Profile for Chronos v Coalemus > Reviews

Content by Chronos v Coalemus

Chronos v Coalemus (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Code Girls
The Code Girls

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the story, but marked down due to historical inaccuracies, 20 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Code Girls (Kindle Edition)
I generally liked the storyline of this book, but I was disappointed with the glaring historical inaccuracies and lazy editing - did it have a final proofread or are the mistakes due to the adaptation to the Kindle format?
The first appalling error was when prime minister Clement Attlee declared war on Germany. Really! I was not born until the mid 1950s but I know, and I have seen numerous films and documentaries which all state that the historic radio broadcast was made at 1115 on Sunday 3rd September 1939, when prime minister Neville Chamberlain declared war. There really is no excuse for such a mistake and it just means the author loses all credibility from there on. I don't expect to read an account by a military historian, but I do expect basic facts to be accurate. It doesn't take much effort to read up on the history of this period. Clement Attlee was not prime minister until 1945 when the Labour Party he led secured a landslide victory over Winston Churchill's party.
Other events to take issue with is the apparent lack of defences at Holkham beach. Britain's coastline was vulnerable to invasion and nowhere more so than the South and East coasts. As far as I am aware, the beaches were mined and were secured with wire and anti tank defences. A bit hard to believe then that Ava could have cantered along the beach on the horse and that she could get close enough to the shoreline to be blown up by a German mine. She would have been more likely to encounter a British mine if she had been foolish enough to wander through the beach defences with a child in tow!
The ringing of church bells - again I don't think this would have happened. This was banned in June 1940 and church bells would only be rung by the military or the police to warn of invasion, probably by enemy parachutists.
I did like the characters and the relationship between the girls was convincing. I believe the author has written other books set in this period - I will probably read one of them and hope that she has done more thorough research because the errors rather spoilt this book for me.

The Woolworths Girls
The Woolworths Girls

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read but don't think it will win any prizes!, 12 July 2016
I enjoyed reading this book, the subject matter was interesting and I like reading books set in the WW2 era. However, it was rather predictable at times and I have to agree with another reviewer who said the ending was rushed. Without wishing to spoil the book for those who haven't yet read it, the main character's husband came home on Christmas leave. They had not been married long, but for some unexplained reason, the husband was very distant with his new wife. His personality changed and later, when there was no contact from him, the wife believed he didn't love her any more and she believes the relationship is over. He is later reported missing believed killed. Later, she receives information, albeit in a most unlikely way, that he is not dead, but has been in France, looked after by the French Resistance. He comes home and there is no proper explanation regarding his behaviour and attitude when he was last on leave, and the book concludes with a predictable ending. A lot happens in the last few chapters, but not in a developed way, it is all rushed as if the author had reached her "word limit" and had to tie up loose ends as quickly as possible. Or perhaps it has deliberately been written this way to enable a sequel.
I would have preferred the story to have been told in a more constructive way, some of the characters needed to be developed more, but overall the story line is good and it is an enjoyable "easy read."

Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
by Jennifer Craig

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable - but true?, 21 April 2016
I have enjoyed this book, but in common with many other reviewers, I find the inclusion of a fictitious IRA bombing in Leeds, to be a strange thing for the author to do. The foreword by Jennifer Craig states the book is a true account of her training at the LGI although some people had been given different names. A bombing is a major incident and during such incidents the emergency services are stretched to their limits. Their courage and dedication to doing their best to help the public is displayed. I have no doubt that had Jennifer Craig and her colleagues dealt with such a major incident, they would have dealt with it professionally and with compassion-but I can't understand why such an incident was included in the book if it had not happened. I have researched the "incident" and found nothing. I am born and bred in West Yorkshire and I have never heard of such an incident and neither have friends or family.. In the 1970s the atrocity which was the M62 coach bomb occurred, which killed service personnel. This is still remembered and had such an incident occurred in the 1950s in the centre of Leeds, I am sure we would have known about it and that there would be some kind of memorial to the victims.
Apart from this, I enjoyed the story of the nurses training, although some nurses of the era have questioned some of the accounts of procedures and certain nursing duties. I think the best thing that shines through the book is the humour, the companionship and, most importantly, the obvious care and respect for the patients.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighten up your tablet with a great functional cover!, 3 Feb. 2016
Very pleased with this product. The price Apple charges for iPad covers is exorbitant. This is a good quality cover at a very reasonable price and it does the job it is designed to do. I bought a cover in 2011 and had to replace it with this one as it was getting tatty. Now my iPad has an updated look - with a bright functional cover. If this one lasts as long as the first I will be very happy - I will probably have to buy a new tablet before the cover is worn out!

