Profile for jce > Reviews

Content by jce

jce "jo_ce" (hampshire, england)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mrs. Hemingway
Mrs. Hemingway

4.0 out of 5 stars An good read, even if you aren't familiar with Hemingway..., 11 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Mrs. Hemingway (Kindle Edition)
Before I read this book, I was of course aware of Ernest Hemingway but not quite familiar with his work. However this book seemed like it would be an interesting read. Ernest was married four times during his life and this book is told from each of his wives point of view. Ernest was a terrible philanderer and it was difficult to ever feel sympathy for him. His character was seemingly not entirely plasant in my opinion, he came across as basically a bit of a lush and quite arrogant. I'm sure no one doubted his genius but it came atatched to a troubled man.

But despite this, Ernest managed to be married 4 times and these women were apparantly devoted to him no matter what. They accepted his cheating as part of him just being Ernest Hemingway and apparantly no matter how much it upset them - it was the price to pay for being Mrs Hemingway.

The interesting thing is that the four wives are all quite different in character from each other. Hadley was demure, Fife was glamourous, Martha was adventurous and brave and Mary, well she was a loyal wife to the end.

It's hard to know what to feel about this bunch of women, all interconnected with one common denominator - Ernest Hemingway and told from their eyes. But despite Ernest's flaws as a person the fact is that they all stuck by him until he moved on to the next wife.

It was an interesting book, I'll admit that part of the way through I wasn't sure if I was enjoying it but pretty soon I found myself intrigued by each woman's story and what made them tick. The book jumped around a little from different times and years in each of the wives life which at times made it hard to follow and I found myself flicking back chapters to see where I was but overall it was an enjoyable read. I'm not quite how much of this story is accurate, obviously these are real life people...but of course i'm sure much of the scenes are fictionalised. The author sourced the material from various memoirs and papers to get a sense of historical accuracy.

So for a not quite non fiction book I'd recommend it as a good read that you can dip in and out of easily.

Wedding Photography: A Step by Step Guide to Capturing the Big Day
Wedding Photography: A Step by Step Guide to Capturing the Big Day

5.0 out of 5 stars finally a wedding photography book with actual information!, 21 Jun. 2015
This is the book that you should read if you are just starting out in this industry!

I have found that photographers are often so secretive with information that it feels impossible to get a foot in the door. But Rosie has not held back and pretty much everything you need to know is in here.

Having one wedding under my belt, whilst it went extremely well i knew there were a few things i couldhave done better. This book fills in those little gaps.

I will also say that i spent a fortune going on a workshop that probably told me less than this book did!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2015 10:30 PM BST

Sistema Microwave Soup Mug, 656 ml - Red/Clear
Sistema Microwave Soup Mug, 656 ml - Red/Clear

4.0 out of 5 stars Not leak proof!, 31 Jan. 2015
This is a great idea, and a great product but it's let down rather a lot by the fact that it's not leak proof. It's great for transporting soup - it holds a full large tin of soup easily with lots of extra room and I (maybe foolishly!) made an assumption that cup was leak proof because of the locking system it has like another well known brand of plastic storage tubs. However after transporting this in my lunch box i was left with definite leakage!

I like the handy vent at the top that allows you to microwave your soup without getting it all over the microwave - a constant source of annoyance in the work place kitchen!

I would recommend this item - but i just wish it didn't leak!

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit overrated in my opinion...., 10 Jan. 2015
I keep deliberating whether this should be a 2 or 3 star rating because honestly several days after finishing the book i still can't decide. I guess my assessment of the book was it was simply 'ok', and nothing amazing.

I think part of the problem with this book was that i desperately wanted it to be better than it was. I really liked the concept of the story, but didn't feel the execution of it was as good as it could have been. After half way I was beginning to flag slightly and three quarters of the way i found myself skimming past some pages.

I wanted a fiction book but what i felt i got was a animal psychological text book and i felt that the author was being incredibly indulgent of a subject clearly familiar to her (i read that she grew up with a psychologist father) but i'm not convinced the book needed to labour the points quite so much.

I think my other issue is that i really just couldn't connect with the main character Rosemary - actually, i struggled to like any of the main characters. They were all quite deeply floored in personalities and whilst that isn't a barrier to a good book (in fact quite the opposite) I found they just irritated me.

