Profile for Duncan Forbes > Reviews

Content by Duncan Forbes

Duncan Forbes (Bishops Stortford)

DIY Probate Pack
DIY Probate Pack
by Phil Weston
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and Clear Explanations of process and legal jargon, 27 Feb. 2016
This review is from: DIY Probate Pack (Spiral-bound)
This pack was brilliant. It provided me with a clear and concise explanation of what needed to be done, what the 'legal jargon' meant, and crucially the level of detail you needed to go into when dealing with the deceased assets and belongings. My fathers estate was below the inheritance tax threshold so we only needed to fill in 3 forms. Its not a hard process, but you do need to be methodical, and you do need someone to read through and check what you have done before you send off the forms. I didn't need to phone/email the helpline, but i was always conscious that it was available if i couldn't understand something.

Definitely Value for Money, i obtained the grant of probate within 3 months.

Bottleneck - Our human interface with reality: The disturbing and exciting implications of its true nature

5.0 out of 5 stars Facinating implications of limited information rates, 12 Dec. 2013
In this book Richard shows how we are constantly bombarded with vast amounts of information. Intuitively we feel that we are taking all this information in- and then saving it, or discarding it. Richard demonstrates using well researched and referenced sources that the this cannot be true, and that we must be taking-in only tiny-tiny fractions of what is presented to us.

For me the best part of the book was the second half where he explores the implications of our ability to only take in small amounts of information. I am an engineer, not a philosopher. Once I'd finished the book and discovered the idea of a `youniverse' I felt a bit like Zephod Beeblebrox after he survived entering the total perspective vortex (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams). Zephod entered the vortel whilst travelling in his own personal universe; he was the most important person in that universe. However I can see that some readers might come to the opposite conclusion and feel that they are just a dot on a dot on a dot....