Profile for Sockymon > Reviews

SmoothSkin Gold Permanent Hair Reduction
SmoothSkin Gold Permanent Hair Reduction

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Waxing, 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used IPL machines in the past and found them to be a great alternative to waxing or shaving nuisance hairs. However, as with other models, this one comes with the usual disclaimer that only certain kinds of skin and certain kinds of hairs are likely to show the best results. Also, this needs to be given a good run of 8 - 12 weeks before you will really see the effects showing their best, so it's understandable that for first timers it can be a lot of money to put down when the outcome might not be as good as you'd hope. If you're blonde or ginger, you might not get value for money from this, but if you have light skin and darker hair, then odds are it will work well. The unit itself is pretty well built, though be aware that the device has a limited number of uses (120,000 flashes) before it will need replacing - that's the whole unit itself, there are no user replaceable parts.

Philips BRT383/15 BikiniGenie Trimmer
Philips BRT383/15 BikiniGenie Trimmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Trimmer, 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a small, battery powered trimmer that is convenient to use and for it's size performs pretty well. It has an easy to grip body, which is essential if you are using it to tend to any tricky to reach areas. There are a few interchangeable heads packages with the main device, but you will probably stick to the one that suits your own preference ether than swapping repeatedly. As mentioned before, this is a trimmer rather than a cutter, so it is best used on short hairs. The motor is serviceable, but it is quite loud when in use, which might be a little annoying. However, as long a you use high power alkaline batteries rather than cheap and cheerful ones, you'll get plenty of use between replacements.

Belkin Rotating 2.4 A Dual USB Mains Charger with AC Passthrough and Connected Equipment Warranty
Offered by BESTBUYIT

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Charger, 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I travel a lot on business and usually I have to make an effort to remind myself to bring the right chargers with me for my electronic devices. This is the perfect solution for me, as it allows me to charge my phone, e-reader and tablet all from one mains socket. Typically, the hotels I stay in don't have as many sockets as I would like and the ones they do are tucked away in awkward corners of the room. The way this swivels to allow easy connection by USB is a real bonus. A very handy tool to pack in my suitcase.

Rexel A5 Mesh Bag with Blue Zip (Pack of 10)
Rexel A5 Mesh Bag with Blue Zip (Pack of 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Document Wallet, 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are a pack of durable, zip up document wallets, that will hold either A5 pages or A4 pages folded in half. I wanted these to use for a recent holiday, where I had a thick wedge of travel tickets to take with me. They had been purchased online and so the tickets had been printed out on my home printer. By the time I'd printed them out and stapled them together, I had about 20 pages. Being able to fold them up and take them with me was essential and using these document wallets was the perfect solution. After 2 weeks of travel, all my printed documents survived the trip.

Nero Video Premium 2 (PC)
Nero Video Premium 2 (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Budget Package, 4 May 2015
This review is from: Nero Video Premium 2 (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a video editing package that offers many of the features found in more expensive alternatives, so for anyone who wants to tweak their home movies, this is worth checking out. For those who have dispensed with their optical drives, it might be a novelty to install software from a disc - in fact, I can't remember the last piece of software that I purchased on a CD/DVD. However, as this is primarily for people who want to edit movies and put them onto discs to share with their friends, then the requirement to have a physical drive shouldn't be a surprise. I did half expect to have a download code as an option in the box, but that's a minor point. This may not have a Hollywood level of filters and special effects, however, in terms of getting 'bang for your buck' this won't hurt your wallet.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Extra Coarse Hard Skin Remover Refills - Pack of 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Extra coarse pedicure, 17 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got the skin remover to help with removing hard skin from my feet and on my fingers and I didn't want to be caught out without some effective rollers if the packages set went through extended use. Having used the rollers packaged with my original Pedi Extra, I was surprised how durable they are and how much wear and tear they will take without it feeling like it's not doing the job anymore. These rollers are a little more abrasive than the standard set, so if you have some nuisance coarse skin then these would come strongly recommended. Very easy to fit into the hand unit and just as comfortable to use as the standard rollers.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Extra Coarse Power Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Extra Coarse Power Hard Skin Remover

