Profile for FD > Reviews

Content by FD

FD (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
6 x Eco Halogen Energy Saving Mini Golf Balls Globes 28W = 40w SES E14 Small Edison Screw Classic Clear Round, Dimmable Light Bulbs Lamps, G45, Mains 240V
Offered by Strictly Lamps

3.0 out of 5 stars but it would be better if they all worked, 1 April 2017
The jury's out on these. So far one has blown within about four days and one arrived with bits rattling around inside (see picture). Ordered them from Strictly Lamps, who delivered promptly, but it would be better if they all worked. With two down pretty much straight away these are costing about £1.75 each . . . which is now a bit steep. Good light from those that work, though. I'll update if any more die early.

Roludom Men's Casual Cargo Pants
Roludom Men's Casual Cargo Pants

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent customer service, 25 Nov. 2016
Nice trousers. The material is thinner then the likes of Match, but the fit (particularly around the crotch) seems a bit better. Can't comment on the durability because I ordered a 36 which turned out to be too small (so maybe order a size up from expected?). I can, however, comment on the customer service, which has been excellent. I sent Roludom an email explaining the situation and they said they'd send me a 38 (no need to reorder). When I asked where they wanted me to send the old trousers (and how) they've said I can keep them. Lordy! So I'll now pass them on to someone more deserving (and thinner, clearly). I'll post a more detailed review once the larger trousers have arrived and I've worn them for a while.

TDK A34 Trek Max Wireless Bluetooth IP64 Certified Weatherproof Speaker - Black
TDK A34 Trek Max Wireless Bluetooth IP64 Certified Weatherproof Speaker - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice sound but flawed power retention., 18 Sept. 2016
Bought this in June 2015, so I've had it for long enough to have a fairly sound opinion. Nice, well built (and solid-feeling) unit with decent sound. However, it's hard to recommend because it stopped retaining charge after a few weeks. You can charge it right up, but come back in a day or so and it's all gone, regardless of whether it's been played or not. It's now therefore only really useful as a static, permanently plugged sound source in the kids rooms. I'd consqeuently be very wary of buying TDK again. This shouldn't really happen if your quality control it up to the mark.

Black Water
Black Water
by Louise Doughty

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark ripples, 15 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Black Water (Hardcover)
This is the best book I've read this year. As so often with Louise Doughty, she builds a compelling, murky arena in which well crafted characters struggle with both chance and choice (specifically here how personal decisions, often taken in extremis, deform both the individual and wider society). With the exception of Oppenheimer's recent films, the Indonesian Massacres of 1965-66 seem little discussed in Western media, but Doughty uses their causes and consequences to drag a slow claw down the spine of the reader, creating a confusion of sympathies and judgements that linger beyond the final page. Any author can use human barbarism and the fragility of order to quicken the pulse; Doughty's skill lies in embedding scattered moments of genuine terror in an engaging, character-driven narrative in which the reader sees reflecting shards of their own life and decisions. She has that rare gift of making the reader uncomfortable with what they are reading yet uncomfortably aware of the armchair from which that are passing judgement.

At first glance, the historical setting and style of 'Black Water' makes it seem very different to Doughty's bestseller, 'Apple Tree Yard' (indeed, she is to be commended for not just taking the easy route of merely recasting that previous book here). However, her core approach seems essentially similar (and similarly compelling): dropping us into dreadful moments and whispering 'Let he who is without sin . . .' Gripping stuff.

Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5450/83 with DualCut Technology, Titanium Blades and Cordless Use

5.0 out of 5 stars (Now very) good clippers, even better customer service, 21 April 2016
I'd had these for about two years and was about to write a review . . . when they died. You'd think this would rather prejudice the review, but a quick online chat with Philips support, one pre-paid envelope and, hey presto, new clippers. Excellent customer service; really impressive.

Regarding the clippers themselves . . .

Very good generally. I bought them for the rechargability (totally a word) and dial-a-length rotaty-settingness (not so much), both of which work well. Aside from the worryingly frail thermoplastic used in the main clipper attachment, the only real problem is they don't seem to cut thicker hair particularly well. I have to wash and thoroughly dry mine before using them otherwise the clog continually. Even if this is avoided I keep having to go over the same area repeatedly to get it all the same length, and generally using the 'turbo' function to speed things up (which may perhaps have hastened the demise of the original pair). I had a corded pair of heavy duty clippers a few years ago and they went through my locks like a pair of heavy duty clippers through hair. Less so with the Philips, but I'd probably trade that for the cordless freedom and the dial-a-length convenience. So a good set of clippers, but I'd prefer more bite and less clogging please, Philips. But well done indeed on the customer service.

UPDATE: Have used the new clippers and have now updated my rating to 5 stars as Philps have addressed my main complaint – the clippers continually clogging with hair – with a new clip design that leaves a bigger gap between the clippers and attachment (the plastic still seems a bit fragile but if you're careful you shouldn't have a problem). I also managed to cut my hair on 'normal' mode without having to use turbo, so I suspect the motor has been upgraded also. I still had to spend a bit longer than I'd like making sure all bits were cut, but given the price and convenience of the clippers that's a hit I'm willing to take. If you want a bang-on, micro-tuned, minimal-sweep cut then you need to spend a lot more on a professional set; for home use, this is now an excellent product.

