduction to vampire lore"; it's a very different thing to "110 page long introduction to vampire lore from a country that doesn't have vast swathes of it").

tl;dr: if you used a normal font-size; removed or even just resized the unnecessary photos; only put in the author's timeline with full commentary instead of reprinting both timelines; and excise the regurgitations of Vlad, Bathory, and Dracula; then there's about 25 pages here, give or take.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2017 1:56 PM GMT

Mediflow Waterbase Fibrefill Pillow, Regular Size
Mediflow Waterbase Fibrefill Pillow, Regular Size
Offered by OC Waterbeds

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaked!, 2 Dec. 2014
Only one star because it leaked - luckily only a slow leak, but it was still an unpleasant experience. However, from my short time using it, I can say that if you like a low, hard pillow, or a high, soft pillow, then this may not be for you. Filling it to make it hard also raises it quite a lot, and vice-versa.

Beurer Rheumatherm Magnetic Heating Pad White
Beurer Rheumatherm Magnetic Heating Pad White

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 2 Dec. 2014
I was almost put off by the reviews saying it doesn't get very hot, but I'm glad I went ahead and gave it a go. The highest setting is similar to a fresh hot water bottle; the coolest is more like a hot water bottle after a few hours - not hot, but warm enough to take the chill off a dull ache. I think the discrepancy in reviews has something to do with the lack of heat radiation: you can feel the warmth if the pad is pressed against you, but if you were, say, using it to warm your feet then you'd only feel the benefit where your skin is touching, and therefore a hot-water bottle would be a better choice. There's also a couple of hard, circular pads inside, so if you're planning to lie on it then those could complicate matters. I'm using it for my abdomen and hip, and having little problem.

BaByliss 3035BU Thermo Ceramic Rollers
BaByliss 3035BU Thermo Ceramic Rollers

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 1 Nov. 2011
Not so great for root lift but the curls are lovely, and the selection of different sizes means you can get quite a few different effects. For me (long, coarse, thick hair with a vague 'nowt-nor-summat' wave) the curls last well even without adding any gunk, my hair's still noticeably bouncy the next day without a touch up, and when I do use priming sprays and so forth the curls easily last three days (they might technically last longer but I've never gone past that without washing it. Makes my hair shiny too.

A major plus over curling tongs is that although there's a 'cool' part you can still hold the 'hot' part without burning yourself (it's uncomfortable but you're not going to scorch or blister like if you let curling tongs touch your neck) so they're safer if you're not 100% alert or have small kids running around. All in all I'm satisfied with my purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2012 6:16 PM BST

Nordic Bakery Cookbook
Nordic Bakery Cookbook
by Miisa Mink

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Beginner, 27 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Nordic Bakery Cookbook (Hardcover)
Some delicious recipes, but as the other reviewers have said, experience will be a great help as sometimes things go a little weird. A book for the tinkerer rather than the beginner baker. Some of the amounts are odd too, and call for one egg so it's not an easily halved mix - not a problem if you have a big family, but there's only two of us and the cinnamon buns and ginger cake recipes both have us struggling even after taking some to the neighbour's.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2015 6:41 PM BST