Hama Star 62 Tripod with Carry Case
Hama Star 62 Tripod with Carry Case
Offered by OptixMania

1.0 out of 5 stars Take note of the one star reviews and save your cash!, 29 Sept. 2014
I am not heavy on my equipment, and figured even if this was not an expensive substantial tripod, how bad could it be?

On it's second outing from its bag the support between the legs snapped off meaning that one of the legs now just falls off. I am not heavy handed, didn't force it but it appears that a few people have had this issue.

The other issue is that I have a canon 6d which is already quite heavy together with a 35mm lens I didn't trust this tripod one bit. The top plate kept dropping forward with the weight. It can be locked into place, but the fear of it dropping £2k of equipment worried me.

The build quality doesn't feel terrible at first but once you start using it , you realise that possibly you should have spent more!

Don't buy this tripod if you value your equipment!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a camera bag.., 20 Sept. 2014
I have owned this bag for about a month and a half now and wanted to properly use it before I reviewed it.

I have just invested in a rather pricey DSLR and two almost as pricey lenses so it made sense to not skimp on a bag to go with them (although i wouldn't normally spend so much on a bag!).

I wanted a camera bag that didn't scream 'camera bag!' which aren't always attractive and i wanted a camera bag that could be used to hold other things other than just my camera so i could take out just one bag with me.

This bag has so many pockets that it was easy to fit in all my camera gear and when i was on holiday in Greece recently it held my purse, sunglasses and all sorts of things for the day ahead.

the pockets at the front are easily accessible with popper openings and the bag easily holds everything you need.

Inside the bag the sections are interchangeable and i have set up all the compartments to fit my camera body and 3 lenses (if you keep a lens on the boy then i theory you could carry around 4 lenses with you.

If i have to be very picky then i will say that the my only downside comment would be that as handy as being able to set up the compartments are the velcro sides to the sections can be fiddly, but i don't think that there is much that could be done about that and i'd rather have the ability to set the bag up how I want it.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this bag!

Panasonic Lumix LZ20 Bridge Camera - Red (16.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Panasonic Lumix LZ20 Bridge Camera - Red (16.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 7 Aug. 2014
A bridge camera is a really good idea if you want to take photography more seriously than say, owning a 'point and shoot' but are not quite ready to move on to the world of dslr's which is a whole new world of lenses and expense!

Personally, I thought that this camera was no better than a 'point and shoot' in some cases worse. It's slow, focusing was at times hard, picture quality is not great and i had several incidents where the lens/zoom kept getting stuck.

I recommend spending a bit more money and buying something like a Canon. I compared the picture quality to a new Canon bridge camera I replaced this with and they were literally worlds apart. You really do get what you pay for.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The most effective flea spray..., 7 Aug. 2014
This is a truly amazing product!

I have two cats who despite my best efforts do occasionally get fleas and not to mention the fact that i have a job where i often go into flea infested buildings and very probably bring them home with me! This product is therefore incredibly useful!

I have tried many high street available flea sprays and despite using cans and cans they do not work. With Indorex, one spray of affected rooms does the job for me.

All my pet owning friends and work colleagues use and recommend this product and I do too - don't wast your money on inferior products that don't do the job!

Good Food: Best-ever Curries: Triple-tested Recipes
Good Food: Best-ever Curries: Triple-tested Recipes

4.0 out of 5 stars love these little books!, 3 Sept. 2013
Ok, so I've seen reviews where people are surprised that these are little books-yes they are! BUT they pack a lot in! A photo for every recipe as well as nutritional information for each recipe. I'm following calorie controlled diet so it helps because it means I can still have curry because I can just pick the healthier ones. There is also a good variety of curries, popular ones, veggie ones and Thai as well as Indian. Lovely :)

Coming Up Roses: The Story of Growing a Business
Coming Up Roses: The Story of Growing a Business

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read!, 30 Jun. 2013
This isn't a huge lengthy book, I read it in just a few hours-in between doing other things...but it was the perfect length. I'm an aspiring small business owner and it was an invaluable read in that respect. Cath undoubtedly was in the right place at the right time, but you can't help but admire Cath for the hard work she has put in to the business to make it what it has become. I really liked that Cath was very generous with information in the book, which made it very much more real. Cath really shows that she is a visionary and never let's the business stand still.

A great book to read even if you are just a fan of the brand. It'll make you look at the shops with a new perspective.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3