Profile for M. Froisland > Reviews

Content by M. Froisland

M. Froisland (Oslo, Norway)

Page: 1 | 2
Complete Japanese Joinery
Complete Japanese Joinery
by Yasuo Nakahara

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks very good, 8 Aug. 2011
This looks very good, I haven't tried making any joinery using the book (because of time constraint), but the book is very good as far as I can tell.

L5r Legend of the Burning Sands
L5r Legend of the Burning Sands
by AEG

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 8 Aug. 2011
Introduction
I was and is a huge fan of Legend of the Five Rings (L5R). I have read almost every supplement of the first edition. I bought the third edition a year ago, but haven't gotten around to reading it. I picked it up a few weeks ago and at the same time was made aware of Legend of the Burning Sand and decided I would read that one instead. What follows are my thoughts and opinions of Legend of the Burning Sand (LBS).

Legend of the Burning Sand
First off, the book is the same high quality print as the third edition L5R, with heavy glossy paper. Immediately one notice that the book is organized differently. It starts with a long section of game rules, whereas L5R starts with the setting and culture.

The rules are easy to follow and are very close to the original 1st edition. I never looked at the second d20 edition. They seem highly inductive of a good gaming experience.

The setting is not as unified as that of L5R. There are several nations, and several cultures presented in the book. This is, in my opinion, the first mistake. Even though they have far more information about each culture than the average fantasy setting they are falling way behind the masterpiece L5R.

The setting information and the history of the Jewel (the major city) is not very interesting and it did not fascinate me. When reading L5R I get ideas for stories to tell immediately, not so with LBS. Having said that, they have chosen a very nice way of telling the story. Instead of one huge section containing all the information on the history, as other games do, they have split it up based on faction. As each factions story is told pieces of the larger history gradually falls in place. This makes the history easier to read, even though it is a not very fascinating story.

Conclusion
The system is an abbreviated version of that in L5R and is well suited for any fantasy settings. There are a few factions and their history that could be used more or less as written in other settings. However, the setting as presented is not nearly interesting enough to be used as is.

Compared with other settings, LBS is better than your average fantasy game. However, as it is a spin-off of the great Legends of the five rings, I was disappointed because I expected it to hold the same high standards. So now I'll just take the original third edition L5R book off the shelf again. (I ended up buying a copy of the revised edition... I'll let you know what I think when I'm done with it).

Hunter the Vigil (Hunter)
Hunter the Vigil (Hunter)
by White Wolf

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough good stuff, 8 Aug. 2011
The core rule book for Hunter: The Vigil has gathered dust in my bookshelf for about a year now, well in my girlfriends shelf anyway. It would probably still be standing there gathering dust if my Kindle hadn't broken down the day before my vacation.

Hunter: The reckoning had in my opinion many flaws. It made the hunters to much like just another brand of supernatural creature fighting their favorite enemy. In the new version hunters are just normal, with a tidbit of extra juice through some special willpower rules. I like this part. Then they start ranting on about this organization of hunters and that organization. Most of them are not particularly innovation. Each organization had its own special brand of juice. Some has special equipment, others rituals or magic. Which brings us back to the feeling from reckoning that hunters are just another brand of supernatural creature.

If you want to run a game with large organization hunting supernatural creature, this is a book for you. If you just want a game of a small group of hunters doing their very best to survive against the horror of the nights this book doesn't give you a lot of help. Stick with the core rule book for world of darkness and a book or two about monsters and you'll do fine.

The only area where I think this book can be really useful (aside from filling the bookshelf) is if your running a different supernatural game and need some hunter antagonists. In such a game I can see how a big organization of hunters might be both scary and worthwhile for the story.

Scion Companion
Scion Companion
by White Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Good i you got the rest, but not excellent., 8 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Scion Companion (Hardcover)
This is ok addition to the Scion game. There is no must have in this book, maybe with the exception of how to design your own relics. It expands on the rules, gives more of everything, add a few new pantheons.

Scion Ragnarok
Scion Ragnarok
by Dean Shomshank

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Scion Ragnarok (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. The included scenario is very entertaining even though it is a one shot adventure and difficult to have as part of a ongoing campaign. The added information about nors mythology is very good. I wish the could have more phanteon specefic boons. In a all Asir group where everybody have access to jotunblot it soon become dull.

Scion: God
Scion: God
by Carl Bowen

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game, 8 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Scion: God (Hardcover)
This book is excellent in the way it is written, and it seems well though trough. However there is a bit much space taken up by the evolving of the games signature characters and the included scenario. I wish they could have used this space to expand on the game instead.

I recommend this game.

Leadership in Organizations:Global Edition
Leadership in Organizations:Global Edition
by Gary A. Yukl

1.0 out of 5 stars Startingpoint for a researcher, 16 July 2011
This book is no page-turner. It is the most difficult book to read that I have ever read. It is probably a good startingpoint if you want to research leadership. However, if you want to learn about leadership I would find another book.

The Underwater Photographer: Digital and Traditional Techniques
The Underwater Photographer: Digital and Traditional Techniques
by Martin Edge

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 6 Sept. 2009
This book is all I expected and more. It is a must have book for any aspiring uw-photographer. But be prepared for the ensuring urge to buy more and better equipment that you will for sure get when reading this book.

Dark Ages Cappadocian
Dark Ages Cappadocian
by Andrew Bates
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, and interesting, 14 May 2009
This is a interesting book. It is made all the better because it is a continuation of the previous clan novel. I would not recommend reading this as a standalone book.

The events portrayed in this novels, are events that I haven't heard about before. Even though I have read a lot of wod suplements. That made it even more interesting. With minor modifications you could use this book as a pre made adventure in your rpg game.

Dark Ages Setite (Vampire: The Dark Ages Clanbooks)
Dark Ages Setite (Vampire: The Dark Ages Clanbooks)
by Kathleen Ryan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story, but not perfectly written, 14 May 2009
This was a page turner and it might even have been a candidate for a 5, but some sections and sentences are very badly written and confusing. The author makes leaps in logic or try to cram too much into a few sentences. I almost stopped reading it before I came to page 50, I'm glad I continued.

The story is very entertaining, and is very different from the preceding dark age clan novels. It is possible to read this book as a stand alone book.

Page: 1 | 2