Profile for D. Gaskell > Reviews

Content by D. Gaskell

D. Gaskell (UK)

Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Xbox 360)
Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, slightly flawed, 9 Oct. 2009
I ordered this game direct from Amazon, and as always great service.
Now for the game.
Dirt 2 is easily the best racing game created by the codies to date, great graphics, sound and gameplay.
Online play is excellent, there's always been lots of players online to date, and you always get a great race, (apart from the idiots you get smashing into you all the time).
There is an offline career mode which will keep you playing for hours, but I do find it a little repetitive, I must admit.
Also I cannot understand why the game had to be 'Americanised', with cheesy american accents throughout the game, when it has Colin Mc Rae's name on it, who was of course Scottish.
Also if you are connected to Xbox live, there is a tournament mode, which records your score on various events, and puts them on an online leaderboard, there was a BIG problem with this feature when the game was 1st released, but the Codies worked hard to get it sorted and succeeded, so credit to them for that.
The game has many vehicles, and race types to choose from, and also a time attack mode, but be warned there are some great racers online, and as with games like grid, still some cheating going on, it's a shame the cheating glitches never got ironed out before release.
Overall Dirt 2 is a great arcade style Rally racing game, and has given me weeks of entertainment since release, and I would recommend it to any racers out there.

Geometry Wars: Galaxies (Wii)
Geometry Wars: Galaxies (Wii)
Offered by media-4-u

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Retro Blaster Gone Wild, 6 Feb. 2008
Well where do I start?
Well I could start off by telling you how much of a frustratingly addictive game this is, when you 1st start playing, you look at all the galaxies that are available to you, and think to yourself, this is gonna be a breeze, well guess what, it aint.
Without going into too much detail, and if you aint a PGR fan and haven't seen this game before, it is a sort of play on 80's games like Asteroids and Robotron, i.e a space ship that fires and moves in a full 360 deg. on a grid. You basically have to blast away at everything, and collect GEOMS, which are the Galactic currency.
With the Geoms, you can upgrade your drone ship which helps you in your quest, or you can unlock other Galaxies.
What I find so good about this game is the fact that it is going back to basics in a way, it has a distinct 80's feel about it, (vectrex anyone?)but with a few twists, and it is just sooo addictive.
When I 1st saw this game advertised, I thought it was gonna be like an xbox live rip off, but the programmers have added a lot to the original concept, which keeps ya coming back.
Also a friend bought the DS version which is also a really good game, and can be linked upto the Wii version to download an extra galaxy onto both versions, which I know is not much, but at least the programmers did actually bother to add that to both the games.
Also there has been added support for the Nintendo classic controller for all Xbox purists out there, (who I know are gonna moan about the classic controllers thumbsticks being too close together, myself included lol).
Secondly, I hope Bizarre/Sierra reap the benefits of releasing this game on the Wii, as it has been released at a lower price, and is definitely a 5 out of 5 value for money game in my eyes, and I just hope they follow up the good work with another release on this theme at a later date.
So if ur a Wii owner that has been a little bored with the latest realeases, and wants something a little different to play, give this game a go, be patient, and hopefully your patience will pay off and this strange little game will get into ya head and hopefully stay awhile.

Test Drive Unlimited (Xbox 360)
Test Drive Unlimited (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique Racer, 19 Aug. 2007
Played loads of racing games over the years, and never seen a racer done like this before, it's a great idea, and a good fun racer.
You start off in the game at the airport, you select your character from here, and then u are flown to the island of Hawaii.
Once you get there, u get a hire car, and then a property with a garage to keep your prized car collection in.
From here on, u can challenge other racers, select missions, i.e take models home with their shopping, pick up hitch hikers, race other drivers, and start to buy other cars.
I must say that the online community is also very good, with other racers flying past you as you roam the island, and there are many multiplayer races u can participate in.
The only thing that lets this game down is the scrolling, as it's a little quirky, as is the handling of the car.
Apart from that, it's great fun, and a very unique and fun way to race and collect cars, and hopefully we will see a follow up.
If ur unsure about buying this game, download the demo off Live, I'm sure u will enjoy playing it, I know I did.
This game is also great value at the mo, as I managed to get a copy of it for £15 off Amazon from a great seller, it's well worth the money.
So all you racers out there, what are you waiting for, this is a great game to fill in the gap whilst waiting for PGR 4.
Have fun.

TeckNet MAX SHOOTER 2 KEYBOARD & MOUSE ADAPTER FOR XBOX 360
TeckNet MAX SHOOTER 2 KEYBOARD & MOUSE ADAPTER FOR XBOX 360

5.0 out of 5 stars TeckNet TYX-501Z XBOX 360 Thermostatic Cooling Adapter For XBOX 360, 30 April 2007
As the last reviewer, I saw loads of bad reviews about the Nyco Intercooler, so I took a chance with this 1.

This unit extracts an unbelievable amount of air out of the xbox 360 console, and does cool the unit down considerably.

As with the Nyko system, it plugs into the back of the 360`s power inlet, and you can set the unit to Auto or Manual. On Auto the unit relies on a thermostatic control to switch itself on/off, which is quite handy.

I myself was worried about system crashes, due to the high temp. that the 360 runs at whilst in play, but as I said, my Xbox has cooled down loads since using this gadget.

Using the fan does add a little noise to the 360 when running but it is very minimal, and I would rather have a little noise instead of a load of fried chips.

Overall, I would recommend this item to any 360 owner worried about the temperature that their console is running at.