Profile for S. Elson > Reviews

Content by S. Elson

S. Elson (bristol, england)

Page: 1 | 2
The Wild Unknown Tarot Deck and Guidebook (Official Keepsake Box Set)
The Wild Unknown Tarot Deck and Guidebook (Official Keepsake Box Set)
by Kim Krans

4.0 out of 5 stars Update with the 3rd Edition, 8 Dec. 2016
I do not know what has gone wrong with the Mass Production of this fantastic independent tarot deck with a massive following. I did not know of The Wild Unknown when it was first produced, I saw YouTube videos raving over the lush deck when the 2nd Edition hit the fan base. At that time I wasn't a tarot user, so just followed the online hum of activity that was The Wild Unknown gathering popularity.
I joined a tarot course to learn the art of reading intuitively a few months ago. I bought a tarot deck which I was happy intuitively about. Then I saw The Mary-el tarot reviewed on YouTube, ummed and ahh-ed over that one, finally purchasing that deck too. I thought two decks were plenty for a novice tarotist, then I looked on the internet again. The Wild Unknown began calling me again. Reviewed by dozens of fans, the 2nd Edition needed a home. Along came the mass produced deck that was Edition 3, deck and guidebook complete in a stunning box. At a great price too...I ummed and ahh-ed for too long, the pre order price came and went. The deck went out of stock, so I looked on the marketplace. Found a great deal, near the same as the pre order price....I ordered two...the email came telling me the decks were on their way, my money had been taken...waiting with growing excitement.....Christmas present sorted....then received an email a couple of days afterwards saying unfortunately the dispatch email was wrong. The decks were not on their merry way to my door..I got a refund, then I saw a comment on another Amazon review talking about a little website in the UK, still selling the out of circulation 2nd Edition. So I knew it would cost a lot more, but the quality is far superior....I received two copies of the deck and 2 guide books in a week of ordering....I am very happy now...and the Christmas presents will be gratefully received. One star goes to Amazon itself for refunding me the whole amount and even giving me the voucher back on my account. Thank you Amazon, but in relation to the 3rd Edition mass production of the Wild Unknown....do not even bother ordering it.

May 2017

Well I thought I would catch up with an extra bite to my review.

Today I received the 3rd Edition Tarot Deck and Guidebook in the post. I know I said I wouldn't get it but succumbed only because I wanted a separate deck for reading other people's spreads. Amazon Marketplace is a good way of buying the same item at a lower price. You can get them new as well as used. The box was packaged well. Bubble wrapped then a layer of corrugated cardboard firmly taped up. The cardboard was also wrapped in parcel paper and tightly held in place with tape. I will definately recommend using SWbooks to everyone.
Inside the keepsake box itself, the Guidebook is wonderfully presented. I do have the original and think the newer book is better and has another three spreads to try.

Now for the cards themselves......yes, I do have an issue with the card stock. Far to flimsy for tarot cards. These cards are going to get shuffled excessively.....like all the time. These cards will get damaged easily. I have the Second Edition deck and absolutely love the stunning cards, the 3rd Edition deck feels very thin. For me, I will be trimming the borders off and rounding the corners this 3rd Edition. I am not worried about wear, as I have bought this particular deck for everyday useage. It is going in my bag wherever I go. It is going to be my workhorse, my people deck...my party piece....my study deck...
One other sad thing about this Edition....no extra card for its own personality..
I am changing my one star to 4 due to the packaging, the Guidebook and way my deck was secure in transit. The only let down is the card stock.

The Mary-el Tarot
The Mary-el Tarot
by Marie White

5.0 out of 5 stars An entirely more grown up tarot......, 5 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Mary-el Tarot (Paperback)
I have been watching reviews online by tarot enthusiasts who own this stunning deck of cards. These range from the "show and tell" to the top five "I can't live without ", with the Mary-el being in the number one or two spot. For the last couple or three weeks, which seem like the same amount of months in comparison, my own thoughts upon this tarot deck has ebbed and flowed with the moon phases. I am not a seasoned tarotist and only began taking a tarot workshop this week but my life has always had an interest.

As to the Mary-el tarot deck by Marie White.

The post arrived today with a very special brown box. I was to tell the truth expecting a bigger package. Opening it up I was thrilled to see the lovely and beautifully designed tarot box. Online reviewers stated how large the cards were, unable to shuffle without the greatest of effort. I know the deck isn't a standard tarot card size but felt it wasn't huge!
The accompanying book detailing the specific meanings and relating spreads is wonderful, and the cards themselves certainly deserve a whole lot of respect. I already know I have a tarot companion for the rest of my life. Many people have raved about the imagery so I won't go into detail in my review here. Holding the cards in my own hands I feel as though I have witnessed a new generation in tarot. Tarot has grown up and is demanding to be seen. This particular deck was first published in 2012, but until much recently has only come forth into the limelight.

The Mary-el tarot will be my own personal divination tool, which I plan to use in the darkening seasons and may purchase another 'lighter' deck for the spring/summer months. I have another set of cards which have been cleansed and charged in preparation for my workshops.

