Profile for Slippery Jim > Reviews

Slippery Jim

Page: 1 | 2
Plantronics .Audio 995 Wireless USB
Plantronics .Audio 995 Wireless USB
Offered by NOGBAD Brighton Pickup welcome. Only order if you are happy with the price

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 2 April 2014
on time.Superb sound quality (48k DVD) and the software audio compander is great for watching movies with wide dynamic range. I can't recommend this any more highly!

New British Classics
New British Classics
by Gary Rhodes

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: New British Classics (Paperback)
I could rant on for hours about these recipes but I won't. Just try them... your mouth will thank you for the rest of your life.

Samsung 3 TB D3 Station USB 3.0/2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Samsung 3 TB D3 Station USB 3.0/2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Offered by SEDIVA UK

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get better than this., 8 Mar. 2014
Absolutely brilliant! 3TB and USB3 for £80. I've tucked it down under my desk so it's out of sight and believe me..it's out of mind. Acts like an internal drive. Fast, quiet and the best value for money I've ever spent. I haven't even begun to fill it up but because I'm a typical bloke I'm thinking of buying a second one. :-D

Levv Glass Computer Workstation - Black
Levv Glass Computer Workstation - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Ab Fab, 30 April 2013
Just take a few minutes to look at the assembly instructions VERY carefully!

I had to take it apart 3 times after putting various pieces together the wrong way round. :-) My fault though, not the instructions as after reading them again I realised I just hadn't read them properly.

It looks very stylish and feels very robust.

I can't rate this highly enough!

Hama Notebook Loudspeaker Sonic Mobil 140
Hama Notebook Loudspeaker Sonic Mobil 140

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 30 April 2013
If you just want a basic stereo sound system at a very affordable price then these speakers are for you.

Don't be confused by the picture, though. The unit with the volume control is the right speaker, not the left. :-)

Powercool 750W 80+ Single 12V V2.2 High Efficiency PSU - Black
Powercool 750W 80+ Single 12V V2.2 High Efficiency PSU - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, 30 April 2013
Very, very quiet PSU. The 300W one I replaced sounded like a Harrier jump jet taking off. I actually have to strain to hear this one at all.

I have two very minor gripes about this unit and they are mainly down to the limitations of the PC I've installed it in.

1. The cables come individually sheathed. This means they take up a lot of space and, after adding a BluRay RW, I can't actually connect the power lead or SATA cable to the original DVD RW in the PC.

2. It does not have a square 4-pin auxiliary motherboard power connector. I've tried jury-rigging one of the 6-pin connectors but it just doesn't work so I've had to buy a molex adaptor to get the CPU fan working.

Other than these 2 problems (and I admit they are as much to do with my PC configuration as the PSU) I would have given it 5 stars.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2013 6:57 PM BST

EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature2 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, 192-Bit, Nvidia Surround, SLI Ready)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic, 30 April 2013
Wow... just wow!

This is an amazing graphics card for the price. I tried running Bioshock Infinite on an i5 quad processor 3.4GHz CPU with 8Gb RAM and onboard HD2000 graphics and it ran so slow it felt as if the mouse was connected to the mouse pointer by a length of weak elastic.

Plugged this card in (with an upgraded 750W PSU) and it went like greased lightning!

Highly, highly recommended! And if you have the luxury of having 2 PCIe slots you can link 2 of them together using SLI.

Buy one!

Nvidia 3D Vision Wireless Glasses Kit for Gaming with Free Duke Nukem Game Voucher

1.0 out of 5 stars I think someone messed up on the price!, 22 April 2013
Its showing as £19,999.99 :-)

Damn they must be good!

However, I think I may opt for the slightly cheaper version being offered elsewhere for £49.99.

Zoostorm 7877-0095 Premium PC (Intel Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit) - Metallic

5.0 out of 5 stars I really can't fault this PC, 2 April 2013
Very fast delivery. Had it set up and running within minutes. Its an extremely fast machine but slightly noisier than I would like. The graphics are a tad basic but I plan on installing a new nVidea GTX 660 and PSU which should fix that.

All in all I would highly recommend this machine: an amazing piece of kit for the price.

EDIT: Well, replaced the PSU with a 750W unit, added a BluRay RW and a GTX 660 graphics card.

Now for the problems. :-)

The new PSU came with sheathed cables which means I can't actually reconnect the cables to the original DVD RW because of lack of space between the PSU and the DVD. Also the PSU doesn't have a square 4-pin auxiliary motherboard power connector so I've had to buy a 4-pin Molex converter cable to give the motherboard enough juice to make the CPU fan work. These are problems with the PSU and not the Zoostorm (apart from the space problem between the PSU and the DVD.)

The graphics card was a problem because the end covers of the Zoostorm are not easily removable. Only the one which lines up with the PCIe slot is removable. The rest are all part of one unit and you have to get quite physical with a screwdriver and tin-snips to get another off as the GTX 660 needs two end covers removing.

I still stand by my 5 star rating for this machine, though. The only problems I've had with it are because of the upgrades I've made. As sold its the dogs b*ll*cks!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2013 10:34 PM GMT

Celestron 31051 Astromaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive Reflector Telescope
Celestron 31051 Astromaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive Reflector Telescope

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 29 Jan. 2013
This is an excellent entry-level scope and fantastic value for money.

Assembly was fairly straightforward but I'd advise no-one to do the usual "man thing" of attempting it without reading the manual first.

I liked this so much I've ordered a DSLR adapter so I can take photographs. Note - a standard DSLR T-mount on its own will not fit the eyepiece so you also need the adapter.

Highly recommended!