Profile for A. Rose > Reviews

Content by A. Rose
Top Reviewer Ranking: 828

A. Rose (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Willy Chilli - Chili Peter Pepper Red *** free shipping *** - 10 seeds
Willy Chilli - Chili Peter Pepper Red *** free shipping *** - 10 seeds
Offered by Seeds Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Chillies & Poor Number of Germination, 22 Sept. 2017
I bought a pack of 10, of which 4 germinated. I'm quite experienced at growing chillies and grow many plants each year and was disappointed with the low number of germinations.

When the plants fruited I was even more disappointed that they were not remotely like the Chilli Willies pictured, they are normal boring thin hot chillies. Pictures attached.
Comment Comment | Permalink

ELEMIS Life Elixirs: Sleep Candle - Powerfully Aromatic Scented Candle
ELEMIS Life Elixirs: Sleep Candle - Powerfully Aromatic Scented Candle

4.0 out of 5 stars Calming Fragrance, 20 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This candle is beautifully presented in a rigid box with a magnetic lid. All Elemis products are similarly luxuriously packaged and make excellent gifts.
As soon as you open the box you can smell the lovely fragrance. The candle is heavy and comes in an elegant and minimally decorated dark aubergine coloured glass container. There is a chrome coloured metal lid and a thick paper to protect the top of the candle.

The lit candle gives an attractive glow and the scent quickly permeates the room – not necessarily bedroom, it's lovely in the bathroom too. It's difficult to explain what a smell smells like, but it does give a feeling of calm. From the initial opening of the box and candle lid I was expecting this to be over powering but it's not. It gives a definite scent to the room, nothing wishy-washy about it, but it's not headachingly strong either.

Yes, it's expensive, but it's the height of luxury to purchase for yourself and I've already wish-listed for a couple of girlfriends for Christmas.

Tess Bloom (Chemical Attraction Series)
Tess Bloom (Chemical Attraction Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sniff of Delight, 19 Sept. 2017
This is a very delightful story of Tess Bloom, a perfumer, living in Paris with her daughter, Natasha. Unfortunately, Tess has lost her sense of smell and is finding it increasingly difficult, almost impossible, to stay on top of her job. The bills are piling up and then there is a phone call telling her that her mother has died back home in Ohio. From here, Tess and her daughter go back to Ohio for the funeral and to sort the house ready for selling and each have adventures which were totally unexpected.

Tess Bloom is a likeable character and the story is well plotted and interesting with a splash of humour here and there. There is an element of predictability but the story telling is so flowing and charming that it really doesn't matter – the journey to the end is a pleasure. It could do with a bit of proofreading (I had a private giggle at Tess laying prostate on the floor when I'm sure she would have been prostrate) and if you can ignore the little errors, there is a really great story here.

Mine Tan Absolute Foam, 200 ml
Mine Tan Absolute Foam, 200 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars No Streaks, No Smell, No Orange, 16 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The very first thing is to purchase one or two tanning mitts, you really don't want this on your hands, nails and palms as it will stain really dark for a long time.

I've used a couple of different foam tans for home use and this is probably the best one I've used. It doesn't have that horrible 'Duo Tan' smell to it and it develops much quicker than others I've used. Preparation gives the best results so I made sure that I exfoliated knees, elbows and feet to avoid extra dark patches on dryer skin. The instructions on the bottle are very small and even with reading glasses I struggled to follow the directions, so I did what I usually do and gave the bottle a gentle shake (some say don't shake so don't know if I did right there) and started with a dollop on a mitt and gently rubbed into my legs, working my way up my body.

When all done, I stood around for five minutes to let it dry off before putting on loose clothing. It states that it develops after an hour but can be left longer to give a darker, more developed tan. As it's an 'extreme dark tan' anyway, I thought it would be wise to wash off after an hour to see what it looked like and apply again if I wanted it darker. After the hour and a quick rinse, I was pleasantly surprised with the brownness of the tan which toned very well with my 'dirty white' skin. There was no hint of orange or falseness about it, it really does look like I've had a week in the Caribbean. I would suggest that you rinse after an hour if it's your first time using just to see how the colour has developed and if it is the right tone for you. I am happy to leave mine for three+ hours as it tones perfectly with my skin.

Vagisil Prohydrate Intimate Wash to Nourish Dry and Sensitive Skin - 250ml
Vagisil Prohydrate Intimate Wash to Nourish Dry and Sensitive Skin - 250ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle & Soothing, 16 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From time to time most ladies suffer from stinging, itching or soreness around their most gentle and sensitive private areas. Soap and general shower washes sting and irritate and something a bit more caring is needed.

This Vagisil wash comes in a handy lift top plastic bottle with a small round nozzle so as not to pour too much out. The wash is creamy and creates a nice foam. It has a delicate 'feminine' smell to it and in no way did it irritate or cause stinging – quite the reverse, it's a gentle soothing wash and is ideal for menopausal women who may feel dry itching or stinging from time to time.

Carmen by Samantha C81029 Cordless Rechargeable Hair Straighteners with Keratin Protech, 20 W - Black
Offered by Electrical Emporium

3.0 out of 5 stars Look Stylish, Failed On Heat, 16 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Such a shame that these 'portable' straighteners just don't get hot enough to use properly. On openng the box I was surprised and pleased that they looked so good, all shiny black with stylish gold finishing touches. There's also a nice pouch so that your shiny black doesn't get scratched in handbags etc.

