Profile for EFP > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
A Bird in the Hand: Chicken recipes for every day and every mood
A Bird in the Hand: Chicken recipes for every day and every mood

5.0 out of 5 stars A veritable cornucopia of awesomeness, 2 May 2015
A Diana Henry cookbook is like a well stocked junk shop (bear with me on this analogy) - exciting, fascinating and with something wonderful tucked away in every nook and cranny. Plus, every time you go back, you find something new and unexpected. I would say, don't just buy this book but go out and buy all of her books because they're all brilliant.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2015 6:57 PM BST

A Year in my Kitchen
A Year in my Kitchen
by Skye Gyngell

5.0 out of 5 stars Flavoursome recipes, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Year in my Kitchen (Paperback)
It took me ages to decide whether or not to buy this book - unfortunately I find Ms Gyngell's writing style slightly irksome (am I alone in finding her language a little self-obsessed? Possibly.) Moreover there is an element of fussiness in her cooking (always peel celery? Really?)
However, these are somewhat personal observations and I found that once I got past those initial reservations, the food was a revelation. This woman has an incredible understanding of flavour and the recipes are perfectly balanced. There is one recipe in this book, for Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup, which is nothing short of perfect. If you were to subtract or add a single element, that fine balance would be lost. And it is this which epitomises the recipes in this book: beautifully crafted, sublime and an absolute delight.

The Scandinavian Kitchen
The Scandinavian Kitchen
by Camilla Plum

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really good, 22 Nov. 2013
I agree with another reviewer that this is the best book on Scandinavian cooking so far available. There are some really interesting recipes, many traditional and others with a slightly modern twist. I love the beetroot terrine and the roasted root vegetables with elderflower cordial; both use conventional ingredients but in ways I'd never thought of before. However, what makes this book really stand out from the pack is the detailed description of ingredients and where their place lies in Nordic cooking. For the first time I've felt the beginning of a deeper understanding of Scandinavian food culture, which means that the recipes in this book (wonderful as they are!) are a steppping point towards being able to experiment with ingredients and flavours. Top notch.

The Lebanese Kitchen
The Lebanese Kitchen
by Salma Hage

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cookbook, but..., 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
You can just tell from the size of this cookbook that it is comprehensive, thorough and contains a huge number of recipes. You could cook from this book for a year and not exhaust the store of wonderful recipes. If you love Middle Eastern cuisine, then this book should be in your kitchen.
I do have one complaint, however. There is almost no background information on Lebanese cooking, its influences and historical development (although it does explain the more frequently used ingredients). When buying a cookbook on a specific national cooking, I personally need this deeper understanding; it helps me to improvise in my own kitchen and to know how to create a meal, rather than just following recipes. In this case I feel that I need a companion cookbook that provides this missing link.
Having said that, I would still recommend this book.

The Ethicurean Cookbook: Recipes, foods and spirituous liquors, from our bounteous walled garden in the several seasons of the year
by The Ethicurean

5.0 out of 5 stars Something new and exciting for the bookshelf!, 6 Aug. 2013
For all cookbook addicts like myself this is a must-buy. Things I like about this book are: the photography (the photo of beetroot carpaccio is just stunning), the use of (mostly) easy-to-find ingredients, the list of resources for harder-to-find ingredients, the recipes for alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, the nerdy food-facts scattered throughout the book and the ethical approach to utterly delicious food. I've made quite a few meals from this book now and none of them cost a fortune, plus it gives some ideas for using stuff I grow in my garden but have struggled to find a use for (such as lovage, for example - right now I am drying lovage seeds to make the rabbit confit with lovage breadcrumbs).
I hope I've convinced you to buy this book. If you care about eating good, sustainable and delicious food, then you should at least consider it.

Food From Plenty: Good food made from the plentiful, the seasonal and the leftover.  With over 300 recipes, none of them extravagant
Food From Plenty: Good food made from the plentiful, the seasonal and the leftover. With over 300 recipes, none of them extravagant

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible, 4 Mar. 2013
For the first few weeks and months after I bought this book it was my third favourite Diana Henry cookbook, lagging behind after the apparently more exotic Crazy Water Pickle Lemons and Roasted Figs Sugar Snow. However, it has quietly worked its way up to number one spot and is probably the most frequently used cookbook in my substantial collection. What's so great about it? It's quite simple really: there are lots of recipes, they work and I always manage to find a recipe that will use up that half a cabbage lurking in the bottom of the fridge or something exciting yet cheap to make with lentils.
Buy it, it's great - and you'll never need to buy another cookbook again!

Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
by Tessa Kiros

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book but infuriating binding, 9 Oct. 2012
The recipes brought together in this book are beautiful and well written. One other reviewer has said that there is nothing new in this book; whilst that may be true for some, nonetheless the recipes are presented in such a way that they are easy to follow and really work. As an added bonus the food photography is stunning. I would have loved to give 4-5 stars.
However, I have a huge issue with the binding for this book; it is very thick and bound so tightly that it is almost impossible to use in the kitchen. I've even tried standing on a double page to make it lie flat and even that hasn't worked very well. I can't even get a spread to lie flat long enough to squeeze it into my photocopier. As a result I rarely use this book, which is a terrible shame. Note to publisher: cookbooks are not just for the coffee table they are for life in the kitchen.

Salt Sugar Smoke: How to preserve fruit, vegetables, meat and fish
Salt Sugar Smoke: How to preserve fruit, vegetables, meat and fish

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the collection, 11 Sept. 2012
I hesitated before buying this book. 'Do I really need another book on preserving food?' The simple answer is yes. As ever, Diana Henry manages to find new angles and original, inspirational ideas for combining ingredients. The woman is a genius. Many of the recipes are influenced by Scandinavian traditions and finally I have found a recipe for home salted cod. If you are into making home preserved food, this book is definitely worth buying; even if you have lots of other books on preserving, you will find something new in Salt Sugar Smoke.

Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook
Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook
by Sarah Raven

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendously good, 28 Jun. 2012
It's just not fair. Sarah Raven can grow stuff in the garden, she can write, present telly and, dammit, she can cook. This is a collection of wonderful recipes, some of which I can guarantee you won't find in any other cookbook. This is a weighty tome and well worth the money because it is packed full of recipes. The photography is mouth wateringly stunning too and just in the right proportion, i.e. it doesn't dominate the book as is so often the case with cookbooks at the moment.
I can't recommend this book highly enough. It really is just great.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 29 April 2012
I spent ages researching frying pans before finally buying this product - and I am so glad I did. It has a good heavy base and gives a good even heat all round. It can be used at high heat without food sticking to it and, on the odd occasion that something does stick to it, you just give it a good scrub without fear of damaging it.

Page: 1 | 2