Profile for Frank Gordon > Reviews

Content by Frank Gordon

Frank Gordon "artsandflowers" (Yorkshire Dales)

Case4Life Red/Black Soft Shockproof Digital Camera Case Bag for Canon Powershot + Elph A, SX, S Series inc S120, S200, A3500, SX610 HS, SX620 HS, SX240 HS, SX280 HS, A1400, A2400 IS
Offered by Gadget Barn

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty bit of kit., 28 April 2017
I have only had this product for a couple of weeks so these are first impressions: I bought the case for my new Canon PowerShot SX610HS which fits into the case a treat. Quite a snug fit without being overtight, the case feels reassuringly well padded while also being lightweight and looking smart.
It has quite a bit of room for associated bits and pieces as well as the usual straps and will also fit onto a trouser belt. All in all, a pretty nifty looking bit of kit!

Towards the Light: The Paintings of Ornulf Opdahl
Towards the Light: The Paintings of Ornulf Opdahl
by William Varley

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 18 April 2017
An excellent - and beautifully illustrated - survey of the art of Ornulf Opdahl whose work deserves to be better known in this country. William Varley's essay is relatively brief but gives a good indication of the man and his art which is a terrific example of Contemporary Sublime, if there is such a thing. Opdahl's work maintains a wonderful balance between painterly force, spiritual insight and landscape references; how nice it would be to see an exhibition in this country.

Bosch Rotak 32R Electric Rotary Lawnmower with 32cm Cutting Width
Bosch Rotak 32R Electric Rotary Lawnmower with 32cm Cutting Width

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but . . ., 12 April 2017
I have had three Bosch Rotak 32's over the years - chiefly because of their light weight as I have to carry the mower up and down quite a big flight of steps to the 'lawn'. I have always been happy with the performance, given the small size and lightness, but the assembly instructions seem to get worse each time the model changes. Other reviewers have noted how dreadful the instructions are with the current model and I heartily agree - in a couple of places they seem to be in the wrong place, if not actually wrong.
It took me an hour to assemble the mower, and only then thanks to the video on YouTube which is excellent - although the young woman doing the assembling is clearly stronger than I am. (Or perhaps the parts were doctored in advance.) I found it impossible to get the handles inserted fully into the body of the mower, though they won't come out as the fit is so tight.
At least the wheels still come attached.

Premium Heavy Duty Automatic Electric Pencil Sharpener, 3 Ways To Power: Mains, Battery & USB Cable To PC, Perfect For Home, Office & School, Sharpens Pencil At Perfect Point, Compact & Reliable by SunrisePro
Offered by JJL Trust

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent once I'd worked it out, 9 Jan. 2017
The first couple of times I used it, the results were excellent. Then I found I wasn’t getting anything like the sharpened point expected. Only after reading someone else’s review did I realise that I must have been pressing the pencil in too hard. And only from that review did I learn that I could turn the cutting blades by hand to clear the broken lead, having removed the clear Perspex front and disconnected the sharpener from the power supply. Turning the blades wasn’t easy but can be done, and the broken lead came out.

Thereafter I have been a bit more gentle in inserting the pencil and results have been outstanding. A beautifully sharpened point every time. I am an artist and use very soft (9B) and carbon pencils a lot; they wear down very quickly and I was spending much time and energy in sharpening with a
knife because most pencil sharpeners break the point off very easily. This electric pencil sharpener is outstanding once I’d worked out how to use it properly.

There should be more documentation to clearly explain how to use it – I wasn’t sure for example whether the pencil was meant to rotate in use or not. Not, of course, but you need to hold the pencil in position and keep the sharpener against the worktop.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2017 11:07 AM GMT

Exploring Avebury: The Essential Guide
Exploring Avebury: The Essential Guide
by Steve Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential? Without a doubt., 7 Jun. 2016
I bought this book when in Avebury in May 2016, presumably immediately after publication. I can only echo the views already expressed here: this is simply the best book on Avebury and its monuments to be found. It is a clearly and concisely expressed guide, beautifully laid out and with a wealth of excellent photographs and diagrams. I have looked into it almost daily since our return home and still find things in it to ponder over. No visitor to Avebury should be without it.

Compatible Ink Cartridges replacement for Epson Expression Photo XP750, XP850, 24XL (6 ink)
Offered by Odyssey Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 20 July 2015
An excellent product at a bargain price. Highly recommended.

Google Nexus 10 Tablet Case - G-HUB PropUp BLACK Stand Case Cover (with integrated stand function and magnetic sleep sensors) for Google / Samsung Nexus 10 with BONUS: G-HUB ProPen Stylus

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 21 Feb. 2014
A first-class product which does a useful (even essential) job really well. Hard to see how it could be bettered - and at a very good price!

Dirty Snow (New York Review Books Classics)
Dirty Snow (New York Review Books Classics)
by Georges Simenon

5.0 out of 5 stars There's more to Simenon than Maigret, 6 Sept. 2012
Simenon is perhaps the most under-rated novelist of the 20th century. I love his Maigret books and can never understand why they always seem to be out of print - I have re-read my collection over and over again.

But there is a lot more to Simenon than Maigret. His writing is incredibly simple, misleadingly so. Beneath the simplicity a whole world of feeling and action seeths and boils. His characters are often unpleasant and vicious, as in the character of Frank in 'Dirty Snow'. There is just a hint of redemption for Frank, but not much. We follow him on his downward spiral - and he starts pretty low down as it is. Yet we are fascinated, drawn inward and onward, spellbound by Simenon's writing - based,as it would seem, on a remarkable knowledge of our darkest inner workings.

There's no fun here and little in the way of humour; instead one feels gripped by the throat until finally the last page releases us to emerge into the fresh air once again. A great book.