Profile for Professor Halfpickles > Reviews

Content by Professor Half...

Professor Halfpickles

When We're Together
When We're Together

4.0 out of 5 stars Twins of Talent, 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: When We're Together (Audio CD)
Honestly, this is so refreshing!

There's a whole variety of songs here ranging from early Beatle-type songs to songs with full-blown complex harmonies worthy of The Beach Boys.

And in between there are witty songs, bittersweet songs, dreamy songs and rousing songs.

What amazes me even more is that the MonaLisa Twins not only look great but they wrote all the songs and play all the instruments themselves! Make no mistake, these are two very talented individuals and they create a tuneful organic sound with lots of feel that had me coming back for more.

I discovered the duo on YouTube and I just had to get the album.

I'm glad that I did!

Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris
Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris
by Graham Robb

1.0 out of 5 stars Unretainable!, 24 Nov. 2010
I couldn't get a grip on this book at all! Robb is trying to tell us stories set in Paris but I am at odds with his prose. He spends much too much time describing superfluous scenery. His sentences are in general far too long and meandering. He adds what appear to be random thoughts and goes off at a tangent, leaving the reader in a confused and disorientated state. He needs to be succinct and focused with better developed characters and clearer story lines. I've read the first hundred pages and I haven't taken in a thing! No more, I've had enough!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2012 4:21 AM GMT

The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)
The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Darker Side of Norway, 19 Nov. 2010
Jo NesbÝ is quite different from contemporary Norwegian crime writer Karin Fossum. The latter is rather subserviant to the Norwegian system whereas Jo NesbÝ really lays in to the whole society! He breaks the expected code of silence. For example, he talks about the attitude during the second world war - how the resistance wasn't as big as made out, how the Royal Family fled to England and gave encouraging words from a safe environment and how, in fact, around 100,000 Norwegians actually supported the Germans!

Having lived in this country where the fair and mild mannered image is sold to the rest of the world, I find this refreshing stuff!! Good on you Jo!! Perhaps your next book could be about the treatment of the Lebensborn children!

Paris: Biography of a City
Paris: Biography of a City
by Colin Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars A Downlifting Read, 10 Nov. 2010
I know, it's me!! A lot of people have given this book excellent reviews, but it simply reminded me of why I gave up history at school as soon as I could! I just found it dry and boring. History at the level of kings.

I live just outside of Paris and I felt I ought to learn a little of its history to make it more enjoyable when I flanner around the city on the weekends.

For those of you who want to know a rip-roaring, bawdy, fun and nasty history, told at the street level, then I recommend Andrew Hussey's "Paris, The Secret History". Colin Jones' book I could not finish!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2011 3:47 PM GMT