The instructions say to charge the appliance up for two hours for the first time. I did this even though the light showed full charge after fifteen minutes or so. The straightening plates are small, much smaller than the usual full sized plug in ones. I've got a lot of thick, slightly frizzy hair and they were just so inadequate in temperature and battery life. I had to go over and over the same sections of hair to get it really smooth and by then the battery life was going down and down. Maybe with thinner or already quite straight hair results would be better.

What these straighteners are really good for is a top up during the day at work or on an evening out. I found that I could get great top up results after I'd already straightened that morning with my hot, plug in straighteners.

I'm sure that one day, cordless straighteners will work well, but until more energy (heat) can be produced from batteries for a sustained time I will continue to use corded as my main straighteners.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine: The hottest Sunday Times bestseller of 2017

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, Sensitive, Compelling, 15 Sept. 2017
What an incredible debut and so brilliantly written.

Eleanor Oliphant is so obviously not 'fine'. She's had an unfortunate and horrible childhood, in and out of foster homes, no family or friends, and an unsightly burn scar on one side of her face. But, in Eleanor's eyes, she has a job, a home and can look after herself so, she's absolutely 'fine'.

The book is split into three Parts – Good Days, Bad Days and Better Days. Good Days is the setting of the scene, we get to know Eleanor and her foibles. She is a strange, complex and eccentric young woman, one who you could imagine maybe being a bit picked on or seen as weird. After helping a collapsed man in the street, she begins to build a friendship with Raymond, her work colleague.

During Bad Days and Better Days, Raymond is an absolute rock for Eleanor. Written with sadness and pathos, the Bad and Better Days are a revelation into how childhoods and their traumas can impact on later life.

Gail Honeyman has written a truly amazing book and has cleverly woven a lovable character in Eleanor Oliphant and her sad life. There is much to laugh at as well as giving the reader deep and caring feelings for this strange young woman. I came to love Eleanor Oliphant and was truly sad to reach the end of the book and the end of my time with her. I haven't read a book quite like this since A Man Called Ove was released.

I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read an Advance Reading Copy of this book for which I chose to give my honest review.

Yesterday: The thriller of the summer
Yesterday: The thriller of the summer

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy World of Lost Memories, 10 Sept. 2017
From the initial 'blurb' and genre listing of psychological/thriller/mystery, I din't expect this book to be fantasy/science fiction at all.

This is a world of mono's and duo's – mono's remember just one day, duo's remember two. Mono's are inferior to duo's. Mark and Claire are a mixed marriage; Mark is a duo and Claire a mere mono. The body of Mark's mistress has been washed up on the river Cam and Claire initially suspects her husband might have something to do with her death. Hans is the detective trying to solve what he suspects is murder, by the end of the day. He needs to do this within a day because he is a mono but also needs to keep this fact from his duo colleagues.

I found parts of this book confusing and also I wanted to shout “What does it matter? all will have forgotten by three days anyway” - only they didn't seem to forget everything, which just added to my confusion of how all the mono/duo memories worked.

I can't say it's a favourite book and, as none of my friends read fantasy, I can't think who to recommend this book to other than fantasy/sci-fi readers.

ELEMIS Life Elixirs: Clarity Perfume Oil - Perfume Oil Rollerball 8.5ml
ELEMIS Life Elixirs: Clarity Perfume Oil - Perfume Oil Rollerball 8.5ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Oily & Cloying, 4 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ellemis has a good, quality range of products and I was really excited to try this rollerball perfume by them. From the description (Bitter Orange, Cardamom and Ginger) I would have expected to like the fragrance but for me it was quite heavy and cloying.

The perfume itself comes in a nice magnetic presentation box and the rollerball tube is of slim aubergine coloured glass and has a sophisticated feel to it. 8ml's is quite small (one and a half teaspoons) but it is an intense oil, not the much diluted eau de toilette.

Smell-wise – it's difficult to describe but I got a memory of when I used to visit the carpenter to collect sawdust for my pets. It's quite woody and spicy but with a perfumey edge, not at all floral.

It's suggested to use on wrists, neck and temples. I use it on my wrists and it's fine at that distance from my face. I used it on my neck and it was oily and too cloying around my face – there's no way I would put it on my temples, much too oily and would be awful in hair and close to eyes.

This would suit people who like a strong, heavy and spicy perfume. There's nothing of the fragrance to dislike, but this would not be my first choice.

Remington D4110OP 2000 W Retro Hair Dryer, Pink Lady
Remington D4110OP 2000 W Retro Hair Dryer, Pink Lady

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Hair Drying Set, 3 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a complete set, this retro hair dryer by Remmington is fabulous for a girl's gift, birthday or Christmas present. If you're buying a hair dryer for yourself then I would get one more suited to your needs than this one just because it has a lot of attractive accessories. By 'needs' I mean if you want a sleek straight style then you might be better with an ionic dryer. You don't realise that ionic actually does anything until you use a non-ionic dryer, which this one is.

This set comes in a very useful pink carry-case which includes a hair dryer, the usual slim nozzle to focus the air, a volumiser, a slim teasing brush and a ponytail tie.

The hair dryer itself is a lovely shade of pink and has the 1960s or 70s retro style. It has a slide for speed and heat controls and a cool shot button. I found it to be good and hot (I like a hot dryer) but had to put it on the fast speed to be sufficiently hot for me. The cord is short, 1.73 metres (that's 5 feet 6 inches), so when I plugged it in at floor level, took half a step sideways to my mirror and lifted the dryer to the top of my head, it pulled back. Unless your mirror is next to a socket and preferably a socket at work-top level rather than floor level, it will be too short for comfortable use if you are much more than 5 feet and a few inches tall.

This is also available in a retro blue with slightly different accessories.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20