Profile for Steve Craftman > Reviews

Content by Steve Craftman

Steve Craftman (Neath)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Remixes
Remixes

1.0 out of 5 stars Trash (in the worst possible way), 9 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Remixes (Audio CD)
I've tried to like this and failed. It has all the charm and satisfaction of a vicious migraine. This isn't a showcase for T Rex: it's a showcase for remixers who just happen to have chosen T Rex's work as their starting point. They have taken music full of charm and vitality and turned it into a series of self-indulgent parodies. If only the remixers were competent... You can only be grateful that there are multiple versions of the same titles: less of Bolan's work is being messed up. I can't even give this to a charity shop lest someone new to T Rex buys it and thinks that it's representative of Marc's work. Avoid at all costs.

Heroes - Live in Europe 2016, EP
Heroes - Live in Europe 2016, EP

1.0 out of 5 stars A mere shadow, 8 Sept. 2017
I only bought this in the then absence of a download version, and the only track I was interested in was Heroes. As far as King Crimson are concerned I'm stuck in the seventies: this EP exhibits too much cleverness for cleverness' sake which robs it of humanity and music. As for Heroes, it's a remarkably sloppy performance with Fripp's nowhere near as majestic as it was on the original, or even on Blondie's live version where he guests. The vocalist can't handle the song either. I understand Robert Fripp's concerns about copyright, but I've got morals and only got one set of ears, so it's disappointing that the CD is copy protected...

Mouse Pad (10.2 inchx8.2 inch) ,Lizimandu Premium Quality Pattern Anti Slip Computer PC Mouse Mat Soft Comfort Feel Finish(Gradient Decorative Pattern)
Offered by Lizimandu

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional and good-looking, 8 Sept. 2017
A well made mat with the edges carefully overlocked. A pleasant feel to the working surface of the mat, but the real selling point for me is the pattern: symmetrical and intricate in shape, but with the colours slowly changing in a random fashion. Perhaps it's the old hippie in me...

Thermal Insulated Eyelet Blackout Curtains - PONY DANCE Soft Solid Window Treatment Blackout Curtains for Kid's Room, Plain Drape Blind for Kitchen, Set of 2 Panels, 46" Width by 72" Depth, Red
Offered by PONY DANCE

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll be buying more..., 6 Sept. 2017
New house, new curtains... I'm not someone who can sleep in the light as a rule, so blackout curtains go without saying. So far I've done three windows with these curtains, another two to go when I decide on colour. The black (bedroom, to maximise the blackout) is good with only a little light showing around the eyelets - so much easier to hang than messing around with curtain hooks... Red for the two livingroom windows: the red is between burgundy and beaujolais and gives a pleasant warmth to the otherwise bland room. It's too early in the autumn to tell how much heat they retain, I'm afraid. Be generous with the width you go for (and at this price you can certainly afford to). Highly recommended...

Wahl SPL Power Hair Clipper
Wahl SPL Power Hair Clipper

5.0 out of 5 stars Wahl meet again, I know where, I know when, 29 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Many years ago I went from never cutting my hair to having a number two, then a number 1, and on occasion a 0. At the time I was spending a couple of quid every fortnight and it occurred to me that it would only take the initial outlay for a clipper set (easily made back within a few months) to be doing it for myself. So I bought a basic Wahl clipper set, on the logic that that was the brand barbers went for. The basic design of Wahl clippers has barely changed over the past thirty off years, until the advent of this model.

I have that sort of ginger hair that's very coarse (when I was a child, my grandfather, who used to cut all his grandkids' hair, would curse mine, saying it was like cutting copper wire), and has seen off a number of wireless clipper sets. I've always gone back to the plug into the wall Wahl, with all its inconvenience of needing to be near a power point - I'm not quite as limber as I was thirty years ago.

These clippers come with an impressive range of accessories, more than the standard Wahl clippers, including, finally, a case to keep the lot together. Even as I plugged them in to charge I noted that the feel of the clippers in the hands is just like the wired version. They charged in three hours. I then left them alone, not plugged in, for several days: I was't about to trust them, so was waiting for an occasion when I felt okay about fetching out the wired set when these ones failed halfway through a haircut. Trusting soul, n'est-ce pas?

So along comes a suitable day, I set out an old towel on the floor and set to. From the first stroke I was impressed. My usual routine is to trim my beard first, change the guard/cutting length, and then do my scalp. What Grandpa didn't live to see is that my beard is even more hard work than my head-hair, usually needing multiple passes to do the job. Not this time. Beard and scalp done in less than half the usual time, partly thanks to there being no cord to get in the way - with the corded clippers I'm usually passing the clippers from hand to hand because of the cord (smugly ambidextrous!).

The only thing I can say I dislike is the power switch, a pushbutton affair beneath a rubber cover: bring back the movable switch! Frankly, if you're wavering about buying clippers, go for these.

Toshiba P300 3TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDWD130UZSVA (Bulk)
Toshiba P300 3TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDWD130UZSVA (Bulk)

5.0 out of 5 stars Value and speed, 17 July 2017
I admit it: I'm boring. When I find something I like I stick with it. And I keep multiple backups. I've just this minute ordered a second of these drives (the 3Tb one) after having the first one running perfectly in a docking station (USB3) for the past few months. It's one of the cheapest major-manufacturer drives around, pounds per terabyte. Next time I need to open my PC up one of these drives will probably become my C drive in place of the 1Tb drive currently there. I don't think I can praise a drive more highly than to say I'd be happy to have it as my C drive.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2017 9:22 AM BST

Media Mp3 Player
Media Mp3 Player

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of time, 4 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Media Mp3 Player (App)
It installs, and it shows an advert. It even shows a list of sound files on your tablet, ordered by title or artist. And that's all it does. Make any attempt to play a file and it exits, sometimes to the location you started it from, sometimes to its page in the appstore. Don't bother!

