Profile for LaraMascaraNYC > Reviews

Content by LaraMascaraNYC

LaraMascaraNYC

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
ASUS Google Nexus 7 7 inch Tablet (2 GB RAM, 16 GB eMMC)
ASUS Google Nexus 7 7 inch Tablet (2 GB RAM, 16 GB eMMC)
Offered by MACnificent

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift for my husband, and he loves it!, 14 May 2014
He loves it. He is slightly obsessed with it. He keeps making me look at it... look at this... look at that... look, it does this... look, it does that... He is totally crazy about it!

InventCase Asus Nexus 7 Tablet (2nd Generation - 7-Inch) 2013 Smart Multi-Functional PU Leather Book Case Cover with Sleep Wake Function - Black and Tan
Offered by Sunny Savers Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift for my husband, 14 May 2014
It is a nice looking item. I wish it had a holder for the little pen it comes with, but it is still awesome.

Narcomania: How Britain Got Hooked On Drugs
Narcomania: How Britain Got Hooked On Drugs
by Max Daly

5.0 out of 5 stars It is very interesting, 14 May 2014
I'm really enjoying the book. Less fear mongering and more facts then we usually get when reading about the topic!

The Year of Magical Thinking
The Year of Magical Thinking
by Joan Didion

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, awesome, awesome, 29 April 2014
This is one of those books that I end up underlining passages in! She is such a great writer. Read it. Just read it!!!

Don't Tread on Me: Anti-Americanism Abroad
Don't Tread on Me: Anti-Americanism Abroad
by Carol Gould

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm torn..., 24 April 2014
I'm an American living in the UK, and I'm also Jewish. I'm not even remotely religious. I'm more Culturally Jewish than religious. I'm from Manhattan, born and raised, and I've been living and working mostly in London, and a bit on the Sussex Coast and sometimes in Surrey. I've been here for the last three years.
I'm also Ivy educated.
I'm not 'Pro-America' at all, nor am I in any way a conservative. America, like all countries, has many positive elements, and many negative elements.
The experiences she talks about in her book, the negative reactions to her accent, the assumptions of stupidity, the rudeness... the comments about Jews... It happens here to me too.
It happens to me all of the time here.
I wish it didn't.
But, it does.

So, in many ways, I found myself agreeing when she described her negative experiences.

That said, I didn't like her book very much at all.

I disliked her writing style, and her political views are very different from my own, so I found many of those rants really annoying.

But, the problems she is highlighting are real.

In general, in the UK, even in London which is supposed to be so cosmopolitan... White, lapsed 'COE', middle class English people... HATE AMERICANS, and they basically think that being a Jew is something that people should be ashamed of.

Not all of them... no... but, far too many feel this way.

It is soooooo depressing.

I was not expecting it. I don't hate anyone based on their religion, or nationality - not even those who have decided to hate me.

It makes life here very, very hard. Too hard to be 'worth it' which I suspect is their goal.

Russell Hobbs Heritage Coffee Maker 19170 - Metallic Red
Russell Hobbs Heritage Coffee Maker 19170 - Metallic Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, 24 April 2014
It is easy to use, and I love the timer. I love waking up to coffee already made! Awesome product.

James Martin ZX595 by Wahl Mini Grinder - Silver
James Martin ZX595 by Wahl Mini Grinder - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice!, 24 April 2014
It works well, and it looks adorable. I use it all the time. Well made and grinds really, really well.

Courtesans
Courtesans
by Katie Hickman

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it..., 7 April 2014
This review is from: Courtesans (Paperback)
It was interesting. It was not the greatest book ever, but I enjoyed the historical facts of the lives of women in the book.

Pretty Broken Punks: Lipstick, Leather Jeans, a Death of New York
Pretty Broken Punks: Lipstick, Leather Jeans, a Death of New York
by Martin Belk

5.0 out of 5 stars The real NYC, 7 April 2014
Great writing, about a wonderful time in NYC, full of extremely interesting people... the author catches the vibe perfectly. It comes off as honest, and clever, and sometimes sad, but often very, very funny. If you have any interest in NYC, in the clubs, in rock-n-roll, or the punk scene, the scene in the 90s, or the wacky, artsy people of this world, then you will want to read this book. It is haunting. I loved it. I cannot stop thinking about it. Again, the writing is really good. I hope the author writes more books - I will read every single one of them!

Thermwell Products Window Screen Adj 18x45 [Misc.]
Thermwell Products Window Screen Adj 18x45 [Misc.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Dec. 2013
The stay in the window! YAY!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5