Profile for G. M. Buchanan > Reviews

Content by G. M. Buchanan

G. M. Buchanan "Page marker" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Cathedral
Cathedral
by Nelson DeMille

3.0 out of 5 stars Politics Cost Lives, 5 July 2010
This review is from: Cathedral (Paperback)
I am a fan of Nelson Demille and I think this is the poorest Nelson Demille book that I have read. I would say the story could have been told in about three hundred pages rather than the five hundred and fifty six pages that is in my copy.The plot for the story is good. It is St Patricks day in New York and the big parade is on.Standing on the steps of St Patrick's Cathedral are former IRA terrorist, Maureen Malone, now a peace activist along with Sir Harold Wilson, British Consul in New York and of course his eminence The Cardinal.These are the people the IRA terrorist take hostage when,led by Brian Flynn ex-lover of Maureen Malone,take over the cathedral.I'm sure you will agree that up to this point great story.I'm sorry after this the politicians enter the scene and the story drags for the next two hundred pages.The last but one final scene - the rescue is good reading and then it's back to double dealing with the cops and politicians.All in all a good story which I feel was denied a four or five star rating due to overdoing all the talk in the middle section.

Hidalgo [DVD] [2004]
Hidalgo [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Viggo Mortensen
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars A Horse is the Star, 10 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Hidalgo [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
The hero of this movie is the horse - Hidalgo - and the movie is based on the true story of Frank T Hopkins the greatest long distance rider of all time. Our hero is,at the start of the movie,in the US army.He is witness to the Indian massacre at Wounded Knee and this has a profound effect on him.He is part Indian himself.He joins up,along with his horse - Hidalgo- with Buffalo Bill's wild west show.Each day he does his best to drink himself to death and it's the horse that gets him through the show.Meanwhile the army has decided that they are going to kill all the Mustang wild horses unless the remaining Indians can pay a ransom per head. Our hero (played by Viggo Mortensen of The Lord of the Rings fame- so it says on the back of the dvd box)is approached to take part in the "Oceans of Fire" race across Arabia which is worth a lot of money to the winner but it is a hard race and in the past a lot of riders have died during the race.A lot of very rich people have an interest in the race (men and one woman in particular)and our hero is first attacked on board ship before he even sees Arabia.The film is then taken up with various attempts to kill our hero and his envolment with a very rich lady who may or may not be all she seems.The whole idea is for our hero to win the money and give it to the Indians so they can buy the mustangs.More than once our hero comes close to a nasty death in order to try and achieve this.I'm not going to tell you what happens but I can say this is a good family movie a lot of excellent photography full of good actors a good story and by the way if I could put forward a name for an oscar my nomination would be Hidalgo - the horse.

The Taking of Pelham 123 [DVD] [2010]
The Taking of Pelham 123 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ John Travolta
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars My Advice - Go By Bus, 9 Jun. 2010
The story is simple - bad guy John Travolta and pals hijack a train in the subway and hold the city to ransom - do they get the money - yes they do - do they get to spend the money - buy the DVD and find out. I remember watching the original of this story and maybe that is why I was a bit let down with this version.I think that I was expecting more. If you haven't seen the original then this is a good movie. Denzel Washington and John Travolta play their parts well and it is a good movie to kill a couple of hours with on a rainy night.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2010 5:24 PM BST

The Book of Eli [DVD]
The Book of Eli [DVD]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington

4.0 out of 5 stars The Longest Walk Begins With The First Step, 9 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Book of Eli [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit,from the start,I am a great Denzel Washington fan and in my opinion he does not disappoint in this film. The story is simple - the world has tried to destroy itself.Our hero Eli (Denzel)tells us (later in the movie)when he came to after the war he heard a voice telling him to get this book and to take it west.So he got the book and started walking west and he has been walking for the last three years.Eli tells us that he doesn't know where he is going but is certain the voice will tell him when he gets there.As you can no doubt imagine that after such a war there are no shops to buy food from and certainly no shops to buy shoes from.Water is scarce and some of the people we meet along the way have taken up the hobby of killing strangers and cooking them.Other people just kill you to rob you.So this epic journey is not a walk in the park.Eli has to defend himself and kill some of these people along the way.He comes to a town which is controlled by the bad guys (Gary Oldman) and it so happens that their leader has been sending out search parties to find "The Book" as he believes it holds great power.I wont spoil the story for you suffice to say number one bad guy discovers Eli has the book.This of course leads to gunfight in town centre (sort of OK Coral)from which our hero escapes followed by young female whose mother is the girl friend of the bad guy.Our hero and new partner end up having tea in the house of Mr and Mrs Canniball !!! The house is attacked by the bad guys and if you want to know what happens buy the DVD.I will tell you there is a totally unexpected twist in the tail and the movie is a good couple of hours entertainment.

Public Enemies [DVD] (2009)
Public Enemies [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back Bogart, 17 May 2010
This review is from: Public Enemies [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
I had read so much about this movie I couldn't wait to see it. Having now seen it I have trouble remembering any particular great parts.Plenty shoot outs with the FBI but very little other action. I keep saying the best actors were in the old black and white movies.They had to be able to act and they had plenty lines to say. This movie is O.K.and helps to pass the night but if you are looking for real gangsters then rent an old black and white movie with Cagney and/or Bogart in it. They were the original (and in my opinion still the best) tough guys.I feel that I'm being generous giving this (poor attempt at being a gangster movie)three stars.

