Profile for Andrew Langdon > Reviews

Content by Andrew Langdon

Andrew Langdon (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
GreenPan Cambridge Infinity Ceramic Non-Stick Frying Pan, Black
GreenPan Cambridge Infinity Ceramic Non-Stick Frying Pan, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little pan, 18 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little pan. It heats evenly and the non-stick surface works a treat for both cooking and cleaning.

Whilst relatively small (I have the 20cm model), I've been able to make pasta sauces and still have enough room in the pan to add and mix the pasta. The pan heats evenly, making cooking an omelette or scrambled eggs that much quicker, whilst the non-stick coating means very little oil or butter is needed for cooking - and has the added bonus of making it very easy to clean after use. You can even put the pan into the oven (to a maximum temperature of 180ºC) to finish off a dish if required.

All-in-all, I've been very impressed with the GreenPan and am happy to recommend it.

Nokia Steel - Activity & Sleep Watch, white
Nokia Steel - Activity & Sleep Watch, white

4.0 out of 5 stars An accomplished activity tracker disguised as a stylish watch, 10 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been wearing and using the Withings Activite Pop for about two years prior to the newer Nokia Steel being released and have been a fan of it. The newer Steel model retains what I liked - and sadly disliked - about the older, pre-acquisition, Activite Pop but with a smarter, more stylish exterior.

Firstly the good, it's a relatively clever activity tracker that looks like a regular watch. Just set-up the watch with the free App on your smartphone and you're done. The Steel tracks your steps, is clever enough to recognise other activities like swimming, running, football and weight training, plus tracks your sleep cycle and syncs it to the phone App via bluetooth. The battery has lasted a little under a year on the previous Pop model and I can see no reason why a similar life cycle won't be achieved on the newer model. And when the battery gets low, just take it to your local jewellers and get the battery replaced for a few pounds and you're set for another 9-10 months of use.

Now for the two things the Nokia Steel has inherited from the Activite Pop I dislike - the black silicone strap shows wear relatively quickly and is a dust and dirt magnet. And more annoyingly, the watch face dials and numbers lack any luminance coating making it very difficult to check the time or your progress in lowlight.

Other than these two quibbles, I’m a massive fan of the Withings/Nokia smartwatch range, and look forward to using the newer, smarter Steel for many years to come.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2017 4:12 PM BST

B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen Beoplay A2 Active Bluetooth Speaker - Stone Grey
B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen Beoplay A2 Active Bluetooth Speaker - Stone Grey
Offered by Peter Tyson Online

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb premium portable speaker, 2 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been on the lookout for a portable Bluetooth speaker for some time and could never find one I was completely satisfied with. Then along came the Beoplay A2 Active!

This is a first rate portable speaker:
- it sounds fantastic, producing a tremendous amount of rich, distortion-free bass for such a small speaker
- the sound from both sides of the speaker produces enough volume to fill a room making it great for parties
- it is dust and splash proof (I use it in the kitchen and outside all the time with no issues)
- it is a good looking piece of kit and has great build quality, feeling sturdy and reassuringly weighty in the hand
- it has a long battery life that recharges quickly via USB-C

The biggest compliment I can give the Beoplay A2 Active is that I use it everyday.

B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4 Wireless Headphones - Charcoal Grey
B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4 Wireless Headphones - Charcoal Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars A near miss!, 27 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been a massive fan of the superb Beoplay H6's for a while, with their superb sound quality on all types of music, simple design and good looks. So when B&O announced a similar looking, relatively low priced wireless over-ear headphone I couldn't wait to try them out. Overall, my impression is positive but with a few issues which prevent me from being able to wholeheartedly recommending the H4.

Firstly the positives, the battery lasts an age (B&O claim 19 hours and that's about right, I charge mine every over week) and they fully recharge in under 3 hours. The fit is more snug than the H6, but with their light weight and soft foam on the ear they have proven to be very comfortable even when used for extended periods of use, and I've not noticed any sound leaking to annoy people nearby. Most importantly the sound is fantastic, on a par with the stellar H6's, but with a tad more bass.

Now for the negatives; hiss, design annoyances and price. There is a slight hissing when nothing is playing or there's silence on the track I'm listening to. Although the H4 mimics the svelte design of the H6, they are noticeably bulkier and feel a little flimsier in the hand. Also, they don't fold down/collapse for easy storage and there's no case and felt bag included in the box for storing the headphones when not in use, which I feel could have been included considering the £200 price tag.

Having said that, it is only these minor niggles that prevent me from giving these headphones the full five stars!

Burt's Bees Ultimate Care Hand Cream, 50g [Packaging may vary]
Burt's Bees Ultimate Care Hand Cream, 50g [Packaging may vary]

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but expensive, 27 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I work in an environment that is very dry and regularly move from hot to cold which plays havoc with my hands. They are normally quite dry, but these conditions can lead to my hands becoming incredibly dry and occasionally they become painful and crack. This particular hand cream is a soothing balm which has been fantastic this winter, it soothes my hands quickly, is relatively fragrance-free and dry quickly without leaving my hands greasy so I am able to continue working unhindered by a slippery grip.

