Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Prodigious Bibliophile" (Birmingham, UK)

Arctic Dawn (The Norse Chronicles Book 2)
Arctic Dawn (The Norse Chronicles Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars which I loved, is equally as addictive, 15 July 2016
The sequel to Midnight Burning, which I loved, is equally as addictive. Once again, I found myself foregoing sleep to read ‘just one more chapter’… And before I knew it, it was 6:00am 😳
The story picks up one month after the end of Midnight Burning, and follows Solina & company on their original quest. New obstacles arise, and deeper truths about the characters are revealed - but lots of mystery remains as-yet-unanswered, too. I still find myself invested in the characters, cheering them on as I read - and in Arctic Dawn, none of the dialogue felt untrue to the characters.
I now have a major book hangover, as I miss Solina’s world! I can’t wait to read more, here’s hoping book 3 is published soon!

Midnight Burning (The Norse Chronicles Book 1)
Midnight Burning (The Norse Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars you’re pretty much sure to like this book, 11 July 2016
If your appetite for Norse mythology has been whetted by Marvel comics and/or films, you’re pretty much sure to like this book. I couldn’t put it down - which sounds trite, but it’s true. It’s one of those books that I read until I fell asleep with the kindle on my face, then carried on reading as soon as the munchkins were deposited at school (housework, schmousework!)
Laurel combines Norse myths with present-day America to create an urban fantasy novel that not only holds your attention, but also keeps you guessing. The characters are believable - likeable (mostly), but flawed - and I found myself really caring about their fates as the book drew me into their world. Sure, there are the odd occasion where a character will say something that makes you pause and think ‘Eh?! S/he wouldn’t say that!’, or that sounds like a corny cliché, but these instances are pretty rare, and hell, maybe it’s just the way I read them.
If you’re after a book to lose yourself in, I highly recommend this one! Now, I’m off to read the sequel (Arctic Dawn).

Serafina and the Black Cloak
Serafina and the Black Cloak
by Robert Beatty

4.0 out of 5 stars Serafina and the Black Cloak is a fantastic read - one of those books that it's hard ..., 28 Mar. 2016
Serafina and the Black Cloak is a fantastic read - one of those books that it's hard to put down, and find yourself thinking 'Just one more chapter...' even though it's already 3am. Serafina is an engaging character, whose mysterious life is unraveled by the events of the novel, and is easy to relate to. The foreshadowing meant that the conclusion didn't really surprise me, but it's unlikely to affect the book's target audience (and to be honest, I was so gripped by the story that I didn't care!). I would definitely recommend this book.

I received a free copy of this book for reviewing purposes via Netgalley.

Demon Road (The Demon Road Trilogy, Book 1)
Demon Road (The Demon Road Trilogy, Book 1)
by Derek Landy

5.0 out of 5 stars even non-human characters are described so vividly that they are easy to picture, 27 Aug. 2015
I was already a fan of Derek Landy's writing before I read Demon Road, having read all of the Skullduggery Pleasant books, but even so Demon Road blew me away.

The characters are believable, different, and memorable; even non-human characters are described so vividly that they are easy to picture. The plot is fast-paced and exciting, building from one event to the next without ever being certain that the overall outcome is going to be a 'happy ending' - I couldn't put this book down because I had to know what happened next!

I would recommend this book to teenagers and young adults, rather than under 13s, as parts of it could scare younger readers (and squeamish thirty-somethings...!).

My overall advice for anyone considering Demon Road is this: Buy it. Read it. NOW!! You won't regret it!

Lies Ripped Open (The Hellequin Chronicles)
Lies Ripped Open (The Hellequin Chronicles)
by Steve McHugh

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read!, 25 Aug. 2015
As a huge fan of the Hellequin Chronicles I had high expectations for Lies Ripped Open... And, as ever, those expectations were exceeded! This instalment is just as fast-paced, exciting and unexpected as the earlier books, with the added bonus of further insights into Nate's past.

The book reads like a Hollywood action blockbuster, although the plot is much more unpredictable (never a dull moment!). The characters are realistic, believable, and memorable; there are old characters as well as new ones, and links between this book and others in the series.

In short, Lies Ripped Open is unputdownable - it grips you from the first page to the last, and leaves you wanting more!

KangerTech Genuine 1.8 ohm Dual Coil Compatible with Aerotank/Aerotank Mini/Aerotank Mega/Protank 3/Mini Protank 3/Evod 2/T3D and Evod Glass Dual Coils - 1.8 ohm - Pack of 5

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 22 May 2015
Absolutely awful. First coil was a duff, had a vile burnt taste. Second coil is no better. About to try a third, and they only arrived this morning. Not impressed.

Prison of Hope (The Hellequin Chronicles)
Prison of Hope (The Hellequin Chronicles)
by Steve McHugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent adventure!, 14 April 2015
I received a free, advance copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased review, so here it is:

GO READ THIS BOOK! If you've read the first three Hellequin novels (and the novella), you'll already know that Steve's writing is the type that wraps a tendril of hardened air around you and won't release you from its coils until you've finished the entire book. If you're new to Hellequin, that will make absolutely no sense to you and you need to go read them all!

I'm trying to keep this review spoiler-free, so I won't detail the plot. Suffice it to say that it is a doozy, the action sequences read like a Hollywood blockbuster, and the characters - both old and new - are unforgettable. Steve has a real talent for drawing on history, myth and legend, then working it into his fictional world seamlessly.

The best thing about this book (and the previous books) is that nothing is predictable. Anyone can die, anyone can betray others, you can think you've got it all figured out then get suckerpunched with a plot twist that, in hindsight, makes perfect sense.

The worst thing? The wait from now until book five!

So, to conclude - if you haven't read the Hellequin Chronicles, you are missing out. If you have, come join me for commiseration cookies whilst we wait to see what Nate does next!

With Silent Screams (The Hellequin Chronicles Book 3)
With Silent Screams (The Hellequin Chronicles Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the Dresden Files, this is for you, 5 Mar. 2014
Once again, another excellent book from Steve McHugh! The third instalment of the Hellequin Chronicles was unputdownable. The characters, old and new, are fully realised and are as endearing/loathesome as intended. The plot is fast-paced, violent (but not gratuitously so) and compelling. As an author, Steve is easily on par with Jim Butcher, and fans of the Dresden Files will love this series. Bring on Book 4!

Infamous Reign: A Hellequin Novella (The Hellequin Chronicles)
Infamous Reign: A Hellequin Novella (The Hellequin Chronicles)

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly riveting, 11 Dec. 2013
If you've already stepped into the world of Hellequin via Crimes Against Magic and Born of Hatred, you'll be completely unsurprised to learn that this novella is awesome. If you have yet to experience the pleasure of reading the first two novels, you're in luck - you can jump right in here and get a feel for the Hellequin world before you (inevitably) read them both!

Steve's writing is a real treat to any fan of fantasy literature, especiwlly fans of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but his novels also include historically accurate context, and he has created a believable world for his characters to operate in. The result is a slick, fast-paced read, that will draw you in from the very beginning and leave you desperate for more when you reach the end.

Infamous Reign gave me a much-needed Hellequin hit between finishing Born of Hatred and awaiting the release of the eagerly-anticipated third novel. To my delight, it centres around one of my favourite periods of English history, the short-lived reign of richard III. This alternative version of events does justice to what we now know of Richard III, whilst rooting it firmly in Hellequin's world.

I cannot recommend this novella, and Steve's other books highly enough. Try them - you won't regret it!