JSG Accessories® 10 x GU10 5.5W 27 x SMD 5050 LED Super Bright Bulb in Warm White 3200-3500K Perfect for replacing 50W Halogen Bulb
Offered by JSG Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but dodgy [update]., 4 Aug. 2015
In terms of hand heft and brightness, these are great. And although comprising a grid array with no diffuser in front, they still look fine (with a pretty consistent, apparent intensity when viewed from more than a few feet away). Indeed, I liked the first batch I brought so much I repeated the order. However, since October (about nine months now), some 5 out of the batch of 15 installed have failed. At about £4 a pop, that's just not good enough. Indeed, they're failing with a higher frequency than the old halogen GU10s, which cost about 60p. I therefore can't really recommend them and will be looking elsewhere (most likely the double price Philips, but at least they seem to be reliable (?), so it'll be a saving in the long run). Such a shame, as these JSGs initially seemed much higher quality that some others I'd tried.

Update: Contacted JSG and they replaced the failed bulbs immediately. Excellent service. Haven't used any of the new ones yet but will update again if there's an improvement in their longevity. I've bumped the review up to 3 stars on the basis of the customer service anyway.

Update Mk II: Have been using the bulbs for a few months now and no failures. So presumably I just had a dodgy batch originally. Have ordered some more, so we'll see. What a rollercoaster, eh? I'm quite a tremble at the thrill of it all . . .

Anker AH430 USB 3.0 4-Port Compact Aluminum Hub with 2-Foot USB 3.0 Cable
Anker AH430 USB 3.0 4-Port Compact Aluminum Hub with 2-Foot USB 3.0 Cable
Offered by AnkerDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying but a not a deal-breaker as I could just ..., 13 Jan. 2015
Alas. Got one . . . and one of the ports didn't work. Returned for another (thank you Amazon) . . . and it kept stopping my Mac starting up or shutting down. Annoying but a not a deal-breaker as I could just unplug it (my Mac stays on pretty much all the time anyway). Then the barrel inside the circular sections broke free and started rotating inside (notice when I had to unplug it and couldn't get the USB connector back in). So, although I may have just been unlucky, two strikes out of two mean just a single star. Have now got a similar (but larger and less elegant) EasyAcc hub and it seems to work fine so far.

UPDATE: I thought I had amended this ages ago, but it clearly didn't save properly. I was contacted by Anker support who apologised for the issue and refunded me (very kind of them). They also said they were aware of the issue and are upgrading to a built-in cable, which may mean this one? (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker®-Unibody-4-Port-Aluminum-1-3-Foot-4-Ports/dp/B00PBZAWAC/ref=pd_cp_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0887CAAJBNREWFA39K12). Either way, I'm upgrading my review to 3 stars: one for the original product, but 5 for customer support.

Red and White Waterbottle Thirst Extinguisher
Red and White Waterbottle Thirst Extinguisher
Offered by Style Discount UK LTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame because it's a nice idea and design otherwise, 18 Sept. 2014
Worked well at first, but nine months in it now leaks everywhere (when inverted or on its side – as will clearly happen when it falls over in a bag – the water drips out through the sides of the 'ball' in the rotating plastic nozzle, as far as I can tell). Shame because it's a nice idea and design otherwise. But it's £13 (including postage) I needn't have spent, really. I won't buy another as, let's face it, a water bottle really only has two pretty simple functions: to store water without leaking and to let you drink it easily. The Thirst Extinguisher scores well on the second but clearly fails on the first. And if you can't get those right . . .

Satechi 10-Port USB 3.0 Hub (9 Port USB 3.0 + 1 iPad Charging Port) 5 Volt, 5 Amp

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 27 Dec. 2013
Not great. Had two and the iPad port worked on neither. The triple switch is a nice idea but, in truth, who needs it? Moreover, not all the ports can power a drive (grrrrrrr) and they seem a little flaky (grrrr squared), something not helped by the micro-port input being easily joggable. Very plasticy also (the 'creaks when you twist it' variety, with a big joining seam down the centre).

All in all not the greatest bit of kit. Sent both back (no quibbles and refund as usual from Amazon: well done them) and got the Anker (B005NGQWL2 instead, which seems much better. Both are a lot of money for a some ports shoved in cheap plastic, but the Anker seems a lot more sturdy (and smaller, which is more convenient).

Anker® USB 3.0 9-Port Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset and updated Firmware 9081]
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems fine., 27 Dec. 2013
All seems fine. Tried two Satechi 10-Port jobbies and the iPad socket worked on neither of them. This seems a bit flaky on that front but at least it does the business. A lot smaller than the Satechi also, which is handy. I haven't had it drop any connections yet (again, another problem with both the Satechi), but it's early days as I've only had it a couple of weeks. It's got that plasticy feel of so much tech now, which is why it loses a mark (it's a fair bit of money for something so borderline christmas-cracker worthy), but apart from that it seems well made (much prefer the full-size port to the mini-ports on some other hubs). In general, though, it seems to do the business as I've pretty much forgotten it's there (which is surely the mark of a smooth functioning hub?).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3