Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Still Alice
Still Alice
by Lisa Genova

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Still Alice (Paperback)
This is book is as close to perfect as a novel can be. You read it and get the sense that this is exactly how it would feel to have Alzheimer's - the horribly inevitable path feels almost note perfect. It is a difficult read, which is not to say it is a chore (I couldn't put it down - it was completely addictive and arresting), but it does cut close to the bone and I'm not sure I could read it if one of my loved ones was going through the same experience. I would defy anyone to read this and not at least shed a tear - I'm glad I didn't read it in public!

Simply wonderful - 5 stars.

Kinesiology Tape with *FREE* Ebook Featuring Latest Kinesio Strapping and Taping Applications For Best Results - *BONUS NEW YEAR Workout Ebook* - Best Therapeutic Sports Tape for Injury and Performance - Ideal for Knee, Shoulder, Elbow, Ankle, Neck Pain and Much More - Superior Waterproof Technology and Adhesion - Latex Free - FDA & CE Approved - Available in Black, Pink and Blue - Bulk Orders Available - 100% Lifetime *Better Than Money Back Guarantee* - © 2014
Offered by MasterofMuscle

5.0 out of 5 stars This sceptic is convinced!, 13 Feb. 2015
I am incredibly cynical about everything and to be honest I really didn't expect this to work, just bought it because I'd tried absolutely everything else (chronic shin splints and knee pain). Anyway I put it on - at first it didn't particularly work as I put it on wrong, and I thought it confirmed my suspicions that it was a pile of tosh. I tried again though and wow - what a difference!

My knee pain/misalignment is so much more manageable. My shinsplint pain is still there but vastly improved.

It isn't a miracle cure but it absolutely does work. I read somewhere that it is just a placebo effect - but I truly had no expectations of this working so I don't think it can just be a placebo. In my case I think it just takes the pressure off the injured parts and keeps everything more in line.

A great invention.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 1:03 PM GMT

Sick Notes: True Stories from the GP's Surgery
Sick Notes: True Stories from the GP's Surgery

1.0 out of 5 stars Not funny, just arrogant, 10 Nov. 2014
Condescending, contemptuous, arrogant, unprofessional. This didn't come across as funny at all but a huge whinge, about how everyone else is irritating, demanding etc (apart from Dr Copperfield, obviously, who is perfect in every way). He has no respect for anyone - not his patients, not fellow staff, not the NHS, and certainly not people with mental health problems who he seems to have nothing but contempt for. Reading a book like this would put me off going to my GP for fear of annoying the poor darlings (I'm sure the paycheque makes them feel better). Not funny, just arrogant.

Why We Write
Why We Write
by Meredith Maran

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book, 29 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Why We Write (Paperback)
This book was a gift and I started reading it with no real expectations either way. I absolutely loved it. It's not a 'how to' guide and it probably won't tell the average writer anything new - what it does contain is a boat load of inspiration for when creativity is running dry and writer's block is knocking at the door. I read a chapter whenever I need a kick up the behind and I always come away eager to write. I recommend it to all aspiring writers.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (Uncensored) [Online Game Code]
South Park: The Stick of Truth (Uncensored) [Online Game Code]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game, 18 Aug. 2014
Fab game. Lost many hours to it. A lot of TV-based games feel like an inferior version of the show, but in this case it feels like an extended episode in its own right. The humour is pitch perfect, and like any South Park episode it is extremely offensive (especially the uncensored version - be aware, this is NOT for children despite the childish feel to it!)

I'm not a big 'games person' so I couldn't comment on whether the combat etc compares well to other games. All I know is I had a fantastic time playing it and got completely absorbed in it until the small hours. I would hugely recommend it.

Schnitzerbrau Gluten-Free Beer (6-Pack)
Schnitzerbrau Gluten-Free Beer (6-Pack)
Offered by PureNature

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice beer, 18 Aug. 2014
Surprisingly nice beer - tastes a little like stout, in my opinion. Great option for celiac sufferers or anyone sensitive to gluten. Slightly chemically after taste but generally a nice beer that slips down very easily!

Orthaheel Sports Large 1 Pack
Orthaheel Sports Large 1 Pack
Offered by UK Pharmacy Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase., 18 Aug. 2014
Great purchase. When running, walking or generally out and about, I wear stability trainers; but I put these in my slippers at home and they do a great job of supporting my ankles (which are very prone to injury). They are good quality and durable, and can be cut down to the correct size (I accidentally bought large, but was able to cut them down to the right size). They are a good purchase for any over pronators and may save you a lot of money on physio etc in the future. Recommended.

