Profile for RayG > Reviews

LEGO DUPLO Jake and the Never Land Pirates 10539: Beach Racing
Offered by Best Price Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Small set but lots of fun, 8 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little Duplo set, my three year old son absolutely loves it. There's not a lot to it to be honest, it's quite a basic set, but having two vehicles that can be 'raced' has lead to a lot of excitement. My son also loves the trophy, which he awards to the winner each time. It's all the same sturdy Duplo quality that you'd expect, but I have to say that the sails are a little flimsy. Other than that it's a great little set.

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Windows EU English for Retail 1 User
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Windows EU English for Retail 1 User

4.0 out of 5 stars Some improvements, a few steps back, 24 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used Acrobat for a number of years, and always found it an invaluable tool for my home office. Having seen gradual changes for the last few versions, the new DC version is probably the biggest overhaul that I can remember. The traditional sidebar menu has been completely overhauled, being replaced by a much simpler set of icons that does away with many of the features previously accessed in this way. On the surface, the most commonly used features are now easier to get to (the menu now opens automatically upon loading a document), but many now open full screen instead of in the sidebar. For example, clicking 'Pages' and then 'Page Thumbnails' used to show the pages in order down the left of the screen. Now, you just click 'Organize Pages', but the whole document is replaced by the thumbnails.

In terms of performance, I've had a lot of issues with Acrobat DC on OSX at work, but at home on Windows I am pleased to say that most of these issues are not present. It's maybe not quite a snappy as Acrobat XI, but it's still very quick and pleasant to use.

Being such a major overhaul of the UI, there are bound to be times when it's frustrating having to change to a new design, and it has taken me a little longer than expected to get used to it. Now that I am, however, it's perfectly usable and I'm probably just as efficient in its use as I was with XI. My only real concern is that while some features are easier to get to, others are now hidden away, and I don't really like the excessive use of full screen. I probably wouldn't recommend that a seasoned XI user upgrade right now, but if you're new to Acrobat or are seeking a more streamlined interface from previous versions, then it's worth picking up.

Fisher-Price Little People Rollin Ramps Garage
Fisher-Price Little People Rollin Ramps Garage

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, sturdy little set, 20 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really neat little garage set, and a big improvement on the old Fisher-Price garage that I bought a few years ago for my eldest son. This time around the whole set feels much more solid and well put together, and elevator goes up and down smoothly without jamming (the previous set require adult intervention every 3 minutes as the lift repeatedly got stuck). The petrol pump also plays sounds on this set, which was a nice surprise. It was a also a breeze to assemble, and probably took less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

My youngest is fascinated the whole thing, especially the car when it goes down the ramp, and while he still needs some help with this, I'm sure he'll be able to play by himself in no time. It would have been nice to have another car or another little person, as this only comes with one car and one man, but that's not a big deal really. Overall, a great little set and much better than the old Fisher-Price garage.

Garnier Ultimate Blends Avocado Damaged Hair Shampoo 400ml Pack of 6
Garnier Ultimate Blends Avocado Damaged Hair Shampoo 400ml Pack of 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shampoo which really left hair nourished and beautiful, 12 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have very long, dry hair and I'm always keen to try out new shampoos although I'm generally quite sceptical as to their effectiveness. I was pleasantly surprised by this one, it left my hair feeling soft, sleek and manageable without being greasy. My scalp also appeared more moisturised and less flaky than normal. The product had a good consistency - not so runny that you wasted lots, but not so thick that it was a battle to get out the bottle. The shampoo also had a nice smell, mainly of the shea butter possibly a bit too strong for my tastes, but all the same it was a pleasant smell and the overall effectiveness of the shampoo more than made up for any minor niggles like this. This product has definitely earned itself a permanent place on our bathroom shelf!

Philips HD9340/90 Glass Kettle, 2200 W, 1.5 Litre
Philips HD9340/90 Glass Kettle, 2200 W, 1.5 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and efficient - and looks cool!, 10 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really stylish, efficient and comfortable to hold kettle. I really like having the main container made of glass, enabling you to see the water as it boils. It may sound strange, but it's actually really cool to watch a kettle boil when you can see all the thermals moving around and then eventually turning into bubbles. Naturally, I don't do this every time I make a cup of tea, but it's a nice distraction from work every now and then.

The kettle itself boils pretty quickly, and being able to see the water so clearly does really does help you judge the amount of water in it. My only criticism, and it really is a small criticism, is that the lid doesn't open as wide as previous kettles I've owned, so you need to be a bit more careful when filling it up. It's really a compliment to the kettle that this is the only criticism I can think of.

Highly recommended.

BT Wi-Fi Extender 300 Kit (Booster) - White
BT Wi-Fi Extender 300 Kit (Booster) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Decent Signal, 1 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a couple of wi-fi extenders in the past, with mixed results. Generally, I find wifi hotspots to be a much better solution to extended the range of a router, but these usually rely on either a wired mains electricity circuit or a LAN cable in order to work. A simply wifi extender like this is simply for boosting an existing wifi signal, which means you need to be within reach of a decent signal to begin with, otherwise you're just boosting a poor quality signal and will get a very poor connection as a result. The trick is to get the right balance between extending the signal as far as you can and making sure it's still high enough quality.

