Profile for Reader in Beds > Reviews

Content by Reader in Beds

Reader in Beds (Bedfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Taken (Foxcraft)
The Taken (Foxcraft)
by Inbali Iserles

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best animal stories ever!, 18 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Taken (Foxcraft) (Paperback)
Twelve year old Olivia loves this book, which I gave her for Christmas, and she read it in three long sittings. Animal stories are her favourite genre - she also likes fantasy - and she says this was one of the best she'd ever read. She loved the exciting action, the atmospheric settings and above all the characters especially Isla. She would like the next book for her birthday and yes,I'll oblige. It's great to see her reading such linguistically inventive writing.

Quarter Past Two On A Wednesday Afternoon
Quarter Past Two On A Wednesday Afternoon
by Linda Newbery

5.0 out of 5 stars The opening is slow as openings of the best books so often are, 2 Oct. 2015
This story is lingering in my mind long after I first read it - a library copy - and now I must buy my own copy to re-read and answer questions the book poses: how much do we know of our own family and what has gone before? The opening is slow as openings of the best books so often are, but the pace quickens as we get drawn into the family drama. The urge to be your own person conflicts with the need to belong in most of us, so in the end we understand why Rose absconded, but does she understand the havoc she left behind her? Beautifully written, time and pace are evoked with what seems like effortless skill, but there's a grittiness that lifts this book into the realms of realism beneath the surface.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2016 9:28 PM BST

Scritch Scratch, We Have Nits
Scritch Scratch, We Have Nits
by Miriam Moss

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and educational., 3 April 2015
This a a great book, a story to educate and and entertain. Lively language, quirky pictures and an array of child and adult characters make this a good read for all the family.

Ghost Soldier: WW1 story
Ghost Soldier: WW1 story
by Theresa Breslin

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting read!, 18 Mar. 2015
A moving and exciting read which conveys the misery of war without traumatising young readers. I loved it and so did my 13 year old grandson who identified with the young protagonists in their search for their father. There's spookiness, humour, warmth and an intriguing plot.

The Brockenspectre
The Brockenspectre
by Linda Newbery

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Brockenspectre (Hardcover)
The Brockenspectre is an optical illusion but for Tomas it's a monster as real as the mountains behind his house. It's as real as his father, a mountain guide who comes and goes, and isn't happy in a domestic setting.When Tomas's father disappears after a family row he sets off to find him, despite feeling and fearing that the monster has caused his demise and may cause his. Tomas wants to be brave like his father, who he sees as a hero, but it is Tomas who is the hero of this novel. The reality he uncovers is hard to accept, hard for a young reader too. Poetically and realistically written, the writer portrays characters and relationships with all their flaws - as well as their endearing qualities - and the ending is a mix of light and dark, just like the brockenspectre who haunts the story.

Where's My Darling Daughter?
Where's My Darling Daughter?
by Mij Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for a daughter!, 3 Dec. 2014
I can't believe this wonderful, exuberant book is out of print. Every dad with a daughter needs one. I need one for a new baby.

Remembrance
Remembrance
by Theresa Breslin

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking love story, 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Remembrance (Paperback)
A wonderful book! I bought it when it first came out and now I'm buying another copy for the young women in my family. It's a thought-provoking love story that shows the pity of war.

Art as Therapy
Art as Therapy
by Alain de Botton

5.0 out of 5 stars A good guide, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Art as Therapy (Hardcover)
A great book for dipping into, I keep it by my bed. A wise book too. You don't have to agree with everything the authors say - that's the joy of it - it's provocative and inspires a personal response. The authors are NOT telling you what to think and feel as some critics have stated. They help you to see what the artist - or more accurately the artefact - may be getting at. I now visit galleries with greater confidence in my own ability to interpret and appreciate what I'm looking at. Another bonus is that it has inspired me to go and see some pictures I might previously have ignored or dismissed. It's a mind-opener!

A Similar Devotion
A Similar Devotion
by Susan Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars Passion, romance and political intrigue!, 14 May 2014
This review is from: A Similar Devotion (Paperback)
Susan Bell writes writes splendidly especially when evoking the past. She sweeps the reader into an eighteenth century world of passion, romance and political intrigue from the very first page and I must admit to some frustration when jolted back to the present. I was gripped by the historical story and wanted to know more. I knew very little about the Jacobite rebellion in the north-east, an area where my ancestors come from, and I am very grateful to this writer for bringing it to life so vividly.

The Cuckoo's Daughter
The Cuckoo's Daughter
by Griselda Gifford

4.0 out of 5 stars Family history with royal frisson, 14 May 2014
This review is from: The Cuckoo's Daughter (Paperback)
Set in the eighteenth century this 'wrong-side of the blanket' love story is full of fascinating period detail. Time and place are depicted vividly. Knowing the story is based on the family history of the author gives it even more authenticity. Louisa, the heroine is the author's direct ancestor. It moves along at a rollicking pace right up to the intriguing ending. I wish my family history was as exciting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4