Profile for Curried Unicorn > Reviews

Content by Curried Unicorn

Curried Unicorn "dunsty"

Surviving the Death of a Sibling: Living Through Grief When an Adult Brother or Sister Dies
by T. J. Wray

5.0 out of 5 stars The best guide/support book I found for adult sibling survivors. A source of enduring comfort and reference., 1 Dec. 2015
My brother passed away 8 years ago now, and I stumbled across this book about 3 years after he passed. I still refer to it now. I found it very easy to read and covers all the aspects of grieving I was going through myself. Sibling death is not normally appreciated by others as being as devastating as it is, so this book was also a comfort when I felt isolated from family and friends. I have since bought copies for two other friends who have been bereaved of their siblings and they have both appreciated it too.

Arm in Arm: A Collection of Connections, Endless Tales, Reiterations, and Other Echolalia
by Remy Charlip

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, intriguing, charming, 1 Dec. 2015
I was given this book when I was tiny, back in the early 70s. It's a riot of colour, wit and cleverness. I find it as fascinating now as I ever did as a child. The illustrations are so well done and beautifully coloured. All the copies I've bought lately have been for adult friends!

Rio Dental Polisher with Teeth Cleaning Tools and Whitening Kit
Rio Dental Polisher with Teeth Cleaning Tools and Whitening Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this kit to remove some bad stains from my front teeth, 1 Dec. 2015
I bought this kit to remove some bad stains from my front teeth. The stain remover tool needs prophy to work, so make sure you buy some too. It does come with polishing/whitening drops which isn't clear from the photo - added bonus - and I found the polisher tool easy to use, it didn't cut out like some people here have said. I didn't realise how useful I would find the other tools like the mirror and the pik. I like the little section to hold all the tips. Oh - and the stains? Gone, after many months of trying various random products, gone by the second going-over. Yes!

Rident STAIN ERASER For Teeth For Removing Tea, Nicotine & Coffee Stains & More
Rident STAIN ERASER For Teeth For Removing Tea, Nicotine & Coffee Stains & More

5.0 out of 5 stars I had very bad staining on my front teeth, 1 Dec. 2015
I had very bad staining on my front teeth, two uses of this and it's all gone. I expected to have to use paste with it, but as it's got a hard tip (it's kind of like an emery board but for teeth) I didn't need any. The tip is pointed so I found I could get into the nooks and crannies - a problem I've had with other products.

I feel much more confident now and wish I'd bought one of these yonks ago. It's so cheap you can't go wrong.

Revlon Charlie 75 Deo Spray, Chic
Revlon Charlie 75 Deo Spray, Chic
Offered by Kiara World

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 'what it says on the tin', 9 Oct. 2012
I was a bit disappointed when this arrived. I was half-expecting a can or perfume bottle, but instead got a long roll of paper (very long) with a sticky bit along one edge. Undeterred, I decided to try and wrap some round my wrists and neck, a bit tricky but with a friend you can get a neat finish. Rather than the "dynamic mix of flowers and spicy fruits" it only really smelt of strawberries. Puzzling. I still give it five stars, as it was fun sticking the long sticky bit to my friends' backs.

Graveyard Blues (Night Blues Book 1)
Graveyard Blues (Night Blues Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 7 July 2012
I've just read this book for the second time, mainly to try and hoover up even more details from this incredibly rich, well-thought out story. The narrative flips between Hettie's point of view, a young woman mauled by a horrendous and gruesome killer, and Henry's, an elderly man whose life is changed beyond all recognition by pledging to help Hettie get revenge. I like the two alternative protagonists; the characterisation could easily have become blurred through the flipping between Hettie and Henry, but I never felt that they were other than two distinct individuals with their own histories, preferences and motivations. Very skilfully written. Hats off to Reina Salt, and roll on the next publication.

Bible Belt
Bible Belt
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute cracker, 6 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Bible Belt (Audio CD)
I love this. Great voice, incredible harmonies, excellent arrangements and backed up with some quality musicians. Looking forward to her next offering, a collection of covers of early 80s goth standards - gotta be heard to be believed!

Colossal Youth
Colossal Youth

4.0 out of 5 stars A strange, beautiful collection of great quality, 14 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Colossal Youth (Audio CD)
I first heard one of their songs on Annie Nightingale's show on Radio 1 back in the early 80s and spent ages trying to find out more about this band. Finally in about 1985 I got hold of the vinyl 'Colossal Youth' and was welcomed into an eerie world of unique making. The music is very sparse, with guitar, bass, vocals and drum-machine only (I swear one of the 'beats' is a recording of a tennis ball hitting a wall or a racket), but this makes the songs all the more compelling. The sound thus created sits in that fine balance between raw and polished, without being under- or over-produced. The lyrics, sung in Alison Statton's haunting vocals, are curious, intriguing and touching.
This music is definitely something of a precursor to the more unusual British girl-singer indie-band such as the Sundays and Portishead, and all the more interesting as, unlike other bands, the music is still very fresh and not at all dated. Many highly influential bands formed at this time: this is one of them. It's a great shame that the Young Marble Giants didn't survive to become better known, and I'd love to know what they could have achieved had they stuck together.