Profile for Russell G. Pottinger > Reviews

Content by Russell G. Pot...

Russell G. Pottinger (Dundee)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Last Pearl Fisher of Scotland
The Last Pearl Fisher of Scotland
by Julia Stuart

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice and lightly funny but not for me, 22 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I haven't read any of Julia Stuart's previous books, so I am coming at this fresh. The book is based around a man trying to hold his life and family together as the world has changed around him, and around his wife and daughter who are trying to help out each in their own way. Admittedly it is his daughter Maggie that has the biggest impact on the story with her one clever idea that changes everything that happens in their sleepy world.

Nicely written, well characterised and quietly funny in places it was a pleasant read that unfortunately never really grabbed me as I would have expected. Saying that I can't see any reason that it will not resonate with other people so it is well worth a read.

CyberLink PowerDVD 16 Ultra (PC)
CyberLink PowerDVD 16 Ultra (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, and slight image and sound improvement over free programs, 22 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't really fault this program. It was easy to install, plays my DVD's and Blu-Ray's without any issue.
It has a few features like the 2d to 3d mode, and image stabilisation, but I didn't really use those beyond trying them out once. The playback of the movies I had did look a little bit smoother than my default program VLC, so I will probably use this in the future.

3M Adjustable Foot Rest Sturdy Steel Black
3M Adjustable Foot Rest Sturdy Steel Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and adjustable, 27 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is very sturdy foot rest made out of metal. It has non slip coating on the top, and four non slip feet on the bottom. The foot plate tilts horizontally via a pivot in the middle. You can also adjust the height via four wing nuts on the inside, that will give you an extra inch in height if you need it.

Like everyone else I was lookign for a way to improve my posture when I was working on my computer, and people seem to say that raising you legs a bit helps. I have been using it for a few days and must say I quite like it. I am not sure if it will improve my posture, but I do tend to rock the footplate back and forth, so I assume that helps with circulation and stuff like that.

Arsuxeo Baggy Shorts Cycling Bicycle Bike MTB Pants Shorts Breathable Loose Fit Casual Outdoor Cycling Running Clothes Polyamide Lycra with Zippered Pockets
Offered by Lixada-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice light material, 22 July 2016
Nice light material, with plenty of give in it. Good velcro fitting options around the waist so you can adjust it to you size relatively easily.
Also has loads of pockets, so can carry keys, wallet, phone, etc. without any issue.

Rokit Professional Twin Kit Gel Polish
Rokit Professional Twin Kit Gel Polish
Offered by BestBuyUk

4.0 out of 5 stars Good results, nice kit, 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So this is for a friend as my nails wouldn't really suit the polishes on offer.

In the kit you get the UV light (powered from the mains), 2 bright colours of polish (postbox red and shock pink), a cleaning liquid to remove the grease and dirt from your nails before application, and a few wipes to clean off any last remnants before application.

Once you have cleaned the nails then you need to apply the colour of your choice. The liquid is quite thick and seems to coat well, and the colour is pretty powerful. Do the 4 fingers and then put the hand under the light and press the button once, and the UV light will come on for 1 minute. The liquid will harden in that minute, and to be honest it looked pretty good after 1 coat, but it recommends 2 coats. The 2nd time you press the button twice to get a 2 minute timer on it.

My friend has had it on for a couple of days now and she seems to be quite happy with it, and it doesn't appear to chip too easily.

If you are looking to do gel polish at home then this kit seems to be pretty good, although you do need a steady hand to apply it :)

USN BCAA Power Punch Performance and Stamina Drink Powder, Tangerine - 400 g
USN BCAA Power Punch Performance and Stamina Drink Powder, Tangerine - 400 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to give me a little extra energy, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have now tried this a few times before and during exercise and it seems to work ok.

I tried it as a pre-workout drink before hitting the gym (treadmills, bike and light weights) and to be honest it is slightly too much to drink pre-workout. It did seem to give me a little bit extra during the workout, but I am not sure if that was all in my head or an actual physical effect. normally with these type of powders you get a slight tingle from them and this does the same.

The taste is not too strong (pleasant enough), but it does have a bit of colour to it so it did stain my bottle slightly.

D'Addario PW-CT-15 NS Micro Sound Hole Tuner
D'Addario PW-CT-15 NS Micro Sound Hole Tuner

5.0 out of 5 stars A really and simple to use tuner, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am quite impressed with this little thing. It is very small, think about an inch along it longest access and it works off one of those small watch batteries (a CR2032 if you ever need to change it). Strangely the battery is exposed, but once it is in place that doesn't matter as it is inside the clip.

It took a little bit of careful effort to clip it into place at the bottom of the sound hole, but once there it was easy to switch on and see what tunning you need to do. It comes up with the letter and then has a few bars either side to show if you are flat or sharp. I compared it to an old analogue one that my dad has and it seemed to be pretty accurate.

This is going to remain clipped into my guitar for the foreseeable future.

Liteway Filament 4w ES E27 Golfball LED Bulb, 470 Lumen, Warm White, 40w Traditional Replacement

2.0 out of 5 stars Sent the wrong bulb, 3 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Description says E27 but was sent an E14 which is much smaller so doesn't fit.

Packaging looks ok, and the bulb itself looks like a nice cross between the really old school filament bulbs that are popular now with the low energy LED's.

It allegedly puts out 470 lumens at 2700k (warm white) but I have no way of checking that

Mr Todiwala's Spice Box: 120 recipes with just 10 spices
Mr Todiwala's Spice Box: 120 recipes with just 10 spices
by Cyrus Todiwala

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cooking book with good recipes, 3 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must admit that when it said just 10 spices I thought this book would be perfect for me. I hate having loads of stuff lying around the kitchen that I use only a couple of times a year, so this seemed to fit the bill. It is probably a little more complicated than I was expecting, but the few recipes I have tried have all seemed to work so either I am a better cook than I think I am, or it is just a well thought out series of recipes.

You get your standard selection of Soups, Snacks, Meat, Fish, Vegetarian, Rice, Barbeque and Deserts - so you are pretty sure to find a recipe that you like. And if you know anything about Mr Todiwala from his TV appearances then you will know they all have his signature spiciness added to traditional British and Indian meals.

The books itself is nice and solid, so I felt I could actually have it in the kitchen without it becoming destroyed too quickly, and the recipes themselves are easy enough to follow with the images giving you the carrot to try and get there.

I also quite liked one of the comments for the number of people a spicy pecan pie serves, 8 or 6 greedy people.

Srixon Men's AD333 Golf Ball - White
Srixon Men's AD333 Golf Ball - White
Offered by LBC-Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Good distance off the tee and pretty good spin around greens, 3 July 2016
I was looking for a golf ball that isn't too expensive but still gave me decent feel. I am a 10 handicapper and after using these for a couple of rounds I am quite happy. The ball seems to go a decent distance off the tee and doesn't feel too hard when chipping around the green. I don't get the bite around the greens as I would with the really expensive balls, but I also don't feel heart broken when I knock one into the trees somewhere.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20