Profile for B. Hetherington > Reviews

Content by B. Hetherington

B. Hetherington (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
United Nude Women's Fold Hi Ankle Boots
United Nude Women's Fold Hi Ankle Boots

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning boots, 23 Jan. 2012
I saw these boots in a department store last November and fell in love with them but they were out of my price range. When I discovered them for sale on Amazon for half the price and also with an extra 10% off offer I had no choice and placed an order for them in the Kimono shade! They arrived two days later from France and they are simply absolutely stunning. They are incredibly comfortable to wear and get so many admiring comments. I just love them!

Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
by Ben Hatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, poignant, horrific - I loved this book!, 30 Nov. 2011
It is a while since my children were the ages of Ben's children but reading this book brought back the horrors of long distance travelling with young kids with amazing clarity. Okay, our journeys weren't anywhere near as long as this one but several of his experiences - good and bad - rang so true. It is rare to find books that are laugh out loud funny but this is one of those. Unfortunately I was on a train when I was reading about the 'incident' in Leeds and my hysterical laughter brought very strange looks from my fellow travellers. But as well as being very funny this book is also very poignant and anybody who has had to go through the illness of a parent will find so much of Ben's experiences very close to home. By the end of the book I felt part of Ben's family and was rather sad to say goodbye. A great read and a wonderful gift for anybody who has ever been a parent or a child!

Alison Wonderland
Alison Wonderland

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful characters, 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Alison Wonderland (Kindle Edition)
Alison Wonderland is a charming and very English tale involving a variety of characters - even the ones who hardly appear have their own individual quirks such as the psychic postman. It has a otherworldly almost magical feel to it with the characters and the plot meandering and criss-crossing in a very interesting style that is quite different to the majority of mainstream fiction. A few weeks after reading I find myself still thinking about the people in this book and wondering what they are up - I cared about Alison and Taron and Jeff. Helen Smith has a great talent for character observation and my only problem with this book was it seemed to be over far too quickly, I wanted much more.

Timex Women's T2H331 Quartz Easy Reader Date Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Black Leather Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect watch for me, 19 Jan. 2011
This ticked all the boxes for what I required from a watch - classic design, easy to read without my glasses but not too big, comfortable to wear, an easy to use back light to know the time in the dark and water resistant plus it is a very good price. It is rare to find exactly what you want without making any compromises but this fits the bill perfectly. I love it!

French Girl Knits: Innovative Techniques, Romantic Details, and Feminine Designs
by Kristeen Griffin-Grimes

5.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect knitting book, 12 Feb. 2009
Having seen some of Kristen's designs before and knowing they were my sort of style, I was very keen to get a copy of this book and it certainly didn't disappoint. Often knitting books have maybe one or two designs in that I may consider making but this one has one or two that I may consider not making - each pattern just made me go 'Oh I must make that one next!' There are lots of designs using available yarns from Rowan or ones that it is easy to find alternatives for. There are also interesting design ideas using different forms of construction such as top down raglans and using circular needles so less sewing up is needed. Definitely a book I'd have no hesitation in recommending.

Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking
Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking
by Delia Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin (OMG a tin!), 21 Feb. 2008
I bought this book for my daughter to use at university. She likes good food and had intended to cook good quick healthy food when she left home but has discovered she doesn't have the time or the inclination to do that very often. I quickly flicked through the book and thought it would be ideal for her so bought it. When I got it home I looked at it more closely and realised there is a lot in there that I would like to make as well. Okay, I can't quite imagine buying frozen ready mashed potatoes but there are lots of other cheats and tips in the book that I really would use and adapt for those times when I really don't have time or energy and don't want pasta or a takeaway. So if you can get over the idea of opening a tin or buying from the freezer aisle there may be something in there for you as well. If you like to do things totally from scratch then maybe a book called "How to Cheat at Cooking" will never be appropriate for you whoever writes it.

Fitbug Pedometer with 12 Months Online Coaching from Fitbug
Fitbug Pedometer with 12 Months Online Coaching from Fitbug

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 10 Jan. 2008
I got the Fitbug in November 07 after reading about it in a magazine and reading some excellent reviews for it online. I have to say it not only works as a motivator to exercise more but it works as a weight loss tool - I have lost 4.5k since the end of November including continued weight loss over the Christmas and New Year fesivities. What I particularly like about it though is that it has enabled me to change my habits. From a very sedentary lifestyle I now really enjoy my daily walk - even when it is raining! I have become a walker, bought wellies and waterproofs and get very twitchy if I can't get my walk in for some reason. I have stopped using the car for short journeys and feel fitter and have more stamina. If you are thinking about buying the Fitbug I would say go ahead, it could well be best gift you could ever give yourself.

Fitbug Pedometer With 3 Months Subscription to Fitbug Free!
Fitbug Pedometer With 3 Months Subscription to Fitbug Free!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivation that works, 7 Dec. 2007
I am one of those people who decides to get fit, buys all the kit and is really motivated - for about a week and then something happens to put me off: it's raining, I'm busy at work, I just don't feel like it today. I bought Fitbug hoping it would work but with the knowledge of my past experiences at the back of my mind. I have to say that a month on the motivation is not only still there but I think I have actually made exercise a permanent and enjoyable part of my daily life.
Once your goals have been set you are given a daily step target plus aerobic step target and if you reach them you get a pink day on your personal page. Now I hate it if I don't make pink and I will do what I can to ensure I reach or exceed my targets - that includes walking when I always took the car even for short journeys, making sure I get to the gym 4-5 times a week and actually enjoying it. It also has a page for logging your food intake and that has made me rethink my diet.
I would really recommend Fitbug for anybody of any age and any level of fitness.

Knitting New Scarves: 27 Distinctly Modern Designs
Knitting New Scarves: 27 Distinctly Modern Designs
by Lynne Barr

5.0 out of 5 stars New techniques for even the most experienced knitter, 6 Nov. 2007
There have been a lot of lovely knitting books that have come out in recent months but none that has made me as excited as this one. I wasn't sure whether to get it or not as I am not that keen on scarf knitting to be honest but I thought I'd give it a go. I really wasn't prepared for what was hiding beneath the rather unexciting covers. This book is full of new ways of looking at knitting and the patterns rely on exciting ways to construct shapes, often based on architectural inspiration.

As soon as I started looking at the patterns I just wanted to get out my needles to try the techniques which involve short rows to form curves which I am familiar with, but also using double pointed needles to pick up and move stitches and wander off into experiments of design and construction.

I think this is possibly one of the most exciting knitting books I have ever seen and I can't recommend it highly enough for those who want to move out of the box and experiment with new ideas.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2012 7:24 PM BST

Brilliant Knits: 25 Contemporary Designs by Brandon Mably
Brilliant Knits: 25 Contemporary Designs by Brandon Mably
by Brandon Mably

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 16 Oct. 2001
There are some very pleasant patterns in this book but all of them are just too derivative of Kaffe Fasset. I know he learnt his craft in the studio of Fasset and it shows - it would have been nice to see something a bit more original to make buying this book worthwhile. If you already have the Kaffe Fasset books it's not really worth getting this one.

Page: 1 | 2