Profile for Cad > Reviews

Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey
Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey
by Tim Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars A donkey on the Camino, 24 May 2017
I bought this book because I was planning to walk the Camino to Santiago, well the last 118 kilometres to be exact. Well I have now done it and found it to be one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Disappointing therefore to find Tim Moore so disparaging about the Camino, the country and the people for so much of the dialogue. A dialogue I have to say that is often almost indecipherable and has to be re-read. Fair enough, he walked the whole 500 miles and through countryside and towns that I did not and therefore it is a little unfair for me to criticise too much but I do wish he had been a little more effusive. Personally, the limited amount of the Camino that I walked was stunning in the main and I would recommend this to anyone. This is not to say that I did not enjoy the book, there was much to smile about and laugh out loud at times, I just thought it a little too negative. The main character is of course not Tim but the donkey Shinto. Their relationship developed throughout the journey as you would expect but it was not until the last few pages that it became clear how Tim felt about Shinto. In fact the extra star is all down to Tim's emotional meltdown on realising how much he is going to miss Shinto and his concern as to what will become of him once they arrive in Santiago. I have been trying to find out how Shinto fared after parting from Tim and whether they were ever re-united. Still trying.

Definitely Dead: 6 (Sookie Stackhouse series)
Definitely Dead: 6 (Sookie Stackhouse series)
by Charlaine Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead in more ways than one, 24 Feb. 2017
Awful, awful, awful. Where to start? I am ploughing my way through this series of novels as my wife bought them for me a while ago. At best they are ok, at worst truly awful. This book plumbs new depths. Why? Fragmented plot, in fact hardly a plot at all, intensely boring, characters you couldn't give a damn for and even in the world of vampires and werewolves frankly ridiculous. I am going to have a struggle in convincing myself to continue with the remainder of the series.

Storm and Conquest: The Battle for the Indian Ocean, 1808-10
Storm and Conquest: The Battle for the Indian Ocean, 1808-10
by Stephen Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing and harrowing tale., 18 Jan. 2017
An absorbing tale that reads more like a novel. It is sometimes surprising that Britain was such a superpower when there were so many incompetents in positions of extreme importance. Thankfully there were others that you can only admire and their courage and patriotism appear almost unbelievable in today's world. This is a thrilling telling of a crucial part of our history and reveals much not only of the historical events that took place in the battle for Mauritius but also the fortunes of the East India company interlinked with the colonisation of India as a whole. But also it provides a fascinating insight into the lives of the main protagonists and what went on behind the veneer of respectability. Perhaps most of all however it highlights the perils of living in such a time when life was so fragile and disasters so commonplace. I thought that the latter part of the 'conquest' was rather briefly described when compared to the rest of the tale but overall an excellent telling of an important part of our history.

Mutiny On The Bounty
Mutiny On The Bounty
by John Boyne

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to be taken too seriously, 11 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Mutiny On The Bounty (Paperback)
A decent novel and an easy read, I finished it in less than two days. However it is riddled with errors and not to be taken in any way as a factual account of what is one of the most researched incidents in seafaring history. As to the characters of Bligh and Christian, there is no doubt as to who is the villain in this account. In reality? Well take your pick, we are unlikely to ever know. Other reviewers have commented on the high educational standard of the cabin boy, an urchin from the streets and the relationship between him and Bligh. All highly unlikely of course but this is a novel after all and the characters are allowed some licence. What does annoy though is the fact that the the islanders of Tahiti, savages as Bligh refers to them, have such an eloquent grasp of the Kings English. This really does harm to the story. In general the novel is a little light in substance, detail and excitement. Ok, everyone knows the story, but a little more tension and earthy reality would have been welcomed. It was a little like listening to a song that was all at the same pitch, a little monotonous and lacking drama. The ending also was rather flat and so predictable. An opportunity missed, rather like the novel as a whole.

Everest [Blu-ray] [2015]
Everest [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasted Opportunity, 1 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Everest [Blu-ray] [2015] (Blu-ray)
I am a fan of anything to do with climbing mountains and therefore looked forward to watching this film. I was well aware of the events portrayed having read about them many times and therefore I did not expect to see anything that would surprise me. What I did expect to see was some amazing photography and a believable storyline. I must admit that I was a little sceptical as good mountaineering films are few and far between. Well suffice to say that my scepticism was well founded. The film was a complete bore. The character building was none existent, the suspense was absent and even the photography was a let down. What an opportunity missed. What is the point of making a film about Everest if you are not going to do something different to all those films that have gone before. Many of those watching this film will have at least some idea of what happened but this does not mean that there has to be such a lack of drama and tension. There were also a number of inaccuracies in the script. I am sure that I am not the only one who noticed the absence of the ladder at the Second Step! This is the crux of the climb and therefore how can they have left it out. All in all a wasted opportunity. Oh well, at least it maintained the standard of mountaineering films.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2017 2:44 PM GMT

Thorne Research - Bacillus Coagulans - A Unique, Stable Probiotic Supplement to Promote GI Health - 60 Capsules
Offered by iServe Health

4.0 out of 5 stars Pills, 1 Aug. 2016
My wife says they work for her. Cannot speak for anyone else. What else can I say.

Spider Catcher
Spider Catcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Catches Em, 1 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)
Works most of the time with all sorts of insects unless the little blighters are too small.

E FAST Color Changing Egg Timer
E FAST Color Changing Egg Timer
Offered by SPECIAL DEAL

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says., 1 Aug. 2016
Does what it says. What else can you say.

Tasting Tuscany: Exploring And Eating Off The Beaten Track
Tasting Tuscany: Exploring And Eating Off The Beaten Track
by Beth Elon

5.0 out of 5 stars First thing in the suitcase., 1 Aug. 2016
I love this book. Not just about food but a guide book also. If you go to Tuscany then it is a must as you will find so many fascinating places that you otherwise would not. I have been to Tuscany four times and this is the first thing that I pack.

Arthur: The dog who crossed the jungle to find a home
Arthur: The dog who crossed the jungle to find a home
by Mikael Lindnord

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, 27 Jun. 2016
How can you not be emotionally connected to this story. You do not have to be a dog lover to be uplifted by this tale of human kindness towards those innocent creatures who deserve our respect and help wherever possible. I am a dog lover and I find it hard to comprehend the actions of those who treat them badly and therefore this story has me at every emotional level. Beautifully told, easy to read and a delight to own. I challenge you to read the section where the team take to the kayaks leaving Arthur behind without having a tear in your eye. Arthur is gorgeous, but above everything else he is noble and accepting and far more worthy than those who may have mistreated him and shown him scant compassion. The trust that every dog has towards its human companions is humbling and this story is a great example of how to repay that trust. The author is obviously a compassionate and honourable man, but as he states he is just doing what he believes is right and what his heart is telling him to do. Nevertheless what he does raises him above most of us. I wish both him and Arthur many happy days together and I hope that the whole loving family are rewarded in the way that only owning a canine friend can reward you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6