Clock Radio with MP3 Alarm - August MB300 - Wake to your Favourite Music from USB and SD or FM Station - Rechargeable Portable Speaker [Wooden]
Offered by Daffodil UK

1.0 out of 5 stars If only I hadn't thrown the packaging away, 6 Feb. 2017
It's a shame as this clock gets so close to getting it right, but I honestly couldn't recommend it. It seems impossible to get a music playing alarm clock without a radio built in, which is what I really wanted as I never listen to the radio. For music input, it has a card slot, a USB slot and a line in - a cornucopia of inputs. Unfortunately, with each of the input modes, there's what appears to be a bleed-over from the radio, sometimes a noise like a conga being hit irregularly every couple of seconds, sometimes a very low volume electronic warble, ignoreable (just) when listening to modern ambient music, but intrusive when listening to baroque chamber music when there's no way you can pretend it's part of the music. On the plus side, both card and USB stick inputs have a shuffle function.

The control buttons are difficult to push and setting up the clock and using it not terribly intuitive. The volume control is something of a blunt instrument: zero is silent, 1 is a little too loud to be comfortable to play me to sleep and 2 is about living room volume. I'm afraid I don't know how far up it goes, as I'd fear for my hearing, which isn't terribly keen anyway. Fortunately, even at what it considers a low volume, the sound is good, if you ignore he bumps and whistles.Unless I've missed something the sleep control doesn't work: twice I've set there reading aloud each step of setting it up to turn off after a couple of hours and twice it's woken me up playing music several hours after it should have turned itself off. Of course, that doesn't include the "rehearsals" when I tried to set it for ten minutes to check how it worked.

It needs an odd viewing angle for the time to be visible, which rather defeats the purpose of a bedside clock: to my mind, you should be able to open one eye, see that you've got another ten minutes and go back to sleep rather than move to pick the unit up and tilt it just right. I can see its future being as a simple clock: I bought it to have a sleep function for music after reading in bed and to have a clock in the room. It fails on both counts. If I still had the packaging I'd return it.

Curved Space / Infinity
Curved Space / Infinity

5.0 out of 5 stars Illustrating the improvisation, 11 Dec. 2016
This review is from: Curved Space / Infinity (Audio CD)
The Curved Air rarities series isn't meant to be viewed in their main sequence of albums, more as a background or insight as to how they work. No, Sonja Kristina doesn't appear on either of these CDs (which, incidentally, get as near to the 80 minute limit as is possible - good value!), but they do show Curved Air's other big selling point: improvisation. Yes, Sonja Kristina has an incredible voice which has matured extremely well with age, but being the only woman in the band has meant that she is too often the focus of reviewers (and sometimes fans) to the detriment of the instrumental side of things, something which this release and its predecessor in the series, Tapestry of Propositions, put to rights. As far back as the early seventies the band were stressing the value of improvisation in their work and here we get an account of two different eras of the band, firstly with Francis Monkman playing only guitar, rather than his more usual mountain of keyboards with a little guitar, and members of the current lineup, two of whom played on 1973's Air Cut (incidentally, Sonja's absence makes Florian Pilkington-Miksa the only member of the band to appear on every release).

Of the two discs I prefer Infinity over Curved Space, for the simple reason that Infinity employs a wider range of sound: guitar has never been, for me, the be-all and end-all of rock. Ideas bounce from instrument to instrument and both discs have a "one take" feel to them. Perhaps a way of listening to both albums in this set is as ideas in the making (compare Young Mother (In Style) from the BBS Sessions to the track it eventually became on Second Album, and also witness the way its instrumental break differs on every live version...). Perhaps a "history for the fans" release rather than a project designed to make money, and certainly not to be viewed as a follow-up to North Star.

Xiaobi Dual Bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station with Offline Clone Function for 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch HDD SSD SATA (2 x 8TB Support)
Offered by FREESOO

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile piece of kit, 6 Dec. 2016
I bought this to replace a similar docking station which only had room for one hard drive and was limited to 3Tb discs (or maybe I misunderstood the comments on that docking station as 3Tb were as far as affordable technology went at the time). With 4Tb inside my machine and 2.25Tb hanging off the machine from the rear USB ports, I still don't have enough space to back up everything. What doesn't get backed up by Windows back gets backed up manually onto hard drives ripped from the guts of machines past their sell-by dates, as well as a couple of bare hard drives bought instead of expensively packaged external hard drives.

I've not tried the off-line clone function, simply because it's something I don't see myself needing. Writing to two drives at once produced a respectable 35 to 40 Mb/s transfer per drive, with about 70 to 80Mb/s when writing to just one drive. A charging only USB port on the front is handy, freeing up a USB port that otherwise would be dumbly charging an mp3 player of a phone, and as a bonus there are two USB3 ports - an advantage when many cheaper PCs only have one USB3 port.

The power supply is in a separate box that the power lead plugs into, presumably so that only the power lead needs to be changed for different markets. At first I cursed the thing for having an unusually shaped "in" micro-USB port on the rear, especially when USB devices are uniform enough to make a USB charger with a number of outlets a viable option, but then it occurred to me that although the port is non-standard, a large part of it consists of empty space, thus a greater surface area for both plug and socket which will help hold the connecting lead in place.

A worthwhile, reasonably future-proof solution to back-up and storage...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17