Previously, I have found wifi extenders to be very lacking, and I've only been able to extend wifi signal over relatively short distances. Fortunately, this BT N300 wifi extender is much better than the others I've used, and I can now comfortably reach my BBQ area with a moderate (and certainly usable) signal quality. I'm using a covered outdoor mains plug to power the extender, and it manages to reach right through the house to the router on the other side in order to pick up the signal, and manages to broadcast it about 8 metres across the lawn without any issues.

In terms of set up, it's very simple, and you just need to connect to it via a computer (or even a smartphone) and enter the login details for your existing wifi. It's not particularly difficult, and the instructions are laid out pretty well, so most people would be able to install this themselves without too much fuss. For anyone familiar with setting up a router, it should be a breeze.

Philips Sonicare AdaptiveClean White Brush Heads - 4 Pack (Recommended for DiamondClean & FlexCare Platinum)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Set of Toothbrush Heads., 6 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These Sonicare toothbrush heads are designed to fit most (but not all) toothbrushes in the Sonicare range. I'm using one in my Sonicare Platinum, and my wife is using one in her Sonicare Diamond (unlike mine, her toothbrush handle is black but it works just the same despite looking a little strange).

The heads are basically identical to the ones I have with my Sonicare Platinum toothbrush, and if you are already using one of these toothbrushes you'll know exactly what to expect from these replacement heads - excellent cleaning, with hard-wearing bristles that give an excellent, tingly clean every time.

Vie Magnesium Salt Flakes - 400g Jar
Vie Magnesium Salt Flakes - 400g Jar
Offered by Healthcare Direct UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great salts - but not sure how much to use., 6 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Personal Trainer had recommended Magnesium baths as a way of recovering from training, so I used these for a soak after I'd been for a run. The bath was very relaxing, and I think I suffered from less muscle fatigue after having a bath straight after training, as well as sleeping really well. The salts also had a nice softening effect on my skin.

I was less impressed with the instructions, I don't know what was meant by a cup - did they mean a US 'cup' measure? A cup from the kitchen? Was there meant to be a specific measuring cup with it? As a result I used up all of my salts over 4 baths, but I have no idea whether I used more than I needed or less. Better instructions and possibly a measuring cup would really improve the product.

Philips Sonicare HX9111/21 FlexCare Platinum Electric toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX9111/21 FlexCare Platinum Electric toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Well Built Electric Toothbrush, 3 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent electric toothbrush. Having used standard non-electric toothbrushes for the last few years, I was immediately impressed by how vigorously the Philips Sonicare Platinum toothbrush cleaned my teeth by comparison. In fact, my entire jaw felt like it was tingling for about an hour afterwards!

The toothbrush will automatically turn off after the right amount of time, and uses a handy alert feature that causes the motor to briefly pause when it's time to move on to a different part of your mouth. I actually find it quite enjoyable to clean my teeth with, and I've actually cleaned them twice in a row on a few occasions to give my teeth an extra polish.

The set comes with a neat travel case, but the 'travel charger' statement on the box is a bit misleading. Basically, you only get one charger in the box (or at least I did), which is a slim, 'portable' charging stand. The fact that it's quite small makes it suitable for taking around in a washbag, but it's not a specific 'travel charger', and it works just fine as as the sole charging device. Some of the other models come with a separate USB-powered travel charger, which is really useful if you can't get to a bathroom AC socket when camping or travelling, but alas this model doesn't offer anything of the sort.

Aside from the lack of a USB charger (which may not bother you anyway), this is a very high quality toothbrush with all the features you'd expect from a high end model. The charge lasts for ages, it's very sturdy and well built, and gives a very high quality clean.

The Wars of the Roses: The Key Players in the Struggle for Supremacy
The Wars of the Roses: The Key Players in the Struggle for Supremacy
by Matthew Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible, Engaging and Highly Informative, 17 July 2015
I have read several books on the Wars of the Roses over the years, ranging from dull, academic tomes to exciting, 'historical fiction', but this book is probably the best one I've read so far. It's well written, in an accessible yet highly informative style, and the author clearly knows the subject matter very well. Given the number of Richards, Henrys, Margarets involved, not to mention the number of people who share or inherit titles from their predecessors, it would be easy to allow a book like this to become confusing and muddled. However, I never found that to be the case with this book, and the author manages to deftly weave in the necessary background information and descriptions to keep the narrative clear and focused at all times.

It's a surprisingly engaging read at points, and even though I'm quite familiar with the main events of the Wars of the Roses, I found it hard to put the book down at times. The approachable yet in-depth style lends itself to both newcomers and enthusiasts alike, and I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about the Wars of the Roses.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16