Update :
Since purchasing the Mary-el I watched a couple of YouTube reviews by owners stating that they have trimmed off the deck borders. Some have even gone as far as removing the titles from the bottom of the cards and adding again with their own handwriting to the borderless card. One person revealed this technique was intended to be done, by the creator, Marie White.
I did not umm and ahh over this! A week after getting the Mary-el tarot deck myself, I have spent a whole morning trimming off the black borders and bravely removed the titles. I have not written them back onto the cards yet, and may not do so, as I am hoping my intuition will gather strength by only seeing the intended imagery. The cards are now of a more manageable size to shuffle and look amazing when doing spreads.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: 1/7 (Harry Potter 1)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: 1/7 (Harry Potter 1)
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Magical....., 13 Oct. 2015
What a great beginning to a wonderfully enchanted series of books....A children's novel read secretly by just as many adults as that of prepubescent young minds. Each chapter equally magical and in bite-size chunks that are good for reading at bedtime or during a coffee or two. This is Harry Potter's first year at Hogwarts the school for wizards and witches, and 'the boy who lived', has a lot to learn in class. Realising that you are famous at the age of eleven after a dark lord has tried to kill you after taking the lives of your parents, being sent to stay at your aunt and uncle as a baby, and then being told when you start secondary school, you are actually a wizard like your father before you takes a while to sink in. On top of all that, you have to make friends and know your enemies, fight a troll, learn to play Quidditch and also defeat one or two teachers who are trying to murder you...oh and there are the end of year exams to pass unless you want to flunk magic.
Definately a rewarding read for adults and children and have already bought the six continuing books in the set. As for the book design itself, these new covers are detailed with a scene from each book and the pages themselves are a great quality with the text a great size that I can read well without my glasses on..although after reading Harry Potter I think glasses are pretty cool!!!

Interview With The Vampire: Number 1 in series (Vampire Chronicles)
Interview With The Vampire: Number 1 in series (Vampire Chronicles)
by Anne Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Vampire novel that doesn't suck.., 12 Jun. 2014
I have read many of Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, though not always in order. I love the way time passes quickly once you have settled down with one of her books. Interview with the Vampire is the first in the series. This is the book that started it all, the craving for Lestat. Forget the film with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, the book is way better. I am only half way through yet I felt the need to write a review in the hope it makes others buy this amazing novel.
It starts in a darkened room with a young man sat at a table poised with finger on a tape recorder. By the window, a vampire is gazing out onto the street waiting to begin a tale of his life..
Interview with the Vampire is a book to be savoured, not devoured in one sitting..take time with it. Allow it to seduce you into parting long moments in its company. You feel as though you are right there, seeing everything, hearing everything, all your senses coming together for the first time as one.
Pure escapism!!
Pure passion!!

Anne Rice has a way with words like no other author, bringing everything alive. Even the smallest details are noticed. Her language does make you slow life down alittle in a world were fastpaced is best. The Vampire Chronicles are the reason I am a huge fan of hers.
Looking forward to October 2014 when the eagerly awaited new book comes out with more tales of Lestat..

A Clash of Kings (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
A Clash of Kings (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
by George R.R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars And the night is full of terrors..., 31 May 2013
A Clash of Kings continues the great epic stories of the families of Westeros.
Four Kings and one Queen vie for the title of Ruler of the Iron Throne. Joffrey who holds it, Stannis and Renly, the brothers who should have it, Robb, avenging his fathers death and Daenarys, Mother of Dragons, now that her babies have been born at the end of the first book.
A great blood red comet glides across the sky, fore-telling prophesies for all. The story starts off slow but builds up over the course of the book. We get to hear of old friends, Tyrion, Catelyn, Bran, Daenerys and Jon. We are also treated to greeting new people, Davos, Stannis; and find out the back stories of Renly and Theon.
If you thought A Game of Thrones gave you shocks and thrills, the second in the series continues the excitment with many more twists and turns.
I found Daeny's chapters to be in short supply in this book, wishing that I could read more of her and the dragons.
Ayra's chapters I found frustrating. Wishing by the middle of the book that she would give up running and die.
Bran and his story was very interesting. Finally finding out about his dreams and what they hold for him in the future.
Tyrion has become the hero in this book rather than the monster in the first. He has grown somewhat, although not in stature.
Will not give too much away in plotline but all I can say is the night is full of terrors and what you thought held true gets turned upon it's head and spins full circle into lies and falsehoods.

Les Misérables [DVD] [2012]
Les Misérables [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman

2.0 out of 5 stars film would be 5 stars if i actually had it today.., 13 May 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Like many other Amazon customers, I pre-ordered the Les Miserables dvd as soon as I was able. After watching the film at the cinema I wanted the dvd as soon as it was released.
Come release date, I still have not received anything in the post, don't think I will be pre-ordering anything else from Amazon as I could have got this dvd from the supermarket today and be enjoying watching it this evening.
Having paid first class postage for this item, which was dispatched on Saturday, I expected NOT to still be waiting... :(
At the very least Amazon ought to give us all our postage back.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2013 12:17 AM BST

The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
by Robert Jordan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars The Eye of the World...., 10 Feb. 2013
I am only halfway through this book but felt I had to write a review. I have not read many fantasy novels, prefering the classics. I was intrigued by this series and umm-ed and ahh-ed over starting such a huge Epic. Fourteen books are a lot to take in when you aren't a true fan of the genre.
Other reviewer's have slated it, while others still have praised it to the heavens. Making my own mind up would be the only option...plunging head first into a world of Trollocs, Aes Sedai's, The Dark One and The Children of the Light.