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas [DVD]
The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vera Farmiga

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about this film, 18 Aug. 2014
*warning this review contains spoilers*

I am in two minds about this film. I thought it was well-executed in some ways, and provided a unique perspective on this horrific atrocity. I thought the young actor of Bruno did a good job conveying his innocence and naivety (although the level of his cluelessness bordered on the absurd at times). The end was harrowing, although I was uncomfortable with the fact that we were encouraged to feel uniquely sorry for Bruno's bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why should we feel any more sorry for him than for the millions of other people who faced this terrible fate? However the moment right at the end when the horror descends on his father - who has unwittingly orchestrated his own son's death - was one of the most powerful moments I have seen on screen in a long time. The acting is top notch and the film explores many important themes. I was certainly engrossed for the duration of the film and it stayed in my mind for quite a while.

However, what really let the film down in my opinion was the gross disregard for facts. Other reviewers have made comments along the lines of 'not all films have to be documentaries' - and I agree, that artistic licence is often valuable. However, when dealing with probably the worst tragedy in the history of human kind, the idea of glossing over facts to make the film more interesting is grossly disrespectful. Even a cursory knowledge of the holocaust makes it clear that (a) the idea that a child in the concentration camp could chat over the fence unseen is preposterous; (b) the idea that a child would be allowed to work rather than being instantly gassed is far-fetched; (c) the idea that Bruno could dig under the camp and get in, unseen and unharmed, is ridiculous; (d) the idea that a child living in Berlin wouldn't have any knowledge about the war and about anti-Jewish propaganda is also unlikely (made even more so in the book) and I could go on.

There is also the fact that the concentration camp is given a PG rating gloss. It's made to seem really not that bad. Until the very end (which is horrific), the horrors are massively played down. I think this is a huge disservice to the millions of people who suffered under this regime.

I think a similar story could have been written about a fictional scenario, which could have made valid points about innocence, propaganda, racial hatred, and many other important topics the film touches on. However, to make use of the Holocaust as a 'plot device', and then manipulate the events to serve the story, makes me a bit sick to the stomach.

Sexual Conversion Therapy: Ethical, Clinical and Research Perspectives: Ethical, Clinical and Research Perspectives / Ariel Shidlo, Michael Schroeder, Jack Drescher, Editors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and harrowing, 25 Feb. 2014
I wouldn't say I 'enjoyed' this book as it provided some harrowing reading, but it was insightful, interesting and eye-opening - a detailed account of the horrors and dangers inflicted on gay people in the name of 'conversion', when clearly no conversion would be necessary if they weren't trapped in such a backwards and excluding society. Important, landmark research.

The Linden Method - The Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks & Phobias Elimination Solution
by Charles Linden

1.0 out of 5 stars Consider the facts before purchasing, 17 Jan. 2014
Before investing in this product, I would consider the following facts:

- The Linden Centre has been listed as a non-compliant advertiser by the UK Advertising Standards Agency, which has assessed the claims made by this company to be misleading (google for more info)
- There is not one jot of independent, replicable, peer-reviewed evidence for the method at all
- Not a single mental health charity or organisation in the UK recommends it, to my knowledge
- It is not recommended by the NICE guidelines
- Professor Paul Salkovskis, a leading expert on anxiety disorders, has written a damning review which you can find under the 'most helpful' review here on Amazon UK

To me, these facts seem quite surprising considering the claims made by The Linden Method.

I would also be concerned by the advice to stop visiting your doctor or therapist. Anxiety can be a complex condition which is not always stand-alone - somebody with the appropriate qualifications is needed to advise on the proper treatment for conditions such as these.

That said, there are no doubt helpful nuggets within the method that can help with anxiety disorders and no doubt many people have been helped by this method, which is wonderful. This is because the content of this method is mainly based on freely-available advice, and advice found within books that cost less than a tenner. For example, 'Brain Lock' and 'You are not your brain' by Jeffrey Schwarz, as well as the excellent range of books by Dr. Claire Weekes.

If you decide to buy it and it helps you - that is wonderful and the method is to be recommended for that. Nonetheless, I think the above (indisputable) facts are worth considering before parting with a large amount of money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8