Profile for Mr. P. J. Gibbons > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. J. Gibbons

Mr. P. J. Gibbons "GibboP" (london)

Covenants: A Borderlands Novel (Borderland (Roc))
Covenants: A Borderlands Novel (Borderland (Roc))
by Lorna Freeman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Give the cat some stick., 27 Sept. 2010
Firstly I should say this book failed the 100 page test - it didn't grab me within 100 pages so I gave up and moved onto another book. So it would be unfair to give this book too few stars and this review should be judged on that limited read. However, and the reason for the review is that, after all the praise for this book which persuaded me to give the book a go, it's a story involving a talking cat and a murdered stick; If I had known this I wouldn't have purchased it. While elves and dwarves are much maligned in fantasy these days by reviewers I can't get to grips with a fantastical talking moggy and the hullabaloo that the murdered stick (because trees are alive of course) caused. Having said that it was well written and if you can see past the cat/stick scenario then you should try it. That is if that paper the book is written on isn't from a murdered tree.

The Edge Of The World: Book 1 of Terra Incognita
The Edge Of The World: Book 1 of Terra Incognita
by Kevin J. Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars The brink of a good novel, 30 Jun. 2009
I had great expectations of this book, all the blurb lead me to believe it would be a really good adventure, but in the end I was disappointed and unfullfilled. It had all the components of what a great book should be; lots of potentially interesting characters, lots of things happened, potentially a great fantasy epic set at sea and written by KJA who by all accounts is a good author -especially as I've never read anything of his until this book. I was set, ready to be entertained.

However I was really disappointed. The main problem for me was that I just didn't feel involved; the book seems to be an account of events rather than an engaging narrative that you feel part of. I kept thinking of the events being described by a newscaster, "In other news a giant sea serpent attacked a ship. It was killed." The author's style meant, for me, there was no drama - while a lot happens in the story, it just didn't draw me in so I wanted to stay up late to read more. Indeed I just wanted to finish it in the end. Also, it was all rather predictable which normally isn't an issue if you can engage with what's happening. Another also, it is described as fantasy but there is no magic apart from a magic compass which is never used. So it was just a story set at sea with a magic compass not a fantasy novel. Shouldn't `fantasy' have magic in it? Otherwise is in the A-Z section of Waterstones, surely.

If this is KJA's normal style then his current fans will love this book. If however you like your stories to be gripping, you characters to be interesting and your suspense to be dramatised then read one of the many other authors who have done much better.

The End Of Mr. Y
The End Of Mr. Y
by Scarlett Thomas

1.0 out of 5 stars The end of Ms T, hopefully, 19 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The End Of Mr. Y (Paperback)
This has to be the worst book I've read in years. It was self indulgent, pseudo scientific, existentialist nonsense. The narrative frequently went on rambling repetitive forays which failed to be even remotely believable and characters that sole purpose seemed to be to spout the same uninteresting concepts. This book made a mockery of other great science fiction novel which should all be read before considering this one. I can't believe that people who liked this book read the same book as me and Philip Pullman should be ashamed to have his name against the review on the back cover. The story itself was limited and only seemed to be in place to fill in a couple of pages between the authors attempt to get her odd scientific ideas published. To improve this book I would add some more depth to the story, less science and philosophy; in fact just read another book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2009 2:11 PM GMT