All-in-all a fantastic product, but I can't give a full five stars as it is almost twice the price of my regular choice, the fantastic Neutrogena Hand Cream.

Trudeau Maison wine stopper, foldable
Trudeau Maison wine stopper, foldable

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, 15 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you occasionally don't finish a bottle of wine (crazy, I know!) and that bottle was sealed by a cork, you have a problem. That's where this Trudeau Maison Wine Stopper comes in. Simply pop it into the top of the bottle, fold the handle over and it seals the precious contents. The fit is even snug enough to be able to store a bottle on its side in the fridge without its contents spilling everywhere.

A wonderful little gadget!

Sony XBA-N3AP Premium High-Res Audio In-Ear Headphones with Dynamic Drivers - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, but with a baffling omission, 29 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly and most importantly, these Sony headphones provide fantastic sound quality with rich bass and loads of detail. With the right foam tip and music I am able to block out nearly all of the outside noise on my daily train commute to and from work without needing to raise the volume to dangerous levels and without music leaking out to annoy my fellow commuters. This is no mean feat given their diminutive size. They also come with a nice leather-effect carry case for storing them, which brings me to another nice feature: the cables seem to be immune to the dreaded tangle, simply pull them out of the case and they unravel without any wrestling and cursing that normally accompanies untangling headphones!

However, there are two problems. Firstly, and not that important, is the amount of rustle and vibration that passes along the cable whilst walking which is annoying but not a deal breaker. The second problem, however, is the reason that I cannot give these the full five star rating. The inline controls feature a single button to control play/pause, skip songs and so on, plus a microphone to make phone calls or use Siri. Bafflingly, Sony have omitted any volume controls, so you'll need to fish your phone out of your pocket to adjust the volume, rather than using the inline controls and leaving your phone safely in your pocket. Sony claim that there will be cable upgrades for the headphones which could possibly fix this issue, but a few months later and there's still no sign of any.

Yet, despite my minor grumbles, this doesn't detract for the fact that Sony have got the most important feature spot on... they sound fantastic!

PARKER Sonnet British Collection Ballpoint Pen Gift Box and Pouch Set, Stainless Steel CT (1978403)

4.0 out of 5 stars Would make for a very nice gift, 29 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received my first Parker pen more than thirty years ago as a gift from my grandfather and still use it today. Parker make fantastic quality pens that are a joy to write with and this pen is no different. This gift set comes with a stainless steel ballpoint pen that works with a twist-action plus a grey leather-effect pouch in which to store the pen. With its presentation box this would make for a lovely gift that will last for years (as I can attest!)

Oral-B Genius 9000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun with Charging Travel Case (Ships with a 2-Pin Plug) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic toothbrush, 25 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pros:
- Gives a thorough clean
- Pressure sensitive
- Built-in timer
- A variety of cleaning modes
- Simple bluetooth set-up

Cons:
- App 'Position Detection' feature hit-and-miss

The Oral-B Genius 9000 is a fantastic electric toothbrush packed with some great features whether you choose to connect it to the app via your phone or not. Primarily it gives your teeth a thorough cleaning and my mouth feels notably cleaner after using it. I particularly like the fact that it is pressure sensitive and reduces the motor speed and flashes red to warn you if you're pressing too firmly to protect your gums. I also like that the toothbrush has a built-in timer that stutters the motor every thirty seconds before giving a prolonged stutter after two minutes to ensure you hit the recommended cleaning time. Also, during use pushing the mode button will cycle through six different setting ranging from a more vigorous speed to a gentler, tongue-cleaning speed.

Also included in the box is a smartphone holder used to attach a phone to a mirror so you can use the free Oral-B app with your toothbrush. I found connecting the toothbrush to my iPhone to be extremely simple and liked that the app includes reminders to floss and use mouthwash, it also will send a notification when it's time to replace the toothbrush head. However, in my testing the 'Position Detection' feature proved to be inaccurate. No matter how I positioned the phone on the mirror and the toothbrush in my mouth it refused to recognise me cleaning my upper teeth, but this could be potentially solved through an app update.

There is also a hard travel case which can also be used to charge your toothbrush (although I cannot comment on its effectiveness as I've not used it yet) and a choice of four different toothbrush heads to get you started.

All in all, the Oral-B Genius 9000 is a fantastic electric toothbrush that I wholeheartedly recommend.

Manuka Doctor ApiClear Facial Peel 100 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiClear Facial Peel 100 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective but expensive, 4 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first facial peel that I have used so I have no alternative products to compare it with, but what I can say about the Manuka Doctor ApiClear Facial Peel is that it's proven to be very effective. It took me a few attempts to judge the correct quantity to apply to my face, but I soon got the hang of it and I have been reaping the benefits since. The smell is subtle and not unpleasant and it is deeply satisfying to peel the mask away after each use. I have found it to leave my skin feeling cleaner and in the month that I've been using it I have not had any breakouts.

The Manuka Doctor ApiClear Facial Peel has been extremely effective, but at £20-plus per bottle it is perhaps too expensive?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8