2012 [DVD] [2010]
2012 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ John Cusack

4.0 out of 5 stars The End Has Arrived, 17 May 2010
This review is from: 2012 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This is a disaster movie,but,not a disaster of a movie.Some people may watch this movie and use it to make political points. I watched it to escape all the political build up to the general election that was being shown on the TV.I watch movies to be entertained,to escape into another world for a couple of hours to relax.This movie, in short,is about the end of the world as we know it.It is about how people in the know and with enough money can buy an extension to their life. The story is only secondary in this movie.The real star of the movie is the spectacular special effects.OK some of it is a bit over the top but it is only make believe.Slow start but when the clouds and the waves start moving it's time to leave town.I was going to say head for the hills but don't do that as most of them end up under the water.The time has come to hope your daddy still has some lottery money left and he can buy you a ticket for the governments spcial,secret boat.But even if daddy has bought tickets you still have to get to China to get on the boat. You know the good guys will get to the boat,you know the good guys children will not be killed but it's still a good film.Forget the political aspect and enjoy it.By the way did I say the special effects are spectactular.

Angels & Demons [DVD] [2009]
Angels & Demons [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Trouble in the Vatican, 16 May 2010
This review is from: Angels & Demons [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Having read and enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and having seen the DVD I was dissapointed with the Angels and Demons book. I read about half of it and passed it into a charity shop.However having read some good reviews of the movie and having seen clips on Amazon I decided to buy the DVD.It is fast moving and the special effects are good.It reminded me of an old TV show I think it was called Treasure Hunt.A couple were given a clue and if they solved that clue they got another one.After a number of clues they eventually found the treasure - that was their prize. In the movie a number of cardinals have been kidnapped from the Vatican (they were there to select a new pope) and the bad guys have also stolen a bomb.They say that they will kill a cardinal every hour and then blow up the Vatican.Enter Tom Hanks (not the most popular person in the Vatican after the Da Vinci Code - they must have a dvd player in the Vatican and they must have watched the movie).Tom - not a man to bear a grudge - sets about trying to solve the clues and save the lives of the captors.Fast moving full of action,good special effects well worth watching but not the best movie I've seen.

Descendant
Descendant
by Graham Masterton

3.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful When Picking Your Friends, 19 April 2010
This review is from: Descendant (Hardcover)
This is a story about "Things" that have more powers than vampires.For example they can go out in the sun and water helps to heal any wounds they may have.The story starts as world war two is coming to an end and these things are fighting on the side of the Germans.Our hero James Falcon,an american of course,along with a dog handler (and dog) is hunting the things down and killing them.He knows how to do this because his mum,born in Romania,has told him all the old stories and how the good guys can win.(Don't always believe your mum).The dog by the way is used to follow the things (called Screechers)scent.The things need to drink human blood and they do this by tearing open their victims stomach and removing their heart.The head Screecher called Dorin Duca eludes capture and starts a new reign of terror in London after the end of the war.Our hero who is now back in the states is called back into action and a young police dog handler,Jill by name is assigned to MI6 to work along with James.So we are set for a love story full of horror -- so what's new ? A real horror story - but not a horrible story - which is fast moving and will keep you awake all night.If you like Vampires - the undead - and horror then this is a book for you.

Book of Souls: A Will Piper Mystery
Book of Souls: A Will Piper Mystery
by Glenn Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars To-morrow May Never Come, 21 Mar. 2010
Unlike other people I have not read Glen Cooper's other books. You don't need to read his previous book as this story stands alone.The story starts with the sale of an old book.The only thing in the book is a long list of names with dates against them.Hence the title of the book "Book of Souls".The list is a list of when people are due to be born and the date people are due to die.It turns out that the book is the missing book that makes up a complete library dating from the beginning of mankind to the year 2027.The other books are held in an underground vault in the Nevada desert.So of course the CIA want to buy the book so does a wealthy gentleman who used to work for them.This gentleman persaudes another retired agent to come out of retirement (the hero of the story Will Piper)and help them obtain the book.During the course of the story Will ends up staying at a stately house in England trying to trace the origin of the book.I felt that this part of the story was similar to playing a computer game where you have to search the old house and find a list of items.It is a good story and very fast moving but I thought the "John Wayne" ending,you know, all the good guys are about to be killed --- when out of the mist the 7th cavalry appear, I thought that could have been thought out better.When reading it I felt the author was stuck for ideas on how to end it.Nevertheless a good story and well worth a read.

Your Heart Belongs to Me
Your Heart Belongs to Me
by Dean Koontz

2.0 out of 5 stars The Long Yawn, 16 Dec. 2009
I have read a lot of Dean Koontz material but nothing as slow and boring as this.The fly leaf tells you that the story is about a man who gets a heart transplant and then is told by an unknown person that his new heart belongs to them.What the fly leaf does not tell you is the fact the book (my copy) contains 337 pages and the transplant operation takes place around about page 179.So half the story is about finding out he needs a transplant and then about the effects that this information, plus the medication he is prescribed,has on his life.I should tell you that this guy has all the money a man could want and can pick what doctor he wants to care for him.I found this part of the story slow moving and a bit of a bore.The second half of the book is much better when the author starts to explain all the dreams and how certain items appeared in the house and other items went missing.We also discover how our hero managed to ret to the top of the waiting list for transplants within a year.Yes first 180 pages slow,could easily be cut by 100 or so pages.Second part very good.I am a fan of Dean Koontz and I will continue to read his books but this is not one of his best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8