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth polished skin, 17 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As unpleasant as it may be to visualise, I do sometimes suffer from patches of hardened skin around the balls of my feet and the joints of my fingers. I have tried various abrasive lotions and potions, or moisturizers but they've never quite done the job of making the skin soften or the hardness clear up. I saw these gadgets and thought that they seemed a bit like power tools for your feet, but I am really happy to have tried them because they are 1) nowhere near as uncomfortable to use as I thought ad 2) so much more effective than anything I've used previously. The rotating head is powered by an internal motor and strikes a perfect balance between being strong enough to clear away the hard skin, but does not hurt the area that it being used on. It's a little loud when you use it, but to be honest it only takes a few moments to smooth off any hard areas that I've tried it on. It feels more like a skin polisher than the grinder I was expecting, very handy to have.

Philips Satin Soft Wet and Dry Epilator
Philips Satin Soft Wet and Dry Epilator

3.0 out of 5 stars As good as epilators get, 17 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Admittedly I like the idea of epilators more than the reality of my experience using them. Being able to get a smooth finish that is as good as waxing but with none of the mess and hassle should be ideal, but the discomfort from using them just outweighs any of the benefits. This is definitely one of the better models that I have tried, in terms of comfort - I didn't want to break down in tears halfway though! However, the end result seemed to reflect that this wasn't quite as 'aggressive' as other epilators, in that the smoothness of my legs afterwards just wasn't as good as it could have been, or alternatively where I had to apply repeated use it actually started to rub uncomfortable on my skin. For those that get on with epilators, this might well be worth a try, but for people like me who don't - I haven't been converted.

Tefal Pressure Cooker Clipso +
Tefal Pressure Cooker Clipso +

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Pressure Cooker, 26 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My previous experience of pressure cookers was of the angry, hissing, spitting variety that I used back in the late eighties/early nineties. Thankfully, this is a breed apart from those stove top monstrosities. The unit itself is solidly built, with snug fitting connections that instantly confirm that this is a well designed piece of kitchen equipment. The basic method for using the cooker is still as simple as pressure cooking ever was, but without a lot of the noise and mess that many people understandably find off putting. I make a lot of soups and stews and a good pressure cooker is worth its weight in gold for those. Something I need to take more advantage of is cooking tougher cuts of beef, as they come out moist and tender after being cooked under pressure - so I'll be asking my local butcher for advice on which cuts work out as being particularly cost effective. This cooker allows me to make meals faster and without adding extra oils/calories to my food, a very useful addition to my kitchen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2015 3:25 PM BST

Sony HDR-PJ410 Full HD Handycam Camcorder with Built-In Projector
Sony HDR-PJ410 Full HD Handycam Camcorder with Built-In Projector

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Portable Camcorder, 19 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First – Could not believe how light the camera is. Having used previous Sony camcorders this is so small and light it is fantastic. It takes a little while to start up but getting recording is really nippy. It is also great that you can take stills while filming.
Second – the built in projector is really interesting, the idea of it seemed really quite gimmicky. However, the reality of it is a really fun addition. Playing back is really easy and the picture is clear and the focussing mechanism is simple.
There is some slight blurring of the image and image stabilisation is not perfect so shows more jerkiness than would be ideal. It works surprisingly well in low light, but have not found a night vision option so far - so I assume there isn't one.
The software that downloads, as most bundled software is, feels quite clunky and works but isn't spectacular. As is the case nowadays there is no proper manual with it, which is really annoying and makes a lot of the finer configuration work trial and error.
The cable in the handgrip is great, but there are lots of cables it links to to make it work, so not sure if it really saves any time at the end of the day.
Overall it is a great little camcorder for throwing in a bag, going on holiday and then reliving the moments whenever or wherever with the built in projector.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20