Profile for "riallewellyn" > Reviews

Content by "riallewellyn"

"riallewellyn"

Mad Catz PS2-PSone Auto RF Adapter (PS)
Mad Catz PS2-PSone Auto RF Adapter (PS)

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but..., 15 Jun. 2004
If you're planning to use your PS2 to watch DVDs as well play games, then you should try to find a friend who has the official adaptor as this did not work for me - the picture on the DVD's came through at times, but the sound was constantly interrupted by whirring, hissing and crackling, making it impossible to watch any film without wincing.
The games worked well with this adaptor, and the music cd's too - but otherwise this was pretty useless to me as I wanted my PS2 as an "all-round" console, rather than just for games.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 [DVD] [2003]
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Uma Thurman
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh great, another bloomin review, 15 Jun. 2004
Yup - I just felt I had to do it - as if there aren't enough reviews already right? I remember now how I felt a couple of months back when, with very little money in my account, I stumbled upon Kill Bill, and saw all the reviews back then. The thought "Hey, I STILL haven't seen this?" crossed my mind and I spent the remainder of my balance on my now most prized possession, not including my stuffed piggie - the latest QT film to be released on DVD.
Make no mistake - this film is not for those who are even the slightest bit squeamish. The blood and gore are, as expected from Tarantino, all there, no barriers between you and the reality of a samurai sword.
I'm not going to go into details about the plot as most people have already, but what I will say is that QT was looking for a challenge in this movie - he wanted to stretch himself. Now by looking at the action scenes (which Q has kept rather limited in his previous films, but now they contain, at most, over fifty people!) and the anime scene, which is my favourite of the whole film, you can see the big differences in this film and his previous works.
If you're looking for a film rich in history, not bound by the blockbuster rule of "to Hell with it, let's shove any old characters in a room and let em battle it out with not thought as to why", then this film is for you.
If you're a fan of Samurai/Spaghetti Western/Revenge films, then this film is for you.
If you're a fan of Uma Thurman/Lucy Liu/Daryl Hannah/Vivicia A. Fox (practically unseen since "Independence Day")/Sonny Chiba, then this film is for you.
And lastly, if you see yourself as a movie buff who just HAS to know what's new, fresh and exciting in the world of filmmaking, you could do much worse than Tarantino - he is, after all, a movie buff himself!

Olympus Soft Case for C-150, C-220, C-310, C-370, C-470 Digital Camera
Olympus Soft Case for C-150, C-220, C-310, C-370, C-470 Digital Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Safe and Functional, 10 Jun. 2004
I can't believe I'm reviewing a case.... but so be it.
This is a soft, padded case that has kept my digital camera from harm (and I bounce my camera around in my bag like nothing else) and also it's functional - the spare battery compartment is just the right size to keep enough batteries in to power your camera.
I had it for free, but would have been willing to pay for it.

Drop Dead Fred [DVD] [1991]
Drop Dead Fred [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Phoebe Cates
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Drop Dead Fred Fans Unite!, 10 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
It's years since I last saw DDF, so I'm thrilled to see the dvd is being released at the end of the month. If you like Rik Mayall in Bottom, The young ones et al, then here you will see him at his finest.
In-your-face wit shines throughout this film, though if you're not a fan of surrealist images then an imaginary friend with an attitude problem might not prove too funny.
Look out for the classic scene of Lizzie sitting in the dentist's waiting room, when allt he kids are gathered, and their imaginary friends (which only the children and lizzie, now in her thirties, can see) playing together.
All in all, this film is a must for any serious comedy fan - they don't make 'em like they used to!

Take A Look In The Mirror
Take A Look In The Mirror

4.0 out of 5 stars Converts ahoy!, 19 Feb. 2004
I'd never been a great Korn fan before, despite liking a few of their singles, I'd never felt the urge to go and buy an album. After buying this for my fiancée's birthday, I decided to steal a listen first.
Despite my disappointment at "Play Me" (I never did like the heavy/rap pairing.) I was hooked. I loved "Did My Time", on the soundtrack for Tomb Raider's sequel, and "Alive" and "Counting on Me" just set the album off for me completely.
Say hello to a newly converted fan! Just don't expect me to follow my partner's lead and start crying at the very mention of Head's hair... oy.