"With the Wheel of Time, Jordan has come to dominate the world Tolkien began to reveal", states The New York Times on the cover. And so it begins......

As with most fantasy books, there is a group of friends getting into trouble and requiring to leave home on a perilous journey into the unknown. On the way fighting the forces of evil and darkness, seperating after a battle of a grand scale. Each not knowing if the others are alive and well or dead and forgotten. Meeting others along the way, each unsure these will be friends or foes. Secrets are uncovered and magical powers are revealed.
Having only read the first half of the book I can't write a proper review, nor give it the five stars it most certainly ought to deserve. Just wanted to say I am enjoying reading it, and come the end of The Eye of the World, will be purchasing the second book continuing no doubt on and on until the last and fourteenth.

One issue I would like to raise concerning Amazon and its pricing for the new book. The cover price is £6.99, yet Amazon is selling this copy at a staggering £7.49 as of 7th October 2015. Come on Guys, check the back cover before asking us to fork out our money!

Jesus Christ Superstar - Live Arena Tour 2012 [Region 2/4/5] [DVD] [2012]
Jesus Christ Superstar - Live Arena Tour 2012 [Region 2/4/5] [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Tim Minchin
Offered by Bonkers4Bargains!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Christ Super 5 Stars, 20 Jan. 2013
Having watched the Andrew Lloyd Webber search for Jesus show, I really wanted to see this Musical.
Decided to wait for the DVD. Watched it last night and WOW!! Great catchy songs, outstanding cast and Ben Forster is certainly the right choice for the lead. Favourite songs are Whats the Buzz and The Temple.
Finding the DVD in high street shops at prices over £12 I bought it in the January sale on Amazon at a brilliant bargain.

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire, 27 Nov. 2012
I ordered the Kindle Fire as I already own the original Kindle designed by Amazon. I wanted to update and decided that the Fire would be a great Christmas present.
Black Friday deal of £99 was the breaker.

Packaging on delivery seems very poor. Postage stickers stuck to the back of the box the Kindle comes in. The box doesn't seem very secure, could easily be stolen, dropped or damaged in transit. Suggest that if you are buying this as a gift for someone else, click on the gift option.

Upon opening the box, the Kindle Fire has no clear instructions, nor does it come with a plug to power it up. You seem to have to buy all the extras. Would expect a power supply if this was my first ever Kindle.

Have not used the Kindle yet, so can't review operation of it at this point. That is why I gave 3 stars. Just hope I can read all the books already purchased on the original Kindle on the Fire.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2012 10:54 AM GMT

A Game of Thrones (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
by George R.R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is WOW, 15 April 2012
Firstly I have to say that I have never gone for books in the fantasy genre. I also haven't read anything so hyped up, wanting to read books that no-one else tends to pick up. With the George R R Martin series beginning with A Game of Thrones, I found myself somehow wanting to see what all the fuss was about. I read this book a couple of years ago (April 2012) and enjoyed it so much I went out and purchased the rest of the books. Once the dvds came out I knew I was hooked.

I wrote a review after reading this book the first time round, and after re-reading it again over the last month (April 2014) I feel compelled to re-write my previous account..

The first thing to worry me was the unconventional use of character names instead of chapter numbers. I do like to know how far I have got in a book and how many chapters I have left to read. Telling the story through the eyes of each main character became a strong part of getting the reader gripped.

The book is very slow to start of with; I suppose all novels have to set the scene and introduce the reader to the many inhabitants of the book in their hands. However I found that I had covered 50 pages in one sitting. You do have to be able to sit quietly and concentrate on this book though. With lots of characters in many "houses", or families to remember who's who and what bad/good things they have committed it is sometimes hard to keep track. Saying that, there are no real true baddies and goodies, all have a mixture of both qualities as all people do. Each character is allowed to grow along the way, making you care about them, laugh with them, cry for them.

The plot soons picks up pace as each character ventures off on long dangerous roads on their own, leading towards the climax that brings all back to the same path and eventual war. The story I found did wain slightly in the middle. Finding reading was a slow plod and losing momentum alittle. Sticking with it, I soon had the pages turning with the speed of a knight on a horse charging into battle for the Iron Throne itself.

This is definately a book/series for adults only. Graphic in detail on such things as blood, gore, sex and in particular death. At around 800 pages long, this is indeed a tomb and a half. Make time for it as the plot grips you and doesn't let go. As many of the characters in the series say "in the Game of Thrones you either win or you die".

My eyes are burning after one final marathon evening trying to finish before bed. Now that I have come to the last page of A Game of Thrones I am set to begin the first page of the second book on the morrow; and continuing my journey of the seven Kingdoms....The price of glory comes with A Clash of Kings.

Enjoy and believe Winter is coming...

Page: 1 | 2