Profile for amwal100 > Reviews

amwal100 (East Sussex)

The Pope in Winter: The Dark Face of John Paul II's Papacy
The Pope in Winter: The Dark Face of John Paul II's Papacy

4.0 out of 5 stars A Papacy too far., 8 Nov. 2012
I never was won over by Pope John Paul II and this book confirmed my opinions, authoritarian, centralising and conservative who probably should have retired some years before he died. The book is well written and as far as I could see well researched. It won't appeal to the many but for those of us who felt that John Paul's pontificate was in a certain sense damaging and depressing, they will find they are not alone.

Good Boy Small Natural Rolls, 100 Dog Chews 125mm x 9-10 mm, 900g
Good Boy Small Natural Rolls, 100 Dog Chews 125mm x 9-10 mm, 900g
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u

5.0 out of 5 stars Eaten in three seconds, if that, 5 Nov. 2012
My pet has asked me to write about the chews she bought me. They are very good and much better quality and consistent in size than cheaper versions. I am only allowed one a day but I really look forward to it and you never know she might drop another one by mistake. (Dictated by Ella, a working cocker spaniel)

CKS Lemon/Orange Reamer
CKS Lemon/Orange Reamer
Offered by CooksCentral

5.0 out of 5 stars A good value efficient reamer, 5 Nov. 2012
I am so lazy that everything I buy has to go in the dishwasher which excluded all the wooden reamers. Ideally I would have one that does limes as well as I think the head is a little too big but it is great for oranges and lemons and I use it on a daily basis. Would buy another if I ever had to and would be happy to give it as a present.

Goldcrest Granadilla Pulp 110g
Goldcrest Granadilla Pulp 110g
Offered by Buy South Africa Online

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money, 5 Nov. 2012
Other than fresh I have only ever used John West's (yes, the tinned fish people) passion fruit/grenadilla pulp before, which can be got from the Australian shop in Convent Garden or online from them and I foolishly thought the Goldcrest would be of the same good quality. It has a nasty tainted flavour to it so I tried a second tin but it had the same unpleasant taste with none of that heavenly tropical slightly sour fragrance and taste that is passion fruit. I can only recommend you not to buy it and if you don't need the seeds I suggest you buy from Amazon Funkin Pro passion fruit pureeFunkin Pro Passion Fruit Puree 1 kg - it's not cheap (£7.94) but it is full of flavour and freezes well.

Kuhn Rikon 22 cm Easy Ceramic Induction Frying Pan, Black
Kuhn Rikon 22 cm Easy Ceramic Induction Frying Pan, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-stick wonder, 3 Sept. 2012
I was very reluctant to buy a frying pan that would not go in the diswasher but as this was the only one of the right size I had no choice. Any misgivings have been overcome it is the most non-stick pan I have ever had and only needs a quick wipe with a cloth to clean it. I would buy another one if I needed to

Cooking Class Cakes (The Australian Women's Weekly)
Cooking Class Cakes (The Australian Women's Weekly)
by Australian Women's Weekly

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tasting, easy cakes, 17 Sept. 2006
It is almost with reluctance that I write this review as my friends will now know my secrets. All the recipes can be cooked by a beginner with a guarantee of success. The range of cakes is wide and the recipes are easy to follow. I have replaced the wheat flour in several of them with gluten-free flour with good results. Although I have tens of other baking books this is the one I constantly come back to.

The Cake Bible
The Cake Bible
by Rose Levy Beranbaum

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding cake making, 17 Sept. 2006
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
This is the book for you if you want to understand the chemistry of cake-making. If you are the sort of cake-baker who likes to fiddle with recipes, Rose Berebaum has been there before you. Invaluable guidance on increasing and decreasing the size of a recipe, as well where to buy difficult to find items. After 15 years of owning this book it is still my best bedside read. If you follow her (prescise) instructions you can't fail to produce fabulous cakes. Not aimed at the beginner but it will take you through to the heights of cake-making.