Love...From Both Sides
Love...From Both Sides

5.0 out of 5 stars Really is a "laugh out loud" read!, 7 Jan. 2016
I downloaded this to my Kindle after reading the reviews. It was with some scepticism because I have been misled in the past and found the books people were raving about left a lot to be desired. I had not heard of Nick Spalding before - but I was definitely missing out. I loved this book, it is very funny and I was giggling practically all the way through - the two lead characters have virtually the same sense of humour, and outlook on life as myself. I enjoyed it so much I bought the three other books in the series and I am currently reading the third one. The second book was just as good as the first and the third is also meeting with approval.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book and this author - Nick has brightened up a so far dull, wet and miserable winter!

Slumberzzz Ladies Leopard Print Plush Lined Cat Face Slippers Beige 7-8 UK
Slumberzzz Ladies Leopard Print Plush Lined Cat Face Slippers Beige 7-8 UK
Offered by F & F Stores

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm and comfy - would be better if the soles were more durable and were not ..., 26 Nov. 2015
Warm and comfy - would be better if the soles were more durable and were not soft - but for the price I think they are good value. Delivery was quick too.

Dust Cleaner for Keyboards, Mobile Phones, Computers etc
Dust Cleaner for Keyboards, Mobile Phones, Computers etc
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Recommend- Great Product - Great Service, 29 May 2015
The item was delivered quickly and we have been impressed. It has cleaned up our laptop keyboard very well, and the fact that it is reusable is excellent - really good value for money and really good service. We would recommend the product and the supplier.

Parachute Girls: A WWII Love Story
Parachute Girls: A WWII Love Story

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Sentiment- But Just Lacking "Something"!, 8 April 2015
I have just finished reading Parachute Girls. The introduction to the book states it is a work of fiction based loosely on a true story. Without giving anything away, it is the story of a Manchester girl who marries an American GI. Years later she returns to Manchester and the North West of England with her daughter and granddaughter. The story is told from the perspective of the main character Kay and her granddaughter Christine, and moves between the Second World War years and the 1990s.
I suspect the author is actually telling something of her grandmother's life story. I did like the story and the message that came across, that being that life is short, and the relationships you make and the people you care for, are the important things.
The thing that irritated me was the "Americanisms". Before the Americans joined the War, Kay was not keen on them and her brothers had warned her against GIs and their loose morals! It is highly unlikely then, that she would be in Manchester in the 1940s speaking in American terms, ie "gotten" this, having "cookies" etc. The writing is full of similar terms and the dialogue between the North of England girls therefore does not flow properly and it is unrealistic. I can understand the author wanting to tell her grandmother's story, I just wish she had done some more research and had included some authentic Manchester dialect for the characters born and bred there. I do not profess to be perfect at English myself, but I do not like bad grammar in literature. It is a personal "pet hate". Unfortunately, these days of "text speak" and slovenly abbreviations do not lend themselves to good English and it is ever more common for incorrect grammar to be accepted in books.
Apart from that, the book is an easy read with a good message. I am glad that Kay's brothers' unfounded prejudice against all American GIs did not deter her from following her heart.

Steel Flask 1 Litre and Mug Set
Steel Flask 1 Litre and Mug Set
Offered by Picnics4fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - delivered 2 days before estimated time of delivery, 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Steel Flask 1 Litre and Mug Set
This item was delivered two days prior to the first estimated delivery date, which is excellent service. We are very pleased with the product, drinks stay hot in the flask and once poured into the cups remain hot. We were not expecting the two small plastic screw top containers (ideal for milk) nor the two teaspoons, but they were gratefully received. Great product - great service - you can't ask for more!

I'll Be Seeing You
I'll Be Seeing You

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This Book, 10 Mar. 2015
This is the first book I have read by Margaret Meyhew. It won't be the last. I have already downloaded The Crew and Our Yanks. I enjoyed I'll Be Seeing You - it was a well written story with warm, believable characters. Very sad in parts, very moving, and appropriate humour thrown in for good measure. The romance was also well written, no slushy, contrived dialogue, just believable emotion. The author has researched properly and the story all hangs together and has a satisfying end. I am currently on the second chapter of The Crew and it is just as good. I would definately recommend this book and this author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4